Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking about buying a 993 Cup Car - Need info!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 12:24 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 44 Posts
Post I'm thinking about buying a 993 Cup Car - Need info!

Greetings to all. Either my ***** have gotten bigger, or my brain has gotten smaller - that could be debated for an eternity! Bottom line is that since I barely drive my modded 993TT on the street these days, I'm thinking about selling it and getting a 993 Supercup car for dedicated track use. The problem is that there is a paucity of info available on the Cup cars. I've scoured every back issue of Panorama and Excellence that I could get my hands on. If anybody has links to European road tests, articles, reviews etc., please forward them to me. It would be much appreciated. TIA!!
Old 08-31-2001, 02:42 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robb,

Call Steve Weiner... He can bend your ear for an hour or more about 993 CUP Cars. He'll even explain that the factory didn't install Spherical bearings on the CUP cars (Many were modified here in the US)... just on the RSR's.

Here's one that Steve's shop built. It is VERY fast.

Rick
Old 08-31-2001, 06:08 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
RT:

That car came to us as a bone-stock '95 993 Cup car that had a fresh PM motor 2 years ago.

Now, its highly modified with Moton triple-adjustable suspension, custom springs, EVO brakes, ERP full spherical bearings, lots of tricky stuff with the suspension, a 3.8 motor with tall butterfly injection, Motec, and our own cams, heads and lots of internal stuff, with a full active 6-speed gearbox.

The chassis went on a serious diet with CF doors, hood, tail, fenders and a host of details,..............

Its a really neat car that is very forgiving and quite fast.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:23 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

I really like Jay's car!!! That's one of the cleanest and fastest 993 CUP cars I have ever seen. If he ever wants to sell it let me know.

I saw him racing last Sunday at the Portland PCA races, and that car is very quick.

Should have brought my video cam!!

Rick
Old 08-31-2001, 08:51 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Rob W.:
<STRONG>If anybody has links to European road tests, articles, reviews etc., please forward them to me. It would be much appreciated. TIA!!</STRONG>
Rob,

I was reading some back issues of Excellence and I re-read an article about one of the first 996 Cup cars that a guy had imported and he also had a 993 Cup Car there for comparision. David Murray drove both and did a comparision. If you need the date of the issue let me know but it was back in 98 I think.
Greg
Old 08-31-2001, 09:25 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Steve, that car is sweet. Where's the Rennsport Sticker?

Did you all make the rear tow hook, and does it just bolt to the bottom of the block wiht existing bolts?

Thanx as always. E. J.
Old 08-31-2001, 12:31 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<STRONG>
Rob,

I was reading some back issues of Excellence and I re-read an article about one of the first 996 Cup cars that a guy had imported and he also had a 993 Cup Car there for comparision. David Murray drove both and did a comparision. If you need the date of the issue let me know but it was back in 98 I think.
Greg</STRONG>
Greg,

That is the one historic comparison that I was able to locate. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2001, 12:43 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>Did you all make the rear tow hook, and does it just bolt to the bottom of the block wiht existing bolts?

</STRONG>
My mechanic gave me the number for a guy that makes these hooks for the front and rear. I think they bolt directly to the tub. His name is Gary Dell no website that I know of his number is 916 383 8994. I haven't ordered anything from him but I do need to get a front tow hook. He also makes the protective cages for nitrogen bottles.
Greg
Old 08-31-2001, 12:46 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Rick in Portland:
<STRONG>Steve,

I really like Jay's car!!! That's one of the cleanest and fastest 993 CUP cars I have ever seen. If he ever wants to sell it let me know.

</STRONG>
What class does he race in? I see a 2S sticker so I am assuming he is no longer eligible to run in the Cup Car class within PCA?
Why didn't he just start with an RSR, looks like that is what he has now.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:10 PM
RL Technical Advisor

<STRONG>
What class does he race in? I see a 2S sticker so I am assuming he is no longer eligible to run in the Cup Car class within PCA?
Why didn't he just start with an RSR, looks like that is what he has now. </STRONG>
That picture is about a year old. He races it in PCA Club racing in GT-2, I think. He also does many SCCA events, as well.

