993 Forum 1995-1998

DAS Rollbar

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 07:48 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAS Rollbar

I am trying to figure out if this unit will still mount even though I have the Car Audio Innovation subwoofers in my 993. I would like to see pictures of where the roll bar is bolted to the floor so that I can figure out if I can make it work. I searched for pictures but they seem to not be loading. Any thoughts on what color I should have the thing painted for a Polar silver cab? Anyone have a used bar?
Thanks as always to the board for showing me where to spend my hard earned buck.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

If no one has posted photos, I'll try and do it tomorrow.

WRT painting, I'd do black or silver.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:26 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

That would be great. I want to be able to go to more POC events and maybe even some other events-I think its safer too.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:40 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
My (993 coupe) DAS doesn't bolt to the floor. It bolts to the outboard seatbelt mounts of the rear seats and the bolts that hold the front seatbelt retractor (underneath the trim panels under the rear windows).

The lower bar runs (from memory) just in front of the front lip of the bottom half of the rear seats.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Michael, I just noticed you have a cabriolet in your avatar. I assume the bar is for the cab? I think I may still have some photos from Matt (H20N0) that he sent me before I got one for my cab (since sold). I'll look when I get home later tonight.

If the subwoofer fills the footwell (or even close) it's unlikely to fit.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:41 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ppressle
Hi,
My (993 coupe) DAS doesn't bolt to the floor. It bolts to the outboard seatbelt mounts of the rear seats and the bolts that hold the front seatbelt retractor (underneath the trim panels under the rear windows).

The lower bar runs (from memory) just in front of the front lip of the bottom half of the rear seats.
For cabs, the DAS bar has to be bolted to the floor, I believe.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Forever993
Advanced

I don't have a picture of mine or Chris's but I will say we saw one tested this season. After blowing through a tire wall sideways a 964 rolled over multiple times along the dirt barrier wall. It was ugly but the bar held up perfectly. The fire department cut off the roof since the car ended up on the drivers door. Chris and I were relieved when we saw how well the bar stood up. Money well spent!
Old 11-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, in a cab it definitely bolts to the floor - 3 bolts per side. Sorry, but it looks like I deleted the photos I had. Each foot is about 5 inches wide and 3 .5 inches deep and fits into the rear outside corner of the footwell (if my memory is any good).
Old 11-24-2004, 02:58 AM
mleds
Rennlist Member

So far very helpful!!! Any pics even better. Ideally I wont roll the car, but the added safety is nice. I like that it is removeable so I can throw it in for the DE days.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:14 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Michael,

Are you going to be doing a lot of POC STS events next year? After taking a few years off, I will be returning in January. I'd like to see a lot of 993s out there. It seems like there are a lot of interested SoCal Rennlisters who may be doing more events. Good luck on the bar.

Rich

Last edited by 911; 11-24-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:38 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

I would like to do as many events as possible. I decided to rent the track out with family and freinds (many fellow Rennlisters to be invited) but found out that while using the tracks insurance (without POC insurance), you must have a rollbar to run. I then decided that it is just a safer bet to have the bar.
Michael
Old 11-25-2004, 11:51 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Michael, I have both the DAS roll bar and the car audio innovations subwoofers. They definitely do not fit, nor can they easily be adapted to fit together. I would take a picture for you, however my car is with viperbob. I'll have it back next week and will be happy to take a pic for you.

so with that said - here is what i do. i replaced the hinge that is used to mount the top and bottoms. i substituted it with a quick release snap. This way i can remove the subs in about 2 mins and reinstall in the same time. This is optimal for me as I do NOT want the extra weight of subs in the car on the track anyway. Hoepfully that makes sense...

Cheers,
Boris
Old 11-28-2004, 08:04 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Default quick release???

Boris,
Do you then take out the rollbar each time you put in the subs. Also, what type of quick release mechanism are you using. Did you have extra holes afterwards? I am going to copy you if thats alright.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:22 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i do take the roll bar in and out for events. takes about 30 mins to put in and about 10 mins to take out.

the quick release does not put any more holes into the floorpan than are already there.

i'll take some pics and post (hopefully tomorrow as that is when i get my car back).

Cheers,
Boris
Old 11-29-2004, 12:15 AM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Awesome..... I will be ordering the DAS bar tomorrow..... Woo hoo!

Quick Reply: DAS Rollbar