993 Forum 1995-1998

Clutch all the way when shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 06:42 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Clutch all the way when shifting?

I was watching a p-car instuctional track video and was amazed how fast the driver was shifting -- As a new 993 owner, I'm curious if you guys depress the clutch all the way down when shifting when the car is in motion. Given the high clutch on a 993, I can't shift super-fast.
For example if the clutch engages at 50% of the way up from the floor (when stationary), do you only depress to this point when shifting in motion?
Old 12-12-2001, 06:53 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Hi Rob,

I rarely depress the clutch all the way down when I'm shifting. Personally I don't think it's necessary to depress the clutch all the way down during shifting.

Hope this helps,
pin
Old 12-12-2001, 06:54 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
It's probably better to be smooth than fast.

But to answer your question, I'll turn to Hurley Haywood:

"The sweet spot in the clutch pedal is where it engages on the way up... press the clutch pedal to just past the sweet spot. You don't have to go all the way to the floor."

Road Atlanta PDE, November 2001
Old 12-12-2001, 07:01 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys - as usual, you are all great in helping the enthusiatic novices.
Question: Given the above, why is the clutch designed so that the first 60% of movement from the floor doesnt do anything??? For example, the clutch in the 996, or a BMW engages much lower to the floor.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:25 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Steve W,
Speaking of this topic. I have a race clutch and flywheel and you only need to put the clutch in an inch or so and the rest of the travel is wasted. If you put the clutch in too far the revs don't match too well (on upshifts) because the rpms drop so fast with the RS flywheel and short gears. Found this out on the back straight at Mid Ohio in the rain

I wanted to add some sort of clutch stop to prevent the pedal from hitting the floorboard. Is there a product out there for this or do you have anyone that has fabricated such a thing? I looked at a factory GT2 and it was already built into the floorboard (those germans think of everything) so there wasn't anything I could copy. Figured you might have run into this problem once or twice.

Greg
Old 12-13-2001, 02:45 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Wink

Hmm...

My clutch engages about an inch off the floor (I've got the lightweight flywheel & RS clutch). So I always go all the way to the floor with the pedal. Still, I don't think it slows me down any. I get the shifts done pretty quickly...
Old 12-13-2001, 06:44 AM
mags993tt
Instructor

Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>Hmm...

My clutch engages about an inch off the floor (I've got the lightweight flywheel & RS clutch). So I always go all the way to the floor with the pedal. Still, I don't think it slows me down any. I get the shifts done pretty quickly...</STRONG>
It sounds like there is a big difference between clutch biting points everyone is experiencing on this board- how come? I assume it's not all just down to wear - is this something that can be adjusted or is it just down to different makes/types of clutch.
I just bought a 993tt and the clutch (standard as far as I'm aware) bites around 60-70pct the way up in it's travel from the floor. Is this normal? Anyway I'd prefer if it engaged a bit lower.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:37 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

I agree. My clutch engages 60-70% up as well. Why is the majority of the movement wasted? I find this fustrating in city driving.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:58 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My clutch engages about 80% of the way up. Thought it was wearing out prematurely, but guess not. Now if the clutch chatter would just go away...........it is particularly bad in reverse.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:04 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>My clutch engages about an inch off the floor (I've got the lightweight flywheel & RS clutch). So I always go all the way to the floor with the pedal. Still, I don't think it slows me down any. I get the shifts done pretty quickly...</STRONG>
Something else I have in common with DJ - although my example should be thrown out since I have 102000 miles on the original clutch.

E. J.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:39 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts
don't quote me on this, I'm no expert..
but my understanding is, at least when double clutching.. You don't even need the clutch to get out of gear. I know were talking about the full exchange. But if you know your car and it's syncro's you can come out of gear with no clutch at all.
I know this isn't exactly what were talking about and I don't know the specifics, but I think when you lift you can easily pop out of gear sans clutch.
I think that's what some race car drivers do for speedier downshifting. But again, don't quote me.. I just remember reading something to that effect in the book, GOING FASTER..
good luck.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:02 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by B-Line:
<STRONG>don't quote me on this, I'm no expert..
but my understanding is, at least when double clutching.. You don't even need the clutch to get out of gear. I know were talking about the full exchange. But if you know your car and it's syncro's you can come out of gear with no clutch at all.
I know this isn't exactly what were talking about and I don't know the specifics, but I think when you lift you can easily pop out of gear sans clutch.
I think that's what some race car drivers do for speedier downshifting. But again, don't quote me.. I just remember reading something to that effect in the book, GOING FASTER..
good luck.</STRONG>
I believe you can also shift into gear under the same philosophy. I used to do this in my old Audi 4000cs from 2nd to 3rd. I don't think I would try this in the 993 for obvious reasons.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:42 PM
sideways
2nd Gear

Originally posted by B-Line:
<STRONG>at least when double clutching.. You don't even need the clutch to get out of gear.

good luck.</STRONG>

If you can't think of what to get your mechanic for Christmas just give him cash. If you do this regularly with your 993 gearbox, you're going to be giving him some cash anyway...
Old 12-14-2001, 01:22 AM
neunelf
Racer

EJ, I am curious.
With 102,000mi you can be my higher milage expert.
How 'notchy' are your shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd? Does the shifting feel level out or does it continue to slowly degrade?
TIA
Old 12-14-2001, 08:26 AM
mags993tt
Instructor

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>

Something else I have in common with DJ - although my example should be thrown out since I have 102000 miles on the original clutch.

E. J.</STRONG>
seem to remember seeing a thread where clutch biting point hight was being attributed to wear (the higher the more worn). This would seem not to be the case with EJ's original clutch biting 1 inch off the floor at 102,000 miles (unless of course EJ has mastered the clutchless gear change mentioned earlier in this thread and perhaps even the clutchless start!! ) - but seriously EJ that is very impressive - u must drive with a lot of mechanical sympathy. This gives me hope that the biting point is indeed adjustable lower. I am seeing an OPC next Saturday (where I bought the car very recently) and I'm sure when I bring it up they will say "they are all like that" so any thoughts much appreciated to give me some ammo. (Also don't want them to 'try' if it isn't adjustable...)

Quick Reply: Clutch all the way when shifting?