993 Forum 1995-1998

New Zimmerman Rotors rusting

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 08:54 AM
Ken Wise
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Zimmerman Rotors rusting

Several weeks ago I replaced my front rotors due to warpage. Purchased Zimmerman rotors from FCP GROTON. Presented as oem equivalent, about $90 each versus $135 normal dealer cost. They function fine but are full of rust.The hub (which attaches to wheel) is a rusty color as is the very top of the disc- that which does not contact the pad. I have noticed that my rears seem to have a coating-aluminum/gray color and have no indications of rust. As I have updated 18in wheels on my 96 CabI am obviously not pleased with the appearence. Foregn Car Parts says all Zimmerman rotors like this, but they will take the parts back if I am not satisfied. Its a big hassel to swap them out, particularly late in the season here in Ohio so I thought I 'd get everyones opinion first. Any experience with these or any other brand of rotor? BTW, FCP said zimmerman is the oem supplier to Porsche.

Ken
Old 12-10-2001, 10:12 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Ken,

I did the same thing - bought factory rotors for the rear and Zimms for the front. Now the fronts are rusty all over. I guess we could get some hi temp paint to match them, but too much work. I know for next time though. I will say though my Zimms have held up fine to 6 VERY hard track days so far.

E. J.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:47 AM
Tom Trew
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weston Motorsports (advertises in Pano) sells the same Zimmermann rotors, but they do paint the hats prior to shipping. They also offer Cryo treating for about $50 more each. I have been using these for a couple of years now and have been very happy with them.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:58 AM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
High,
You can paint these urself, w/ high temp. spray paint, there are brands w/ colors that are close to factory, I did my rears before installing them and sprayed the entire disc, hub, and edges, the paint wears off quickly where paint is not needed, and it self cures from the heat generated by the engine. No rust, I would do them new, like u said now is a lot of work to remove all that rust and spray.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:28 PM
Ken Wise
Intermediate

Thanks everyone,
I'm wondering if we can't buy factory rotors with the coating already applied and what that might cost. Dealers quote front rotors for $135 ea and I asume that is with the surfaces treated. I hate to have topaint these things with the wheels on and if I have to take the car to my mechanic I might as well replace them if I can find true oem rotors.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:27 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 224 Posts
I buy the same rotors and paint them (even baking them in the oven for a few hours- ummm yummy) prior to mounting them. For the price (I think they were $59 apiece on sale last time I bought em) I would definitely go through the hassle of painting them again. As Tom says they've held up fine- even better since I switched to Hawk pads from PFs.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:16 PM
Ken Wise
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the input. After the commentary from this board and discussion with one of the techs at Pelican Parts, I purchased hi-temp silver metallic paint and painted the hats myself. Looks great and took no time at all. Now we will see how they wear. Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:30 PM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George,
Where did you buy rotors for $59? That sounds like the best deal going....

Curtis
Old 12-13-2001, 06:29 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 224 Posts
I got them from Vertex in Florida. Their normal price is higher; I think about $80 apiece but I try to check their web site regularly as they do have occasional sales.

Quick Reply: New Zimmerman Rotors rusting