Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAR CARS out of New Rochelle...any good???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 08:19 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Post PAR CARS out of New Rochelle...any good???

I am looking at a car that is at PAR CARS in New Rochelle, NY and thought I would ask if any one on the board has bought a car from there or had any work on their car done there and if they are a reputable Porsche shop? I would have to fly out there for the car but would like to know if they are any good before hand.
Thanks for any information.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:35 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
In the past several years I have been on Rennlist, I have never heard any negatives about them. They sell used parts and are a Recaro dealer. Years ago I bought some parts from them.

Good luck with your pcar search. It seems there are lots of nice cars for sale these days.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:40 PM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ploglet,

I have had experience with PAR Porsche both as a user of their service to consign a car and as a potential buyer.

They are about 20 minutes from where I live and they list 100+ cars at any time on their website.

The cars are of varying degrees of perfection and the prices are also set ultimately by the actual owner of the car in question- some of whom will or will not listen to reason.

The cars are not always as "perfect" as their listings may state- maybe some of that is not PAR's fault since most of the cars are not actually on site, but are seen by appointment and time may have passed since they were last seen by the PAR people. I do believe that everyone I have come into contact with there knows their Porsches.

I have seen some pretty beat up cars(I drove a C4S there that felt like no other I had driven- and not in a good way), but have seen some real beauties as well.

I guess it is an individual thing as I know of people that have purchased there and been very happy.

One of the attractive things about dealing with them is in fact that they do not own the cars that they represent and they have plenty to sell you- so they have no vested interest in selling you any one individual car to .

Well, if I can confuse you any further, let me know. I would also be willing to take a peak at anything they might have for you should you be interested.

Hope this is of some help.

Steve
'97 993tt
Old 08-25-2002, 11:35 PM
bloke
Racer

If you want some input! Send me an email.

Good luck with your search.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:05 AM
ploglet
Pro

Thanks for the response. I sent a couple emails to Bloke and Privates8 to learn more about the dealership. Privates8, I was wondering which C4S you drove as that is the model car I am looking at there. Hope it is not the one I am looking at! Is there an independant shop you would recommend that I have the car taken to for a PPI? As I will either be driving the car back to Colorado or shipping it, I dont want to find out about problems with the car AFTER I get the car back to Colorado. Or worse on the way home! Paul has told me the car is in good condition and that the car is already to be driven back to Colorado but with the mixed responses from the board....?
Old 08-26-2002, 12:09 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
Being from Upstate NY, I had several opportunities to look at and discuss various 993's over the past two years with PAR. I found them to be rude and uncooperative at every turn. There is no way that you should consider them as a possible source for yor car. During my last attempt to deal with them, I asked for info copies of the service records for a 1996 993. The owner of PAR refused and said they don't provide this information and "the car is the car, buy it or get lost". Stay away from these guys.

I suggest doing what I did - make friends with a few of the local Porsche dealers and shops that deal with the 993 owners. You'll get a refrerral on a sweet car - one that you can track it's history on. I found a 1997 C2, arena red and gray this past January through the Porsche dealer in Buffalo. Original owner and 19,000 miles. Perfect.

Good luck

Mike Cap
1997 C2
Old 08-26-2002, 02:20 PM
ploglet
Pro

Wow Mike. That is the most direct "against" ParCars that I have read. Seems like ParCars may have too many cars for their own good. As I have read a few posts where the representatives have either not gotten back with the car inquiries or they have just been flat out rude to the potential buyers.
I have spoke to Paul, the owner a handful of times so far and he seemed to be nice and willing to answer any questions about the car that I had. Now, I am in Colorado and it is going to be hard to go out and just look at the car. So he has that going for him. I will have to fly out there to see the car and if I get there and the car is not as it has been described....then there is issues to resolve. I am hoping this will not be the case. I am lucky enough to have one of the great Rennlisters offer to go and look at the car for me. Thank you again privates8! I hope the car checks out and the PPI I plan on having done works out as well. If not...oh well I will keep looking.
Thanks for the input about ParCars though Mike.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:07 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was perusing their site and found one statement that at least implied they were trying to be honest about their cars...

The description on a 1997 C4S listed for $67,500 says... "A Mint overpriced C4S Coupe. Seen by appointment".

Too funny.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:18 PM
ploglet
Pro

Rick,
Yeah I saw that in the description. At first I thought it was a misprint but I think they are serious as they do not own most of the cars on the lot. Seems that they owner though may see that and think it is not so funny.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:16 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With so many nice cars out west, I'm surprised you're looking out here. That said, IIRC PAR doesn't own most of the inventory, they are there on consignment. Unless it was a specific model/color/year/optioned car that you HAD to have I wouldn't fly out to Colorado to look at a run of the mill 993.

Paul has replied promptly to any enquiries I've had, with accurate information. As I'm close I'd consider them as a source. He does seem to have tons of cars, so you're chance of finding something specific is better.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:49 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

PAR seems to have some nice cars, but they all seem to be around 20% overpriced. I wonder if PAR's consignment fee is 20% of a car's value....
Old 08-26-2002, 10:42 PM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

J-McDonald,

Since I used them in an attempt to sell my M3 about 2 years ago, I can tell you that at least as of that time, their commission was 6.67%(to the best of my recollection) of the purchase price.

Steve
'97 993tt
Old 08-28-2002, 03:45 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My office is 2 blocks from PAR and 5 miles from my home. If you need a pair of eyes, feel free to email me.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:20 PM
Porsche911NYC
Advanced

Highly recommended!!! Have spent about $150,000 there (2 Porsche 911 purchases, various upgrades, routine maintenance).
Old 08-29-2002, 01:38 AM
Poohbear
Track Day

They have a decent selection, and I called there a few times during my search for a 993. I didn't get quite the rudeness of Mike Cap, but generally got the same attitide. Sadly, not all that uncommon with dealers in this area. They might be Ok if you can get their attention. I bought mine from a place that acted like they wanted my business...

Quick Reply: PAR CARS out of New Rochelle...any good???