Difficult choices: advice needed by newb

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 10:00 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Difficult choices: advice needed by newb

Hello everyone.
Congrats on the nice forum you guys have set up. I need some help in making some key decisions as I am really itching to get into your world... I have done my homework with the search function and have come to some conclusions, but some specific opinions is what I am looking for.
As I am located in Europe, prices are of no specific value, and on top of this truckload of euros I need to pay some nasty customs to get one into Greece! In a nutshell though here are the options:
7/'97 C4S silver with blue leather 19k kms (12k miles)
6/'95 TT silver with red leather (7.5k miles)

OK now if you are like me, your jaw just dropped to the floor by reading that. So it has to be one of the two, as the miles are so ridiculous. Both cars are weekend drivers, both cars had at least annual services. I think the 4S owner was more ****, he was going in bi-annually for service.
I have not seen them, they are located in Germany! And I am in Greece. Quit a distance but I will go eventually.... So lets assume they are both pristine. I also have a bit of a soft spot for the RED interior on a silver car. When I came across it, I felt light headed for like an hour after... Little voice telling me (YELLING at me) THIS IS THE ONE.

To complicate things even more, prices are almost similar... diff is 3k euros. so lets say $4k. Now that IS tough...

The terms: it will be a weekend driver with me too, so few miles per year. I want something that will last forever, so I don't plan on selling it intentionally at some point, but I do want it to maintain value, as an asset. After all we are only human. And if at some point I need to let it go, I want it to have strong value. I lust after the hp of the TT, but will never really explore its limits. But having spoken to a few people, I think the consensus leans towards the 4S as an "easier" choice for people to buy, and a car that adequately fits my needs. BUT I CAN GET +130hp for 4 grand!!! (yells the little voice) AND RED LEATHER!!!

So, I ask for your help. Your insight. And I expect answers not driven by logic, but by emotion! After all I read somewhere in the archives that 993 owners are enthusiasts, while half the 996 owners are probably not! I also need to ask the mechanically inclined of you what problems I may encounter with older cars that have so few miles. Seals? Gaskets? Pipes cracking? Shot suspension?
I will not mention the third choice as a contender because I think I have ruled it out by myself, but just for you to ponder, it was a '02 996 C4S, silver on red as well, for the TT money! Higher customs possibly... but still, another option!

Thank you all for your kind input. It is greatly appreciated.
Take care!!

Last edited by dianic; 12-17-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:06 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to the little voice! Oh, and you are very welcome.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:56 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Trouble is, I dont know which little voice to listen to, since I have one located on each shoulder. One is dressed in white, the other red with a pointy tail

Nick, all in all, the 993 is a pretty bulletproof car. After you get the car, you may have to spend some money fixing small things like hood and decklid shocks, belts, wipers etc. Once your car is settled in, so to speak, its the mods that will empty your wallet!

Hard to do, but keep emotion as far away as possible when looking for your 993. Since this is IMPOSSIBLE to do, at least hide it inside the best you can. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know they made TTs in 95. Maybe they did in Europe? If the price delta is small, I would definitely step up to the TT. If you go NA and want more power later, you will need to spend much more than the delta that exists for you now as an option. How many of us really get to utilize the full power of our cars (though many of the track bretheren on this board prolly come pretty close)? Is the red chestnut red or bright red? I really like the chestnut red, so so on the bright red. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

TURBO, TURBO, TURBO

Silver with red is a fantastic combination, too!
Old 12-17-2004, 11:35 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Life is short ... buy the Turbo.

Vic
95 C4 cab
87 930 (fondly remembered)
Old 12-17-2004, 12:38 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Turbo 100% assuming that everything checks out--GET A PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTION!!! As for the 996, I'll pretend that you didn't ask Either 993 sounds good, but if I could have had the a Turbo in my price range I would have jumped on it.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TT<TT<<TT<TT<TT<TT<TT<TT. Need we say more?
Old 12-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, since you live in EU, I would consider a RS.

OK, granted I am like a priest preaching in his parish, but the RS is the lowest production number, the most sought after and is hard as nails.

The TT is very much of a wuss in comparison. No insults for the TT guys.. this is just a fact.

About the same price as a TT. Judging about the price increases since I bought mine, it may be a better financial proposition.

Here is a link.. beware, some are not real RS's. (RS's are not Targas) I'll help if you want.

http://www.mobile.de/SIDDpFcwzaCZEB4...2&doSearch.y=9
Old 12-17-2004, 01:16 PM
nman413
Drifting

My TT was built in 95, just 30 VIN numbers from Jim Morton's! It's marked as a 96 though.

Problem with a TT is that there are so many mods that you can make

Jean-Pierre, I think I like them both.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icerbofh
My TT was built in 95, just 30 VIN numbers from Jim Morton's! It's marked as a 96 though.

Problem with a TT is that there are so many mods that you can make

Jean-Pierre, I think I like them both.
Totally agree with you: I like both as well but Nick is going to keep it forever. So why not get a 993 RS or a '73 911 RS. Something real rare and sought after. The car will be a garage queen and a collector if I get his drift
Old 12-17-2004, 01:30 PM
mborkow
Drifting

if you are looking to buy something as an investment buy something else. if you are looking to have a lot of fun by a 993. i think that the silver/red 993tt sounds too good to pass up.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

6/'95 TT silver with red leather (7.5k miles)

I also have a bit of a soft spot for the RED interior on a silver car. When I came across it, I felt light headed for like an hour after... Little voice telling me (YELLING at me) THIS IS THE ONE.

BUT I CAN GET +130hp for 4 grand!!! (yells the little voice) AND RED LEATHER!!!

Sure sounds like the turbo is the one for you ! Go for it. If you get the C4S and then ever feel the power of the turbo, you will never forgive yourself for not going with the car you really want..... TT Silver/Red...You already love it !!
Old 12-17-2004, 02:06 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TT without question!
Old 12-17-2004, 04:49 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've come to a surprizing conclusion!

All those who want you to buy a TT don't have RS's available.

In the words of a Porker sales rep: "TT's are boys toys, an RS, this is a Man's toy" !! Exact words from a German sales rep at Porsche Hamburg!!

Quick Reply: Difficult choices: advice needed by newb