Sponsored by:

Engine/Transmission Jack Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004 | 05:46 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Engine/Transmission Jack Adapter

Has anyone use the engine/transmission jack adapter pictured below? It's sold by Pelican Parts. Even if you've not used it for those of you have have removed your engine at home without benefit of a lift do you think it would be quite helpful to use?

Last edited by Ron; 02-03-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2004 | 05:55 PM
Terrance Seto
Instructor

That looks nice. Never used it before. But my question is when jacking the rear of the car with the jack on the engine, will it damage the case at all, (not using the adapter)?

I usually take my floor jack and put a folded towel on it when jacking.
Old 12-08-2004 | 06:05 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

will it damage the case at all, (not using the adapter)?
I hear it will cause no damage, though I think most people use a piece of wood, the rubber flat top on the AC jack, a hockey puck or something else. I have on of those Autometric jackpoints so I don't have that issue, and the make it so you don't have to get the jack as far in under the car.

Just in case it's not clear the adapter pictured is not for jacking up the car it's for lowering the engine.
Old 12-08-2004 | 06:37 PM
Racer944
Racer

Ron;

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you like the Autometrics jackpoint? Does it fit ok with the stock exhaust? The Autometrics web site says no, but Robin's site seems to say yes... (maybe its the hook that doesn't work with stock exhaust?)

As for the adapter from Pelican... no experience with it, but it seems like it would help stabilize the load when lowering the engine/tranny from the car when working on jackstands/low to the ground. I have seen the one a local shop uses that works well, and its very similar looking to this one except theirs is mounted on a tranny jack instead of a standard floor jack.

Cheers;
Eric
Old 12-08-2004 | 07:04 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric,
I've had not problem with the jackpoint. I like the fact that I don't have to push the jack as far under the car. My car is lowered and even with my AC jack I'd have to drive on ramps to get the car high enough to get the jack under.

One Caveat, I'm pretty sure that on some of the earlier 993's the jackpoint will not work because they have an O2 sensor in the place where the jackpoint attaches. Check Autometrics website they may have something about that issue.
Old 12-09-2004 | 08:06 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Hi Ron,

that adaptor seems very similar to the special tools shown in the Workshop manual on page 10-7. But they lift the car horizontally to remove the engine. Our method gives a "certain" nose down attitude. And you have to be sure that the tool is able to follow that pitch down attitude.
Old 12-09-2004 | 08:11 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toga
Hi Ron,

that adaptor seems very similar to the special tools shown in the Workshop manual on page 10-7. But they lift the car horizontally to remove the engine. Our method gives a "certain" nose down attitude. And you have to be sure that the tool is able to follow that pitch down attitude.
It looks like the tool has an adjustment bolt to set the angle you want... you can see the bolt in the second pic.

It's a neat looking tool... I think I'd rather buy than make something. When I get closer to replacing my clutch I'm sure I'll be thinking about it.

If anyone has this tool please post how it worked out. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2004 | 11:03 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Yep, you right Jeff!

I was facing the same dilemma a few days ago: buy such a tool, an ATV lift, or a few timber.
I finally decided to ordered the ATV lift because I think the lift will be useful to remove the engine but also as a stable engine stand for the maintenance work to be done.
I'll take delivery of the ATV lift tomorrow, and expect to start my projet (LWF) from tuesday. I'll let you know if I'm happy with my decision.
Old 12-09-2004 | 12:49 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That is a nice unit. Do you have a link for it in for the Pelican website? I couldn't find it with a cursory look... Thanks!
Old 12-09-2004 | 01:15 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Link to page with jack.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...PTOOLS_pg1.htm

Quick Reply: Engine/Transmission Jack Adapter