Survey: Door Check Strap "Good will" fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 01:07 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Survey: Door Check Strap "Good will" fix

I have the check strap problem and have been trying to get the local dealer here in Los Angeles to cover it under good will. So far the regional Porsche rep says "no".

I have searched the archives and found 8 posts suggesting that the dealer did the fix under "good will". I have e-mailed those Rennlisters for details about the circumstances and the specific dealer/city that have offered this.

I would appreciate anyone else who has had this problem fixed by the dealer under "good will" to e-mail me or post the details.

Given the success of the effort related to the wiring harness perhaps we can make similar progress on this issue - a clear design flaw.

As always, your help and suggestions are very much appreciated.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:17 AM
Blizzard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having the same problem with my '97. I would be interested in hearing what experience other have had with this problem.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:44 AM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Please keep in mind that dealers will goodwill something as a way to keep you as a client. If you build a relationship with your mech/dealer, odds are, you are more likely to have something goodwilled.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:48 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
The PO had the drivers side fixed under Porsche warranty. When the right hand side went (actually, it was already gone when I bought the car..it had slightly bent the lower corner of the door) my bodyguy fixed all the paint chips on the nose, fixed the door and welded the check-strap. Did not bother chasing Porsche, maybe I should have.

I am also getting annoying clicking noises from both doors but I do not agree that its the check mount on the body...its caused by excessive play in the pin that holds the check strap arm to the body. That pin works its mounting hole a little larger than a snug fit, and each time the check strap hits one of its indents the pin wiggles, hence the "click" noise. I had this on my 83SC and fixed it using a bushing assembly machined into the end of the check strap. I am going to try it on my 993 this winter...if it works (which it should) I will post the results, maybe some pictures.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-09-2002, 01:41 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts
I approached my local (Salt Lake City) dealer about this just yesterday for my 98. He had no interest whatsoever in pursuing this with the regional Porsche rep, although he said he would "ask" if I called him back in 3 weeks to see when the rep would next visit. He further told me this happens because "the door at some point gets caught in the wind and yanked open." He just referred me to a local body shop. While I am new to this area and have only patronized this dealer a few times, I'd hoped that they would at least consider me for some "good will," as this is the same dealer that carelessly ripped my rear bumper cover during my $1000 30K service 4 months ago. (The same service where they only changed one oil filter and I suspect they didn't bother change the "hard to reach" plugs.) Unfortunately, I feel a letter to PCNA coming on.

Good luck to others in resolving this door strap issue, and if anyone hits upon a successful strategy to get this obvious design flaw covered under warranty, please post.

Jason
Old 11-10-2002, 07:12 AM
Blizzard
Instructor

My symptom is a loud clicking (more liking a "clunking" noise) when I close the driver's side door. Is this the beginning of the door strap problem?
Old 11-10-2002, 12:21 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Could be. Take a close look at the mount on the body where the strap is connected using a pivot pin. In my case the body mount is welded and is not moving, but I get a "click" from the pin itself. Is it the pin or the mount moving? There is a little slop (most likely from being removed to weld up the mounting point) and it clicks. I have a solution in mind that I used on my 83SC a ways back but I need to try it out first before posting.

If the door strap mount get "pulled" along its slot in the body too far outward, it will allow the door to swing open too far and its posssible the door lower front corner of the door will be pushed out because it hits the inner door mounting rail...then body work is called for!

Its unfortunate that on a car that costs this much I get mini heart attacks when I carry people who just wildely open the door. Why does my Chev Pickup have a better designed door strap than my Porsche????
Old 11-10-2002, 02:00 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I just tok my car to the dealer for this uder good will and they said no way on the check strap. Mine is really bad too. Going to the body shop next week for an estimate.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
You guys might want to look at my older post of "dread door strap" If you look at the first picture, it just takes the spot weld to crack the metal to produce the noise. The metal was not torn away just a crack, very small, but a noisy result.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:53 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In my case both straps have been welded. I do have a "clicking" noise while the door is opened, and the clicking is when the indents in the door strap are passed. However, if I look very closely at the pin that holds the strap to the body, you can see the pin move on each click.

I think there are at least two ways that a strap can make noises. I have no doubt that the loose check strap mount on the body is one source.

However, I think there is a second one. The noise that I have is exactly the same one I had on my 83SC. That was caused by the pin which is pressure fit on the older cars being worn because they were removed from the car a few times. I fixed it by machining a bushing that took up the slack. The pin on my 993 is not pressure fit but I can visually see it move...and the movement corresponds exactly to the click.

Will have it apart this winter, do some machining, and see if I can make it nice and "quiet". This is a pain for a car that costs this much!

Old 11-11-2002, 09:53 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks to all who emailed me privately. I am gathering the data to bring to my dealer. They seem unmotivated but will present my case to the regional rep. I will post the results.

There are some great pictures in the archives and others that I have been unable to open. Unfortunately, the pictures are taken from so close up that getting a perspective on what I am looking at has been a problem. Any help with this would also be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:01 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts
I must thankfully retract (or at least update) my earlier comments about my Salt Lake City dealer. The Service Advisor called me today to ask the mileage on my car. Upon my answer of "35,700," he informed me that Porsche would in fact cover my repair. My car is scheduled for the body shop on Friday.

I'm not sure about the change of heart, but I appreciate it. After the repair is done, I will try and ascertain the criteria they used to decide to fix my door strap problem.

Jason

Quick Reply: Survey: Door Check Strap "Good will" fix