Sponsored by:

Gotta show off my baby!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 05:35 PM
Ric
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Gotta show off my baby!

Had to show off my car after installing the H&R Coil-overs, RSR sway bars, Euro Front bumper cover, and Turbo S ducts. Thanks to Gert for everything!
Old 09-01-2001, 06:27 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Very, very nice! Any pix of the front Turbo S ducts? Also, which rear spoiler is that?
Old 09-01-2001, 08:05 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ric,

She's a beauty! Your ride height looks great, with the slight degree of nose down attitude that Bruce Anderson recommends.

When looking at my car (with Eibach springs installed by the previous owner), there seems to be an incorrect nose up attitude - i.e. more space between the tire and fender lip in front, whereas yours has slightly more space in the rear.

Time to get H&R coilovers (or maybe those PSS9s). How does your car drive with the new set-up?

Old 09-01-2001, 08:34 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>there seems to be an incorrect nose up attitude - i.e. more space between the tire and fender lip in front, whereas yours has slightly more space in the rear.</STRONG>
Anir,

The nose up or down attitude has nothing to do with correctness. It is largely dictated by corner balancing. However, some prefer to fine tune the balance of their car for more forward weight transfer towards the front thus choosing to lower the front a bit more. My car feels perfectly balanced the way it is without a lower stance in front. Your car has more weight at the back and may benefit from a slightly lower front.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:24 PM
Ric
Intermediate

Here is a front pic. The difference between the stock setup and the H&Rs/RSR bars is significant. I wasn't sure how much of a difference I would notice without tracking the car, but the precision of cornering is noticably better. I haven't noticed a difference in ride quality either. I should really appreciate it when I track the car!
The rear spoiler is somewhat of a mystery, it was on the car when I bought it. It looks a lot like the spoiler that was part of the Aero package from Porsche, however, the only distinquishing marks I can find on it are '993 Turbo' on the underside of the lid. Who knows!
Old 09-02-2001, 12:21 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Viken: Anir, The nose up or down attitude has nothing to do with correctness. It is largely dictated by corner balancing. However, some prefer to fine tune the balance of their car for more forward weight transfer towards the front thus choosing to lower the front a bit more. My car feels perfectly balanced the way it is without a lower stance in front. Your car has more weight at the back and may benefit from a slightly lower front.
Viken,

Thank you for your insight. I agree that the added rear weight on the turbo is partially responsible for the lower rear stance. At first, I suspected that the previous owner had installed 993NA Eibach springs, but the part #s read "7209", which I believe is correct for the 993TT (i.e. slightly stiffer rear to handle the increased weight).

My comments come from the observation that friends' 993s (albeit NA) do not sit as squatted in the rear as mine, coupled with the following comment by Bruce Anderson in "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook", page 201:

"What most people consider to be 'Euro Spec' is actually lower than the true European specifications. The correct ride height will result in a measurement of about 25 inches when measured from the ground to the rear fender lip. The 911 should have a slight nose-down attitude (about 1 deg slope), which will result in a measurement about 1/2 inch higher at the front fender lip (about 25 1/2 inches)."

On my car, the height is 25 3/4 inches front and 24 3/4 inches rear (when not occupied). Therefore, the back's a bit too low, and the front's a bit too high (i.e. nose up). Ric's car looks much more correct in his picture.

As I understand it, the stock shocks with Eibach springs can not be truly corner balanced, since they are not threaded units. I corner balanced Greg's track 993NA with him last month, and this is one of the reasons I am considering upgrading to the H&R coilovers or possibly the PSS9s.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:44 AM
tc
Intermediate

She looks great! Just curious, what size are the tires and wheels?
Thanks......
Old 09-02-2001, 01:43 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

<STRONG>

Viken,

Thank you for your insight. I agree that the added rear weight on the turbo is partially responsible for the lower rear stance. At first, I suspected that the previous owner had installed 993NA Eibach springs, but the part #s read "7209", which I believe is correct for the 993TT (i.e. slightly stiffer rear to handle the increased weight).

