993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new TrafficPros $359; ImagineAuto superchargers?; NewGuy

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005 | 06:41 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Any do it yourself tips on installing the TP? I just picked one up at the local carToys (thanks for the heads up!).
I read through the instructions and noticed I'm missing the radio code card - if CarToys can't find it will they be able to get it from H/K?
Where's the best place for the NAV antenna? The instructions say to avoid going over 110mph with it attached, I would hate to have to remove it for DE's.
Old 01-09-2005 | 08:30 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

The MY95 requires a bit of wiring but not a big deal. I am sure H/K will help you with the code if you provide proof of purchase. I put my antenna on the passenger's dash, very unobtrusive. there may be beater locations but it works well for my Cab.
Do a search for Traffic Pro - a great deal of information. For most DEs you will have an instructor with you for the first runs. If the instructors asks you to run the TP, get another instructor.

Dave
Old 01-10-2005 | 06:59 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Got the code - it had fallen out of the box at CarToys. Now I'm on to researching hte installation. Looking on the web it looks like there might be two issues to resolve (at the moment):
1. Some of the sites mention a digital speed sensor wire, do we have one? Where?
2. It also mention tieing into the reverse lights so that it knows wherther the car is going forwards or backwards. Not sure if this is critical, why does it care if i decide i want to drive to Monterrey backwards?
TIA,
Mark
(Getting ready for a weekend of installs: the TP, remote locks and DAS roll bar).
Old 01-10-2005 | 07:07 PM
texas911
Race Car

I think you can do without those two wires. Of course I could be wrong. I'm thinking about getting one for my car. It came with the CR-1. And the front speakers are blown out. But I'm mainly looking for good sound, not audiofile. And most importantly, want to keep the stock look.
Old 01-12-2005 | 04:24 PM
texas911
Race Car

I went to Car Toys and they only have the demo TrafficPro's in stock. The one I saw had some scratches and of course who know's how long it had been in demo. Do you think its worth it?
Old 01-12-2005 | 05:44 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the face plate is scratched, no big deal. If it won't polish out, you can buy a Porsche nameplate at Becker for $155. And you are correct that the two wires are not critical - if you lose the satelite in a tunnel they might come in handy.
The reverse wire can be picked up in the Climate Control or the fuse panel. The Speed wire is right there on the Spoiler module. A number of fellow wrote some very informative threads on this DIY and they are worth a search.

Dave

Last edited by Dudley; 03-14-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2005 | 05:52 PM
lovesCurves
Track Day

Default a DIY picture's worth a thousand words

ColoradoMark- Installation done? How'd it go?

Originally Posted by Dudley
A number of fellow wrote some very informative threads on this DIY and they are worth a search. Dave
Dave (Dudley)- I agree there's a good number of posts with words on this subject, but a shortage of helpful photos. Your shots of your new faceplate's auto-dimming are motivational, but for me to get to that point, can you or anyone else take some pics to illustrate details, such as your following post:
Originally Posted by Dudley
I finally found an easy source for the reverse signal. I tied into the Backup Light control relay (R51) on the Central Electric Board. The signal can found at pin 87 on the relay/pin 5 on the socket. I lifted the board and tapped into the black/blue wire running from the back side of the socket. I then just ran the wire through one of the existing entry points in the passengers foot well. Dave
I'm having a subwoofer & amp installed, so I took my boxed TP along for a professional install. Ironically, instead of simplifying the process, they balked, saying they wouldn't accept the responsibility if they mis-connected something on a Porsche. Also ironic since they're reputable, the sub & amp are from their customer who later sold to me when parting out his 986, & I've seen a 964 & a 993 in their bay. I took John Felker's instructions with me, & that didn't help. I've also given them hard copies of all the pertinent search results currently on Rennlist. Now I have a stock-looking radio that plays music, but says "GPS antenna error" since they refused to connect to the speedo GAL info, etc. The dealer said they're not familiar with this installation, & another Porsche-familiar (but not TP-familiar) business estimated $200 to finish the connections.

