Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

uh oh -- is my car battery dead (?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 03:47 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default uh oh -- is my car battery dead (?)

just got back in town after 5 days....went to garage....car wont unlock with the remote key unlock function.... the little red light is lit on the key, so I know it is sending a signal...

cant believe that I never thought about this happening, but how do I even get to the battery??!!!! Unless I am just being really dumb (always possible) I do not see a way into my car without the remote unlock function....
Old 12-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Can't you unlock the doors with the key manually.....via doorlocks? I believe there is a manual hood release in the left wheel arch...Hood Release Thread

Good Luck........I use a Die Hard battery maintainer for extended parking.......AK
Old 12-19-2004, 04:03 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CayenneAK
Can't you unlock the doors with the key manually.....via doorlocks? I believe there is a manual hood release in the left wheel arch...Hood Release Thread

Good Luck........AK
i cant believe i am saying this, but no....i dont see a way to get inside the car without using the remote function on the key.... i just havent looked/really noticed before, but my 98 S doesnt appear to have a manual way to enter the car.... this cant be right, can it?
Old 12-19-2004, 04:05 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

never mind, just saw your link...will have open manually using the fender release loop method...

thx
Old 12-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some exterior locks are hidden by a "bumper plug" like piece of plastic.....take it out and there is a keyhole....worth a look.....AK
Old 12-19-2004, 04:12 PM
jla3317
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The owners manual explains how to get in the car without the remote. But, the 4-digit code number on the key card must be used in the ignition switch to deactivate the burglar alarm. You have 100 seconds to enter the code before the alarm goes off.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:16 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jla3317
The owners manual explains how to get in the car without the remote. But, the 4-digit code number on the key card must be used in the ignition switch to deactivate the burglar alarm. You have 100 seconds to enter the code before the alarm goes off.
like many, my owner's manual is in the car, guess it doesnt help me much right now... can you please explain further your comment (?)

i plan to get in the car manually (see if i can remove the bumper-plug type devices from the door handle, or use the manual trunk release)....

are you saying that i will need a special "key card" once i get in the car (?).... with no battery juice, i dont expect the alarm to go off at all...so are you talking about once i get it started again ?

what a mess...will definitely not make this mistake again, time to purchase the Optima battery and a trickle charger..
Old 12-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think jla3317 is refering to deactivating the immobilizer if you have a failed remote and use the key to unlock the door. But it sounds like your remote is fine...and your battery is dead...and you have no outer keyhole (?)....never the less....it is explained here I think....scroll down

Key Entry

AK
Old 12-19-2004, 04:38 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

thanks for all the help guys....

its a little ridiculous when 4 days away results in this.... but such is life i suppose....

would have hardly considered 4 days "extended non-use", but I guess so.... will definitely remedy this with a better battery and a trickle charger for when I will be away from the car for more than 36 hours... :-)

thanks again
Old 12-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Make sure you use a battery 'maintainer' (turns on/off depending on battery charged or not).....not a battery charger (continuous charging) for storage. If your battery died after 5 days....it likely needs to be replaced or you have an electrical drain somewhere....but I am sure you realized all this! Good luck....AK

Quick Reply: uh oh -- is my car battery dead (?)