Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

HID DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 07:55 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am DIY retarded. Ordering the correct parts was diificult enough.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:19 AM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Default Xenon Install Coverage- Beware of First-Timer

I am a happy first-time DIY'er. I just went on the most pleasant night-drive ever. I love my car even more now!!! Bright is an understatement, and thank you RL for saving me hundreds of dollars off of a factory kit. In fact, these lights "feel" better and brighter than the Litronics that I had on my 996 C4 Cab.
A few notes and comments:

I installed the xenons as my high-beams for a few reasons, the most important being that they fit into the mount in the factort light housing without any modification. When trying to install them into the low-beam position, I found that I would have had to ream out the hole a bit to fit the slightly larger bulb through. I think that this would have been messy and so lost interest fast.

Now that it is how it is, I am very happy. These things are so bright that it would be annoying for a guy like jrgordon or MNM to have me following at night with these as my only lights. Also, no need to draw attention from the authorities as I have no trouble getting in trouble without special lights.

The install is completely reversable and I did not drill a single hole through the car except for the rear cover of the light housing. This made me even happier.

If anyone is interested I posted pictures and a very brief step-by-step on my .mac homepage. The .mac cookie-cutter web page publisher doesn't allow for that much text, so I did not get into much detail. Its also late and I am bushed. I can provide more detail and info for those people that would like it.

http://homepage.mac.com/mleds/PhotoAlbum51.html
http://homepage.mac.com/mleds/PhotoAlbum52.html

Enjoy and thanks,
Michael
Old 01-20-2005, 09:03 AM
deleonl1
Racer

Michael,

Great coverage of your install! Where did you get your HID kit

-Larry
Old 01-20-2005, 03:40 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mleds
I am a happy first-time DIY'er.
Michael,

Good job! Watch out, though... this DIY stuff is like a virus that spreads rapidly. You'll be justifying buying other parts cause of all the money you save in labor by doing it yourself. Ask me how I know...

As to the HIDs, I have mine in the high light position, too and am very happy with them. To be honest, though, I have been toying with the idea of getting a second set and doing the low lights. At $500 for a complete HID system, I'm trying to look for the downside of the idea. Lord help me...

Larry,

Read this thread. The kit he installed was purchased off Ebay.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:23 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kelly,
Larry, I bought the same set from the same guy on Ebay that Kelly has, thanks to this thread. I am so happy with the end result that I want it to be dark again soon. If any local guys want to come over to the house I am more than happy to do their install for/with them. It is not like I have a real job anymore (yes, laid off from work).
Old 01-21-2005, 10:27 PM
solsrch
Pro

For those that have them installed in the high beam position, how well does that work? I thought there was a significant delay between turning them on and actually getting light. I don't use my high beams a lot but when I do, I'm used to getting pretty fast response.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:31 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

So you guys use the kit as a replacement for your high beams? Or are you just puting them in that slot but they're one when you turn on your lights?
Old 01-21-2005, 10:54 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it in my hi beams. When you first turn on your hi beams, it's like when you turn on a compact florescent light. It comes on immediately, albeit with a very blue tint, and gradually gets brighter (10-20 seconds to come to full brightness). As it comes to full brightness, the color of the light changes from the bluish tint to the pure white of the 4300k. I've noticed when switching the hi lights off and on, the less time between switches, the faster the hi light comes up to temp.

I use it in the hi position cause I wanted to light up a dark mountain road at night and boy does it!!
Old 01-22-2005, 02:51 AM
mleds
Rennlist Member

I found that the "cold start" of the high beams is still brighter than what came with the car. I use mine for driving around at night on dark roads where there aren't that many other people. I really put mine on the high beams because there was no modification necessary, but now am happier because on dark roads I can see much further ahead.

Quick Reply: HID DIY