At the time he bought it, RSR's were unobtanium and over $ 160K. This car has evolved into something very close to an RSR with less overall investment, all things being equal. As delivered from Porsche, an RSR needs LOTS of work to be competitive and will not work anywhere near what this car is capable of.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:41 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I got ride in a bone stock RSR Cup car (narrow-bodied RSR vs the full tilt EVO body work) and it was quit a ride. What needed to be done to make it competitive?
My guess was suspension as the car seemed over sprung. It sure didn't feel underpowered, but I drive a street slug so I may not be very objective. I have seen several RSR's lately that are not much over $100K. I guess, except for Club racers there isn't much of a market for that model still.
Greg
Old 08-31-2001, 04:02 PM
RL Technical Advisor

<STRONG>I got ride in a bone stock RSR Cup car (narrow-bodied RSR vs the full tilt EVO body work) and it was quit a ride. What needed to be done to make it competitive?
My guess was suspension as the car seemed over sprung. It sure didn't feel underpowered, but I drive a street slug so I may not be very objective. I have seen several RSR's lately that are not much over $100K. I guess, except for Club racers there isn't much of a market for that model still.
Greg</STRONG>
Hi Greg:

Not to be nitpicky, but there seems to be confusion in terminology and as how these cars are VERY different, I must point out that RSR's and Cup car's are 2 different creatures. There are far more differences besides the bodywork. The engine, tranny suspension, and brakes are not the same. Many RSR's had the optional GT-2 EVO brakes with the 380mm rotors,.......

As far as changes we made,.........
The RSR and Cup versions of the 993 race cars came with a Bilstein suspension; later RSR's used a remote-reservoir, externally adjustable version and none of these worked anywhere near as well as a JRZ or Moton.
This is one of the first changes we made. Cup cars have steel body work and we swapped that to save weight and facilitate damage repair.

This Cup car received the full EVO brake upgrades. We also fabricated and installed a REAL brake cooling setup that forces air into the eye of the rotor. Many hours were spent bump-steering the car and many hours of track time were spent optimizing the Moton triple adjustables. The tranny received a pump & cooler, a GT Racing LSD and 6 new GT racing gearsets. This is a dog box; no syncros.

The stock engine (3.6) got a fancy chip from me and better valve springs & retainers. Later on, it was upgraded to 3.8 litres, got Pauter rods, many internal mods and the rest of the changes to cams, heads, etc. The Motec and tall butterfly intakes were recently added.

As delivered, these cars had 315 HP, and now it has a lot more,.............
Old 08-31-2001, 05:10 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve,
I definetly know the difference between a Cup Car and an RSR. The Cup Cars pass me like I am standing still. The RSR's like I am full tilt in reverse

Seriously this car was a 3.8 Cup RSR. Same body as the Cup car but with the 360hp 3.8 and other RSR only goodies.
Here is one that is for sale: classified ad for 3.8 Cup RSR
Here is a spec sheet also

spec sheet for 3.8 Cup RSR

I think Fordahl racing also campaign one in the late 90's.
Old 08-31-2001, 07:40 PM
RL Technical Advisor

<STRONG>Steve,
I definetly know the difference between a Cup Car and an RSR. The Cup Cars pass me like I am standing still. The RSR's like I am full tilt in reverse

Seriously this car was a 3.8 Cup RSR. Same body as the Cup car but with the 360hp 3.8 and other RSR only goodies.
Here is one that is for sale: classified ad for 3.8 Cup RSR
Here is a spec sheet also

spec sheet for 3.8 Cup RSR

I think Fordahl racing also campaign one in the late 90's.</STRONG>
Hi Greg:

LOL,...I know what you mean. There are no comparisons between these 2600 lb things with either 315 or 350+ HP and ANY street car,.....

That RSR for sale looks like its got all the mods except for the GT-2 big brakes. These EVO brakes are much larger in rotor & caliper size. The only thing it really would need are different dampers to be competitive.
Indeed, Greg Fordahl did run one of these when Darrel Havens owned that stable of racecars. It was very well setup as he is the Race Engineer for the Alex Job Racing operation.

IMHO, you REALLY need to buy that car!!!!
Old 08-31-2001, 10:51 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Wink

Here's the link that you are looking for:
http://www.us.porsche.com/national/m...e/gt3cup38.htm

JM

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying a 993 Cup Car - Need info!