993 Forum 1995-1998

OBD California Smog Fail

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 04:44 PM
artasst
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD California Smog Fail

My '96 993 Cab. manual trans. failed a California smog inspection yesterday because of a "failure to successfully complete all OBD self tests". The kid "technician" asked if the battery had been disconnected recently and whether the car had been driven much since? I have had the battery disconnected while storing the car this past year and have since only put on a couple of thousand miles. (50K on the car) He suggested taking the car out for one hour at 70 mph to wake-up the OBD. The check engine light is not on...like it was two years ago for the last inspection when Porsche replaced their faulty valve guides...for the second time. Is there any way for me to reset/turn-on the OBD?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

if you search on this topic there is a procedure to get the OBD sytem to the ready state.

Try this one
Old 12-10-2004, 05:24 PM
artasst
6th Gear

Doh! Thanks Randy M. Found the thread. I should of searched before posting after registration. I'm sure I'll be hanging out here alot. Thanks.

Richard S.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:51 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't bother screwing around trying to get those rediness codes to reset... take your car directly to a California smog REFEREE station, and they will pass your car (assuming nothing else is wrong).
Old 12-10-2004, 06:01 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by artasst
I should of searched before posting after registration. I'm sure I'll be hanging out here alot. Thanks.

Richard S.
That's the spirit, Richard. Seeing as you are new to Rennlist, let me be the first to welcome you!! Hope you spend a lot more time with us here and as with any new member, pictures of your car is required.

Enjoy your stay!
Old 12-10-2004, 06:23 PM
artasst
6th Gear

Hey Steve, just booked the appointment. I like da EZ way. "You have an OMD2? Bring it in on Tuesday."

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov./StdPage...ee_centers.htm

Thanks guyz. Maybe I won't sell it? (I do love that car). Suspension is next...I'll search "wheel hop".
Old 12-10-2004, 07:50 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had to get my cab smogged today... tags exp. this mo. & i friggin' passed. wooohooo! (btw:not tryin' to rub it in @ all).
artasst have you tweaked anything on your car? mine is stock aside from an open-side airbox & k&n. @ 1st i was nervous as i need to service (was afraid it might be runnin' a little dirty). but no probs.... weird how some of our cars pass easily & others do not. bet it has more to do w/ the tech than anything... my guy was very professional & best of all... loved p-cars.

cheers & bol on passin'.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:01 PM
mborkow
Drifting

nothing weird or esoteric about it; if the battery was diconnected the ready tests all need to be reset. this would take me years in the natural course of driving
Old 12-10-2004, 09:10 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The "procedure" I used when disconnected battery for one month was to start car let car idle for 20-30 minutes. It seems to set the codes during idling. Once that occurs the computers seemed to be reprogrammed and the car runs fine with no check engine light codes.

However I have no experience with CA emissions.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:11 PM
mborkow
Drifting

mo, how did you verify that your readyness tests had been completed? i do not think that idling the car 20-30 minutes will do it, though i could be wrong.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:06 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just an FYI. I had to take mine to the Referee 2 months ago and it went smooth as silk. My rediness codes wouldn't reset either (after trying the proceedure above 3 times with no success). The ref was very cool and happy to see a porsche. I guess they usually get pretty crappy cars through there. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mac993
Just an FYI. I had to take mine to the Referee 2 months ago and it went smooth as silk. My rediness codes wouldn't reset either (after trying the proceedure above 3 times with no success). The ref was very cool and happy to see a porsche. I guess they usually get pretty crappy cars through there. Good luck.
So when you ended up at the referee and he could not get the codes, did he over-ride and pass you based on the tail pipe emissions?
Old 12-11-2004, 06:11 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
mo, how did you verify that your readyness tests had been completed? i do not think that idling the car 20-30 minutes will do it, though i could be wrong.
The only personal experience is when I had the 993 battery disconnected for one month (no power in garage for trickle charger) and than reconnected the battery, started the car, it ran rough. I just let it idle (no driving) for 20-30 minutes and was fine when drove away.

So my thought is letting it idle after battery is disconnected allow the computer(s) to reset.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:11 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for a little fun way to turn off most of those readiness codes, use this BMW routine; it's done the job on a number of 993s:

http://srlx.com/p-car/obdii_readiness.pdf
Old 12-11-2004, 10:40 AM
mborkow
Drifting

"So my thought is letting it idle after battery is disconnected allow the computer(s) to reset."

the car will run fine without the ready codes (trips) having been reset on the computer (and the CEL will remain off, unless a problem is detected). the only thing is that when the smog station hooks up the computer to the car they can see that the codes are not set and therefore the car is not "ready" to be tested; the car needs to cycle through 2 trips in order for it to be ready. the 2 trips indicate that the computer has been able to perform all of its diagnostic tests and if the CEL is off after that it means that all the tests have passed. even when the tests have not been completed it doesn't mean the car isn't running 100% fine, but it will prevent you from passing smog (unless you go to a ref. station). the whole thing is pretty silly, but them's the rules here in CA.

Quick Reply: OBD California Smog Fail