Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Suspect your Varioram not working? It could be ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I would think this would be negative pressure and tend to pull the tubing flat.
Seems like the part should have been constructed of hard plastic or metal to withstand the vacuum pressure in the first place. Replacing with the original soft rubber part would appear to invite the same failure. I like the idea of inserting some type of plastic sleeve/ring to prevent collapsing, as Toga and ppressle suggested.

I'd probably try that before bothering to order a new part...
Old 12-07-2004, 03:40 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't the insertion of anything into the tube restrict airflow ? As this tube contracts and releases, the natural tendency of the rubber would be to collapse over time. Especially with as many times we take these babies into Varioram Territory

Putting anything in the tube would have the same effect as plugging a straw with a spit ball.......basically causing the same pressure problem as a restricted or collapsed tube......no ?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't think there is any airflow through the tube...just negative pressure from ambiant. Once the engine pulls the vaccuum, the flow stops. I would think a coil spring of the appropriate size would hold the rubber in the right shape and stay in place.

I will have to check mine out but I think it is working OK. I test the varioram every time I drive the car as I love the sound!

Wonder what my wife will say when I tell her that I have to check the thingy to see if it has collapsed!!!! ARR, ARR
Old 12-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Talking a very fine shunt material would provide little restriction...

IMHO, or, some clever chap willl make up a part out of stainless, or, if there is any market for this. I have to go into Newport Auto Center, Newport Beach, CA later this week. There resides a Master Wrench, Kevin Kelly, formerly a lead mechanic at ANDIAL. I will show him the part and solicit his opinion...and post accordingly. Until then.......................... I'll be laying low!
Old 12-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
IMHO, or, some clever chap willl make up a part out of stainless, or, if there is any market for this. I have to go into Newport Auto Center, Newport Beach, CA later this week. There resides a Master Wrench, Kevin Kelly, formerly a lead mechanic at ANDIAL. I will show him the part and solicit his opinion...and post accordingly. Until then.......................... I'll be laying low!
Thanks! Please keep us posted!
Old 12-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Today's fix...

I had an opportunity to fix this today. My solution... a section of 13/32" hard brass tube cut to length to fit on the inside of the tube between the two nipples.

Sorry for the bad pics, but in the foreground you can see the small section of the cut tube.

Then carefully install the brass section into the inside of the tube. Make sure to not cover over the holes leading to the attaching tubes. The brass part is the shiny thing inside the tube... again, sorry about the focus thing.

Once installed, the tube has a very slight pregnant look. It's actually held in place reasonably well, so I don't think it's going to move. If it did move the worst that happens is that a hole is covered up... the brass section can't leave the tube as it's larger than the attaching tubes in all directions.

It's raining here, so I don't have any way to test it. I'll post again when I get a chance to test it.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:25 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff-

Cut a bunch. I'll take one. Let me know how much. Looks like a good long term fix.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kelly,

I'd be more than happy to cut a bunch, but it may be just as easy to go to any hobby shop to purchase the hard brass tubing. Once you cut off the small section you can use the rest of the tube to push the short section in to the right depth.

I can cut off a short section for as many that want them (send me a PM with address), but you'll have to find a tool to push it into the rubber tube.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Nice little fix...thanks for the insight. This should be the end of this thread. We had a problem, and now we have a solution.

As Chris W. says, "Is this a great place, or what?"
Old 12-07-2004, 06:36 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Thanks Martin, great post.This may be the answer to all my current running problems! I'm suffering from strangled engine syndrome of some sort, under load, heavy acceleration etc. blah blah...... I'll try it tomorrow......thanks again
Old 12-07-2004, 06:57 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Oh and thanks for the pics kelly and Jeff...............very helpful...................teamwork.......Hoo Rah
Old 12-07-2004, 08:35 PM
lowblow
Racer

Martin-

Thanks for the post. This is exactly why I'm addicted to Rennlist. I think I'll just add this part to the "replace every 5 year" list.

With my luck I'll try to rig a more permanent solution and have the foreign parts get sucked into my engine!!!

Has anyone gotten a price for this piece yet?

Mike
Old 12-07-2004, 08:48 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody checked theirs and it wasn't collpased?
Mine sure is, I'll probably do the brass tube fix as well, just curious if
there are any out there that don't at least look collapsed?
Old 12-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowblow
Martin-

With my luck I'll try to rig a more permanent solution and have the foreign parts get sucked into my engine!!!

Mike
Mike, that was one of my original concerns. Three reasons it can't happen... first is the diameter of the hard brass tube is larger than any opening in all directions... it will get stuck somewhere else within the rubber part. Second, the hard brass is more than strong enough not to collapse. I put a 25lb weight on it to see if that would collapse the tube, and it didn't squeeze in at all. The hard brass is not going to deform in any manner.

Lastly, if you use the 13/32" OD hard brass tubing it is snug on the inside of the tube... it's not going anywhere anyway.

Ciao!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, mine is not collapsed..but then it has been 3 almost 4 weeks sinse I drove it. That could be enough time for it to lose the vaccuum that it had when driven. I do know the varioram does work as it lets out a howl at 5000 rpm. Don't know the next chance I will get to drive it...last time was the Drivers Skills day up here with the NW PCA. I will have to find some time between work and holiday stuff and weather!

Ciao

Quick Reply: Suspect your Varioram not working? It could be ...