The Porsche flat pin connectors (#N 903 352 04) are on order so I can do the rest myself. I found this photo

on a BMW / TP website. Is that what the Porsche part looks like?

I'm no electrical engineer, so:
Anyone reading this who's done a TP installation- Please post photos of each connection after your install: looking for the GAL, reverse, & dimming connections. Here's a starter from Dave's thread:

The spoiler module photo is great, since it's easily recognizable under the passenger's dash. Please confirm I'm looking for the white/red wire: when I read Mr. Felker's Porsche TP bulletin, page six, 2.4, says to splice into the Gr/Pk speed signal.

The speed signal's the most important, so let's make sure that's documented well, at the least. At best, need at least four clarifying photos, please: after-surgery splice at the spoiler module, connection into back of TP / flat-pin connector; splice into reverse wire (specify climate control or fuse); splice into dimming light (specify ash tray or fog light area). If you take these pictures with the mentality of helping out the least-experienced DIYer, I'm sure you'll be helping out a lot of Rennlisters. 993-specific schematics/ diagrams (as opposed to radio-specific) showing where the components are located are a close second if you can't take useful photos.

Speaking of helping others, here's a summary of some TP posts, not hyperlinked above:
BobbyT's "New 993!"
BobbyT's "CR-1 Radio Removal--Trafficpro Arrived!" with recent posts from Dave & Mark
Bob D's '"Traffic Pro" in a 993?'
Randy's "Message for Jkuniverse"
Tom's "speed wire for TrafficPro" (996)
From the Becker(Harman Kardon) website: "Will the TrafficPro work in a 993?"
Old 02-06-2005 | 09:58 PM
nman413
Drifting

Does the TrafficPro have an AUX output like the CDR220s?
Old 02-06-2005 | 11:55 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icerbofh
Does the TrafficPro have an AUX output like the CDR220s?
Yes, it has one Aux In, and is taken by the CD changer if equipped.
I have my line-level outputs connected to the factory amplifier

Last edited by Novice; 02-07-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2005 | 12:27 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Interesting thread. Ok - so I searched all the threads and didn't come up with an answer to my 2 questions.

1. Can I replace my cdr-210 in my 97 carrera with the traffic pro and just simply hook it up to the factory harness?

2. Does this unit then allow me to hook up an i-pod and get satellite navigation to get me where I want to go?

Seems to good to be true..
Old 02-07-2005 | 12:34 AM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
Interesting thread. Ok - so I searched all the threads and didn't come up with an answer to my 2 questions.

1. Can I replace my cdr-210 in my 97 carrera with the traffic pro and just simply hook it up to the factory harness?

2. Does this unit then allow me to hook up an i-pod and get satellite navigation to get me where I want to go?

Seems to good to be true..
Yep. to both questions. I just installed mine (also a 97 C4S) 3 weeks ago (replacing CDR210 tape unit). Took me about 2 hours in frigid temperature !
There is detailed instructions on configuring the CD changer input as aux-in, you will need to order, or make your own cable to i-pod. Mine works wonderfully with the becker/silverstone CD changer.
Old 02-07-2005 | 12:37 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Novice,
Where did you put the antenna for the satellite nav system... there is one right?
Old 02-07-2005 | 12:42 AM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
Novice,
Where did you put the antenna for the satellite nav system... there is one right?
Cable tied to existing wirings under the dash to the left then up to the top of dash, wedged between the lower left of the windshield and A pillar... with not much cable length left
Old 02-07-2005 | 12:44 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Thank you Gerry.
Old 02-07-2005 | 07:17 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Loves Curves, Do you have a wiring diagram for the 993?

As they say in London, "Don't chuck a panic!" we will get you some photos.

Dave

Quick Reply: new TrafficPros $359; ImagineAuto superchargers?; NewGuy