Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short shift question. anyone that has one please i want to hear your opinion Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 04:42 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post short shift question. anyone that has one please i want to hear your opinion Thanks

I called Schatz Motorsports and they had 2 versions for the 96 C2. One is 359$ and the other 120$. The 359$ one changes a rod which allows it to shift into gear alot smoother. They both make it short the same height.
Has anyone tried any of these? Which one would be worth it? Right now im leaning more on the 120$ one because it lowers it the same height as the 359$ one and if i can keep the same smoothness as i have right now when i shift, then it would be perfect. Does the 120$ one make it rough when you shift it or something?
Old 04-20-2003, 04:56 PM
dcpmark
Racer

I got the more expensive factory RS shifter from Schatz, and while I do like it, it is one mod that I probably wouldn't do again. It's a shorter, notchier throw, but it only shortens the throw by about 25% (my estimation). Further, unless you get a new shift **** that allows for greater adjustment, the OEM **** sits VERY high up. I got Gert's MY'02 aluminum ****, and it can be adjusted lower than the OEM ****. I REALLY liked the MY '02 **** BEFORE I put in the short shifter because it sits farther down, thereby shortening the throw by about 10%.

Just one guy's opinion.......
Old 04-20-2003, 05:02 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by dcpmark:
<strong>I got the more expensive factory RS shifter from Schatz, and while I do like it, it is one mod that I probably wouldn't do again. It's a shorter, notchier throw, but it only shortens the throw by about 25% (my estimation). Further, unless you get a new shift **** that allows for greater adjustment, the OEM **** sits VERY high up. I got Gert's MY'02 aluminum ****, and it can be adjusted lower than the OEM ****. I REALLY liked the MY '02 **** BEFORE I put in the short shifter because it sits farther down, thereby shortening the throw by about 10%.

Just one guy's opinion.......</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">What is Gert's website address? Does he have pictures of the MY'02 ****? Thanks
Old 04-20-2003, 05:15 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone tried the "RUF" version ? Isn't it supposably adjustable (20/30/50%)?
Old 04-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Shant Ohannessian:
<strong>What is Gert's website address? Does he have pictures of the MY'02 ****? Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"><a href="http://www.carnewal-europe.com/" target="_blank">http://www.carnewal-europe.com/</a>
Old 04-20-2003, 08:14 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
I have the TechArt version from Gert on my coupe, really like the upgrade, nice short, positive action. I had absolutely no issues with installing the factory alu/carbon shifter on it. It sits nice and low and to be honest I kind of like it better than the MY 02 carbon/alu shifter I have installed on my cabrio...
Old 04-20-2003, 11:30 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I just had Mike Schatz install the RS short shifter on my TT. I really like the feel of the shifter, except that reverse feels a little odd... like you're not really sure you've got it fully engaged. Just a getting-used-to-it thing, I think. I hated the stock shifter... reminded me of my old VW bus. Trust Mike to steer you straight.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:12 AM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ca993twin:
<strong>I just had Mike Schatz install the RS short shifter on my TT. I really like the feel of the shifter, except that reverse feels a little odd... like you're not really sure you've got it fully engaged. Just a getting-used-to-it thing, I think. I hated the stock shifter... reminded me of my old VW bus. Trust Mike to steer you straight.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Did you install the 359$ one or the 120$??

I did my research and found 3 different companies that make short shifters. RUF, Gert, and Schatz. Im not sure which is better or if there is any difference between the 3. I just want the shortest one. Anyone know the difference between the 3?
Old 04-21-2003, 01:41 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Shant Ohannessian:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ca993twin:
<strong>I just had Mike Schatz install the RS short shifter on my TT. I really like the feel of the shifter, except that reverse feels a little odd... like you're not really sure you've got it fully engaged. Just a getting-used-to-it thing, I think. I hated the stock shifter... reminded me of my old VW bus. Trust Mike to steer you straight.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Did you install the 359$ one or the 120$??

I did my research and found 3 different companies that make short shifters. RUF, Gert, and Schatz. Im not sure which is better or if there is any difference between the 3. I just want the shortest one. Anyone know the difference between the 3?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Shant, the short shifter for the C4S and TT are different from the C2S. So ca993twin's assesment may or may not apply to the C2S short shifter.

ca993twin, I have the short shifter from Mike and am awaiting a tunnel cover from him. Any thoughts/changes to the shift **** height? Do you have the original shift ****?
Old 04-21-2003, 01:55 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Jeff,

Mike reused the old shift ****, and the height of the shifter seems to be substantially the same. Just a guess... the throws are about 30% shorter than before, and gives a more positive, connected feel to the shifts.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

I did my research and found 3 different companies that make short shifters. RUF, Gert, and Schatz. Im not sure which is better or if there is any difference between the 3. I just want the shortest one. Anyone know the difference between the 3?
Old 04-21-2003, 02:52 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the one sold through performance products catalog. No problems with it. They are all copies of the factory part.

Tom
'95 993

Quick Reply: short shift question. anyone that has one please i want to hear your opinion Thanks