Sponsored by:

speed wire for TrafficPro

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 03:22 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed wire for TrafficPro

Hello, I will be installing a TP in a friends '01 996 coupe with the DSP. Where do you get the speed control wire from? Can you take it from the DSP? What color is it? Do you have to jump any other wires? I installed one in my '01 Cabriolet but I only have the Bose, very easy install.I only had to jump 1 wire to the amp.

Thanks

Tom
Old 07-06-2004, 07:51 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont know whata TP is. But in the 04 cars, the grey / pink wire is the speed pulse signal wire. It is in the relay box and also is connected to the radio.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:25 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Tom,
All porsche radio's have GAL (whatever the hell it stands for, it means speed sensitive volume). As such the wiring harness for the stock unit already has a speed wire (and yes its grey/pink). Its the reverse wire that is tricky, many people usually don't bother, as it really only comes into play when you're below ground with out a signal and back up...
Old 07-07-2004, 02:05 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Originally posted by 01 C4 Cab NYC
Its the reverse wire that is tricky, many people usually don't bother, as it really only comes into play when you're below ground with out a signal and back up...
Sorry if this is a stupid question. Does this mean that the radio needs a signal (e.g. it has a GPS reciever) to calculate speed?
Old 07-07-2004, 02:27 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

I was under the impression that because the car has DSP, the speed wire is not connected to the head unit and is at the DSP unit.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:39 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Houlds...if the car does not have a signal, then it needs the speedo and reverse to calc where you're going.

Tom, I thought that the DSP was just like a separate EQ of sorts for the stereo. It still uses the stock Becker CDC-220 or whatever, so it should have GAL which means it must have a speed wire in there. Unless there is a grey/pink from the DSP to the headunit...
Old 07-08-2004, 07:43 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

A Nav system uses the speed sensor signal to calculate the times for destination and speed calculation. And reverse to figure in if you back up . The GPS can function with out that info.
At least in 04, there is a grey/pink going from the relay/fuse panel to the radio.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:25 AM
huskydog
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just finished the install of a Traffic Pro in my 01 with DSP. Yes you must have the speed wire connected for the GPS to be able to calculate your travel time. It is not in the wiring harness for the radio. You must tap into the main relay box above the fuse panel. It is Grey/Pink and it is in position 23. Shine a bright light on the plastic relay frame you will see the numbers (bottom left as you face the panel 2nd one from the left if I remember correctly).

The reverse wire is under the drivers seat. The TP will work fine without hooking this up, but it is not that difficult to do once you remove the seat (2 plastic covers and 4 bolts, but you need a torx socket #20 I think).

To get the sound to work don't forget to jumper the factory wiring harness A5 white to C1-6green/brown.

PM me if you want the Service Bulletin from Porsche, its for the Boxster, but the install is identical.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:05 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

Awsome, thanks for the info.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:21 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For huskydog,
I got my Trafficpro to replace the CR-210 and everything was all 'plug and play' but guess what? no sound at all. I had no idea then I did the search and came upon your advise to jumper A5 to C1-6...and it worked beautifully. I just wanted to say 'thank you'.

Quick Reply: speed wire for TrafficPro