993 Forum 1995-1998

Irresponsible PPI????

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Irresponsible PPI????

I had a buyer for my 98 Cab who was scared out of even having it inspected by a local Porsche shop today. And the shop never even saw the car!
The buyer called to set up the appointment and the owner of the shop asked HIM multiple questions about the car that the buyer would have no knowledge of. When he told the shop owner the car had 39k miles, the shop said well these are the problem areas associated with 993's as they age. He asked the buyer these questions:
has the CE light ever come on
how much oil is it using
is there oil under the car
does it smoke upon start up or under acceleration
does the clutch engage freely
does the transmission feel sticky

In asking the buyer these questions, he effectively scared him into thinking that the 993 model had numerous expensive problems, and that maybe it wasn't his best choice. He called and told me he didn't know there were so many problems with the 993 model, and that he wanted to look at some 996's as an alternative. After all, they aren't that much more expensive!!

Was this shop irresponsible in setting that tone and effectively creating an atmosphere of doubt, or was the buyer simply too thin skinned and perhaps uneducated with regards to Porsches? Your thoughts/comments are appreciated.
JRG
Old 12-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you need to find a new "buyer"....It does not sound like he/she was a "buyer"

"has the CE light ever come on"....yes, everytime I start the car....
"how much oil is it using"....all 11 quarts or so....
"is there oil under the car"...depends where I park
"does it smoke upon start up or under acceleration"...sure...don't most cars/trucks?
"does the clutch engage freely"...no, I have to push the pedal in with my foot
"does the transmission feel sticky"....Not sure, I've never touched it....
Old 12-16-2004, 11:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Phil I needed the laugh (and a stiff drink). The guy is a buyer, perhaps just not a 993 now which is too bad. He may or may not get stuck with a bad 996, but he'll never know the joys of a 993 and all that it's about. He loved my car(who wouldn't?), and after driving it for 20 minutes or so wanted to finalize the sale. But being the responsible type, I told him he had to have a PPI done and suggested several shops in the area including the one I use. He chose another based on his friend's recommendation and the rest, as they say, is history. Think I'll go the bar and see if MY clutch is engaging freely....
JRG

Originally Posted by Phil McGrath
sounds like you need to find a new "buyer"....It does not sound like he/she was a "buyer"

"has the CE light ever come on"....yes, everytime I start the car....
"how much oil is it using"....all 11 quarts or so....
"is there oil under the car"...depends where I park
"does it smoke upon start up or under acceleration"...sure...don't most cars/trucks?
"does the clutch engage freely"...no, I have to push the pedal in with my foot
"does the transmission feel sticky"....Not sure, I've never touched it....
Old 12-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

Hang in there you'll find the right buyer who will appreciate your car. I think your car is one of the nicest cab I've seen. I really think that buyers today are conscious of the $$ between 996 & 993 and they are thinking that for the same money or less they can get into a 996. But as Phil mentioned above that they will never have the joy of a 993.

BTW, didn't you just purchased a PSS9 for your cab?

Happy Holidays
Old 12-16-2004, 11:34 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

LOL, thanks for the laugh Phil.

I think that yes, the shop set the wrong tone, and yes, this was not an educated buyer. If he calls that same shop next week for a PPI on a 996 they'll start asking him about rear main seal leakage and needing new engines, and this bozo will go running for the hills (or for a Toyota dealer).

I think I'd be reluctant to use that shop for a PPI and AS A MINIMUM forewarn anybody about their attitude.

p.s. does the tranny feel sticky? WTH kind of question is that??
Old 12-16-2004, 11:34 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds as though the shop was uneducated about the 993's. I hope it wasnt the shop who suggested a 996...

The prospective buyer 1) obviously doesnt hang out here on Rennlist, 2) needs to educate himself/herself in talking to a few other shops, then average the info received.

Just find another buyer..
Old 12-16-2004, 11:43 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

John,

You are selling your 993? Are you getting another one? I hope so since I was looking forward seeing you in LP next year..
Old 12-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by 911
John,

You are selling your 993? Are you getting another one? I hope so since I was looking forward seeing you in LP next year..
wow!!....LP is gonna be a full class in 2005
Old 12-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Phil,

I'm not sure how many events I can make (work permitting), but for sure I'll be there on Jan 30th. I have to spend 6 weeks in Indiana sometime next year, so hopefully it will be between the first & second event!
Old 12-17-2004, 12:56 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Was this shop irresponsible in setting that tone and effectively creating an atmosphere of doubt, or was the buyer simply too thin skinned and perhaps uneducated with regards to Porsches?"

And what would you expect, as a buyer, from a good shop when setting up a PPI?
The questions asked by the shop were very appropriate for 993s, as many of
the problematic 993 repairs can be very costly. If you're concerned about PPI
challenges from good Porsche shops, advertise on eBay.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:12 AM
JohnJL
Pro

Tone is a tough thing to judge third-hand. Those are all valid and appropriate questions, and we don't know how they were asked (the first words out of their mouths, or interspersed in 20 minutes of q&a...)

If you have good answers to those questions, or the buyer is willing to accept or you can negotiate a deal, then OK. Otherwise, either you are holding out for too much (sorry, I have no details here) or they don't deserve the car!

Chris, it sounds like they are educated about 993's....if they weren't they wouldn't be asking such relevant questions...they'd be asking about RMS and stud bolts, etc.

I might get flamed here, but doesn't it sound like the shop was actually doing a good thing for the buyer (their potential client) ? Stay with me here...they could just tell the buyer to bring the car in and count on charging him $200 for the PPI. Instead, they armed him with valid questions. If he's so much of a sissy that he can't face the reality that every decision in life has complexities (and Porsche's arent for the faint of heart and I'm damn glad of it) then the loss is his.

You'll find another, more serious and appreciative buyer!
Old 12-17-2004, 01:13 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
If you're concerned about PPI
challenges from good Porsche shops, advertise on eBay.
WTF....
Old 12-17-2004, 01:16 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Give me a break Loren. First of all, what makes you think it was a good shop ? Seems to me, the buyer should be asking the questions and the PPI shop should be giving the answers. Not the other way around. Especially considering the shop hadn't put their hands on the car yet.

Shoot from the hip questions such as these, to an ignorant buyer who hasn't done diligence, clearly sets a negative connotation for John's car.

Move on to the next buyer John. Your car will sell. BTW, that light root wood shift **** fit ok ?
Old 12-17-2004, 02:05 AM
traveller09
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the shop was asking the right questions, I just think your buyer was too skittish to hear them. As a recent buyer, I want the shop that I am paying to look out for my best interest, to do just that. I want a shop to ask the questions, then do a PPI, give me the facts and if I ask…then his opinion. You sound like you have a great car; hang in there a better buyer will be there soon enough.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:09 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep....cold feet and thus easily scared off. wait till they ask about rms issues on the 996.....he is going to end up with a bicycle. As they say in the car biz....."Buyers are liers"....AK

Quick Reply: Irresponsible PPI????