Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife wants to buy me DE or racing school...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 12:37 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wife wants to buy me DE or racing school...

I am a Rennlist member, but not yet a PCA member as I'm still working on closing the deal on my first 993. My wife said she's like to give me track time/autocross/DE for x-mas, but I don't know the best place to send her to look...I'm closest to Lime Rock so Skip Barber would be in but I think I'd prefer lessons/time in my own car. Also, I'd like the flexibility of picking a time in the spring to redeem it.

What's the best place to send her to spend a few hundred $ for this?

Thanks all!

John
Old 11-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Very cool of your wife to help you out. If you want to use your own car, then do a DE or two in your area. You're in the Connecticut Valley region: here's their website.

Also, you can check Dale and Adam's Track Schedule for the latest DE dates in your area.

Not that you need any prodding, but have fun!
Old 11-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

John,

For a few hundred $$$, then your best bet would be PCA DE events, IMO. Skip Barber is pretty expensive with their courses ($1,500 - $2k??). Good luck finding your C4S.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:47 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a course, make sure you find out about the insurance and who pays for a car if you wreck it. My understanding is in teh SB course (which a friend just did and thoguht was great), if you wreck the car, you simply go get in another one (assuming you can walk). No cost to you. Not all schools work that way...

Saw some writeup about a less formal school in NH, I think, teaching rally driving. I was thinking about that one. Throw a car around in the dirt some..... not mine, of course!
Old 11-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi John,

Good luck with your purchase. You'll have a blast.

I think your best bet is to join the PCA. They organize plenty of DE events in our region and you can also participate in DEs hosted by other regions. The tracks that are mainly used in our region (NorthEast) is Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, and the Poconos. I belong to the Metro NY Region and I believe they schedule each track twice per season. I would believe that goes for the Connecticut region as well. Unfortunately, I think the DE season around us is over, so you'll have to wait for the 2005 season.

I just realized I haven't answered your main question yet. I would suggest for your wife to check out the Connecticut PCAs website (www.pca.org) for upcoming DEs. They are relatively cheap compared with a Skip Barber or equivalent (approx. $250/per event, which is usually 2 days). You can probably register for all the DE's in the season and it will still come out cheaper then a Skip Barber, especially since you indicated you would like to learn in your own car. It is also nice to try out different tracks, instead of being limited to one. That's if you don't mind travelling a little. A tip I received is to register for all the DE events ahead of time. This way you won't get closed out of an event and the money is full refundable after a certain date. That is how the Metro PCA works, not sure if that applies to the other regions as well.

Another nice advantage of joining the PCA is that they organize events that appeal to all. They have treks, rallies, Porsche Parade (which is near us at Hershey Park next year), concours that may appeal to, say your wife, if the DEs don't do so. That way if she becomes addicting, it'll set you up for your next or additional Porsche!
Old 11-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Kristoffer
Pro

I think the simple question is do you want to learn how to drive on the track or do you want to learn how to drive your P-Car on the track? A race school will teach you how to drive fast and you will have a great time!! A DE will teach you how to drive your car & as long as your not stressed out about driving YOUR car on the track you will have a blast!! As simular as they sound they IMO are two different experiences!!

PS I take my car to DE's but I would like to attend a high end race school!!
Old 11-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Best of both worlds...
CVR has been partnering with Skip Barber School in the last 2 years, where you drive your own P-Car at LimeRock. It is only offered once a year in Novice and Advanced level. Price is higher than DEs but way lower than regular Skip Barber classes. Taught by the same professional instructors and follow the same format.
I had a blast in April and is planning to attend again next year. http://cvrpca.org/cvrcalendar.php?month=April.

There was a great article in a past issue of CVR monthly newsletter. I may be able to fax you a copy if you interest in.

Last edited by Novice; 11-30-2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:52 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Yes, I am very lucky to have an understanding partner. Last night as I was pulling together some more candidate cars to look through this weekend, she asked me; "how long have you been saving for the porsche (she even pronounces it correctly)?" I said "Since I was 6." She said "Go spend whatever you need to then." Lucky indeed.

I want to learn to drive my (new to me) car better on the road, and to explore the edges of my driving skills in a safe place. I can pretty well thrash my TTQR around and know where its edges are (giant friggin' understeer!) The 993s I've driven so far have always been with extreme care and caution. I don't want to find out the hard way that I overestimated my or its capabilities. I have fantasies of tracking the car eventually, but no delusions about that being any time before I can absorb some training.

Sounds like a membership to PCA and a DE gift certificate are good places to point her!

Thanks all,
John
Old 11-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Jack Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

John,

I agree with Arrwin - best bang for the $ is PCA DE, hands down.

Only issue to be concerned about is insurance. I would recommend looking into track insurance if you plan on doing this frequently - and I predict you will be hooked after just one weekend

There are a few good companies out there that offer track insurance at what I think is a reasonable price. Get yourself a copy of the latest Pano and look for the ads.

I bet you could sign up for all of your region's DE events and pay for your track insurance for less than one Skip Barber weekend.

Sure, you aren't driving a formula car in PCA DE, and you will not be learning to race, but from what I gather, you want to learn how to drive YOUR car.

Take the plunge - you'll have a blast! If you want more than PCA - then sign up for a SB event.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

i would really do a racing school (im looking for one as well) .. ive done several DE's - had great fun - cant say enough great things .. but to be honest, it is very difficult to exploit the true limits of your car if you are not an advanced driver in DE - lets be honest, you can do more than on the street, but you can still easily wreck your car at limerock. For example, i have no idea how to countersteer or really how to get the car back in line if it begins to slide out. I dont think you want to practice this with your car at a track with other cars all around you. i think a racing school would provide a better set of skills that you can then take back to DE and your car.

btw, it is great that your wife is being so supportive.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:11 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Yes, I'm lucky.

Really funny is that she wants Yoga and Pilates lessons...a double present for me!
Old 12-01-2004, 11:07 AM
JohnJL
Pro

Better than giving her karate lessons, I'm sure.

Wow, really OT now.

I pointed her at PCA.org last night...thanks all!
Old 12-01-2004, 03:03 PM
nman413
Drifting

I like tracquest too. Expensive but good instructors.

Quick Reply: Wife wants to buy me DE or racing school...