Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone interest in the Traffic Pro (Becker in dash Nav)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 10:06 PM
FELKER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anyone interest in the Traffic Pro (Becker in dash Nav)

I have been researching this unit, and if anyone is interested I have some information. It is now available in the USA from PCNA, a DIN sized indash Navigation unit.

I am NOT selling, just buying one and want willing to share the info I have on it with those interested.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:20 PM
dcpmark
Racer

Sure! I'd love any info.....especially if I can't find a wide center console to put in a Alpine Nav screen......
Old 02-04-2002, 01:06 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 561 Posts
I saw a demo of the Garmin Street Pilot III at CES. About $850 street price. Looked good, and you can switch it between cars. Yes, I would be interested in details of the Becker in dash you are considering.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:09 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 561 Posts
<a href="http://garmin.com/products/spIII/" target="_blank">Garmin Street Pilot III</a>
Old 02-04-2002, 10:32 AM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John, I'd like to see it, also. Blaupunkt makes a similar unit that I've been considering, too.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:52 PM
FELKER
Racer

I had a Blaupunkt unit, RNS 149, for a few days. The unit is deep and when I tried a "test fit" is seemed too deep to fit the tight 993 dash. Sent it back.

Also they are trimmed in silver, where the Becker is all black, very Euro

Also, Blaupunkt sells only their older units, the RNS's, in the USA, they do not import the "DX-R70" which is their current Nav unit in Europe and they do not sell the RNS anymore in Europe. I suspect they are just letting the USA supply dwindle.

NOTE: THE Dx-R70 has the "world" tuner thus the only thing needed to "sell one" in the USA is a owner's manual with USA specific info.

Oh and the Traffic Pro will say "Porsche" on the radio...

I am trying to set up a group purchase agreement, with Suncoast for the Traffic Pro... Email me for details. I will post more then things are finalized.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:04 PM
mags993tt
Instructor

I've been looking at getting a nav unit too - you guys may want to think about the 'Online traffic Pro' by Becker. Not sure about the full name but know it starts with the word 'Online'. Does everything the traffic pro does and looks identical but includes hands free phone, plays MP3's and sends/receives e-mail and SMS messages.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:00 PM
FELKER
Racer

OnLine Pro is a great unit, BUT it is European only. Becker USA says 2 years before it is here in the USA.

note: Phone is Euro GSM which is not functional in the USA, thus no E-mail web etc..

All it would add at this time in the USA is MP3, and at $700-$900 more.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:17 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

John, I was in Germany a few months back and riding in our hosts MB and his car had a din sized nav unit I think it was becker? It did not have the pretty pictures and arrows we are used to in the US, but rather a nice voiced woman barking out directions in German. Is this the type of system you are talking about? If so, does this work with dvd map discs or some other way? Also, how do you enter in the destination etc. I could not get a feeling for the functionality of the MB unit since all the controls and directions were in German.

Hell, now that I think about it it makes me kind of sick as the MB 7 passenger van we were taken to the airport (a regular van, nothing special) had the same system. Shame the delivery guy in Germany gets a nav system in his van and we have to pay a 3k premium on a few models for one??? MY wifes 99 MB C class doesn't even have a CD player. Go figure that one.

E. J.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:15 AM
mags993tt
Instructor

EJ, the unit works with a map disc but the nice thing about it is once it has downloaded your route to it's onboard 8MB ROM you can remove the map disc and play CD's without the need for a CD changer. I think it even downloads enough info to keep you on track if you take a detour. The other thing which attracted me to the unit was that it covers the whole of europe on one CD - irrelevant for you in the states but I was under the impression some other makes only covered certain regions in the states but if the same philosophy has been carried over then you should be able to navigate anywhere in the US with the one CD??

With regards entering destinations it has an 'intelligent' system whereby it will eliminate letters from the alphabet as you enter them (by twisting and pushing a **** to select) so that only letters that make sense in the current word you are typing are available which speeds things up somewhat. Guidance is via a user selectable selection of male/female voices in several different languages! and arrows etc but no map - makes sense in the space restricted 993 dash if you don't want to completely change the look of the interior to accomodate a screen/map based system.

M
Old 02-05-2002, 08:36 AM
FELKER
Racer

The USA is covered on two CD's with the central states covered on both, thus 300+ miles of over lap
Old 02-05-2002, 11:13 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Gents,

Thanx for the responses. Please let us know how this unit works once you have them installed.

E. J.

Quick Reply: Anyone interest in the Traffic Pro (Becker in dash Nav)