My comments come from the observation that friends' 993s (albeit NA) do not sit as squatted in the rear as mine, coupled with the following comment by Bruce Anderson in "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook", page 201:

"What most people consider to be 'Euro Spec' is actually lower than the true European specifications. The correct ride height will result in a measurement of about 25 inches when measured from the ground to the rear fender lip. The 911 should have a slight nose-down attitude (about 1 deg slope), which will result in a measurement about 1/2 inch higher at the front fender lip (about 25 1/2 inches)."

On my car, the height is 25 3/4 inches front and 24 3/4 inches rear (when not occupied). Therefore, the back's a bit too low, and the front's a bit too high (i.e. nose up). Ric's car looks much more correct in his picture.

As I understand it, the stock shocks with Eibach springs can not be truly corner balanced, since they are not threaded units. I corner balanced Greg's track 993NA with him last month, and this is one of the reasons I am considering upgrading to the H&R coilovers or possibly the PSS9s.</STRONG>
Anir, I think the Euro springs still favor a lower rear end, as does aftermarket springs like H&R and Eibach. I think it is a result of aggresive looks and the lower front end and its clearance for angled driveways, as opposed to performance.

As a point of reference, my '95 car which was equiped with coilovers was corner-balanced and aligned at the RS specs, which does have a lower front to rear ratio. It only makes sense since this car was geared more toward performance than your standard Carrera.

-Matt
Old 09-02-2001, 03:48 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
<STRONG>My comments come from the observation that friends' 993s (albeit NA) do not sit as squatted in the rear as mine, coupled with the following comment by Bruce Anderson in "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook", page 201:

"What most people consider to be 'Euro Spec' is actually lower than the true European specifications. The correct ride height will result in a measurement of about 25 inches when measured from the ground to the rear fender lip. The 911 should have a slight nose-down attitude (about 1 deg slope), which will result in a measurement about 1/2 inch higher at the front fender lip (about 25 1/2 inches)."</STRONG>
Anir,

Can't comment about your 993 Turbo's ride height but the above comment is totally meaningless. A proper corner balance may dictate just about any ride height which may or may not agree with the author's comments from that book.
Old 09-02-2001, 05:59 AM
mani-1
Intermediate

Smile

Great looking car Ric!!!!
Mani
Old 09-02-2001, 11:37 AM
Richard C4S
Instructor

Ric,
Very nice looking with the cooling ducts. Does this euro-bumper still accommodate the driving lamps that are in the US bumper?
Richard 1996 C4S
Old 09-02-2001, 03:01 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by Viken:
<STRONG>
. . . but the above comment is totally meaningless. A proper corner balance may dictate just about any ride height which may or may not agree with the author's comments from that book.</STRONG>
I'm going to agree with Viken here. I just measured my car:

Front
Left: 24.75"
Right: 24.50"
Rear
Left: 25.25"
Right: 25.25"

This appears to be wrong, but my car corner balances to within 1 pound.
Old 09-02-2001, 08:42 PM
Ric
Intermediate

Cool

The Euro Bumper and Turbo S ducts have their own fog light to replace the US factory fog light. The wheels are Kinesis K28, 8x18, 10x18, tires 225/40ZR18 and 285/30ZR18. Thanks for the comments!
Old 09-02-2001, 09:42 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Nice car Ric! I like those wheels. I have the 17" K5 and 18" FRH, I'm thinking of replacing my 18" with 19" but I've been contemplating since 19" will have slower acceleration to the car.

Ron
Old 09-03-2001, 04:20 AM
SteveG.
Rennlist Member

It looks sweet Ric! I too am trying to decide b/w the HRs, PSS9s, and the M030 ROW package. What do you think of the ride quality for everyday street driving? I want to go with coil-overs but I am afraid they will be too harsh.

Quick Reply: Gotta show off my baby!