Child seat in 993 -opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 07:40 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Post Child seat in 993 -opinions please

All car makers state you must not put a rear facing child seat in the front passenger seat because of the airbag. I read in a consumer magazine in the UK (Which)that the jury was out on how safe it is to put a front facing child seat in an airbag equipped passenger seat. My view is that for a child over 12 months weghing 10kg+, it should be safe. If the car seat is as far back on its runners and the child seat fits flush, then surely if the air bag was deployed, it would actually do its job. I had tried a seat in the back of the 993 but I have seen footage of what happens in a crash and am certain the child seat would impact hard on the unyielding rear of the front seat (don't want to think too much about that)
Is anyone better informed than me, without merely stating what manufacturers say ?
Old 12-09-2001, 12:40 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I'm better informed than most 993 owners, but here' my 0.02$. There is an optional airbag deactivation device to be fitted to the passenger side of the car. When the front passenger seat is used with a child safety seat there is an additional buckle to secure which electronically de-activates the passenger side airbag. This at least allows the option of the front seat without the airbag.

I have no other information on the front facing seat with airbag safety issue, just examples. A friend with a 996 uses the deactivation device with his 4year old in a front facing Porsche booster seat. I've recently bought a front facing safety seat for the rear and I'm waiting for our girl to grow into it (two pounds). You've given me food for thought.

Regards, Nol
Old 12-11-2001, 12:49 PM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

Nol,

How about a model name and pic of the seat you bought for the back seat? I'm at the same point - my four month old is 18.3lbs, and fast approaching the need for a larger seat. I would really like to get baby and mom in the car at the same time, which is going to require a rear seat, front facing for 20lbs+.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:47 PM
Barney
Intermediate

Recaro produces a very nice child seat that "grows" with the children from about 2 yr up to about 12 yr, which is called Recaro Start (see Recaro site). Porsche markets a seat which was (is) a Britax/Romer, model Zoom. This is a 2-part, booster seat with detachable back support including belt deflector, also fully adjustable with the growing child. Both have been tested as the best available in Dutch and German tests of infanyt seats. BTW my inquieries have led me to believe that the front seat is not suited for small children; all crash protection is based upon an adult in the front seat.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:31 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

Originally posted by A.J. - 95 993:
<STRONG>Nol,

How about a model name and pic of the seat you bought for the back seat? </STRONG>
A.J.

No pictures yet, I'll do some this weekend, that's Thursday out here. The seat I got is the Century "Brevara". A rennlist search should give a few hits, some with pictures I'm quite sure as I picked up the tip here.

However, the Century recommended minimum measures for the Brevara are 28/30 lb and 89cm. FYI, our girl is of the June 2000 model and growing fast at 87 cm and 28 lb. And that puts her at the very low limit for the Century. I never managed to fit the more enveloping seats for infants in the back convincingly. Good luck in your search,

Nol
Old 12-12-2001, 11:13 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Barney
I bought a Recaro Start thinking it would fit a 993, but I can't get it to fit in the back -the base is just the wrong shape and too wide. It fits in the front though.
Your statement: "all crash protection is based on an adult in the front seat"
What specifically do you think would be different having an 11kg+ child (rather than an adult) in that front seat - is it the force of airbag activation ?
As I posted earlier, I think the back seat is a dangerous place when you consider how close the back of the passenger seat is.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:58 PM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume there are not any options for rear mounted infant seats in the 993 (infant - &lt;30 lbs) thus allowing mom & dad up front.

can anyone confirm?
Old 12-12-2001, 02:40 PM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

Currently I am using an infant carrier in the back seat of my 993. This carrier is rated from newborn up to 20lbs. It also connects to the stroller. It's by Graco, and is rear facing. This is wonderfully convenient to use, and I think it's easier to get him in and out of my 993 than in my wife's A4 (because the seat is so close to the door in my 993 and I don't have to stoop and stretch much).

The problem I'm trying to solve is the next step, which I think is supposed to be rear facing in the back seat. Sounds like the Century Brevarra is the best choice for the back of the 993, but the minimum weight is 27 lbs or so and it is forward facing only. I take my son to and from daycare every day, and I hate the thought of having to switch cars with my wife.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by A.J. - 95 993:
<STRONG>
The problem I'm trying to solve is the next step, which I think is supposed to be rear facing in the back seat. Sounds like the Century Brevarra is the best choice for the back of the 993, but the minimum weight is 27 lbs or so and it is forward facing only. I take my son to and from daycare every day, and I hate the thought of having to switch cars with my wife.</STRONG>
What about using the Porsche seat in the front of your car with the deactavation device? Clair.com has them for $385. This is the same seat we have in my wife's car and it is made by Britax (I think roundabout is the name of the model).

Here is the info
"For ages 8 months-4 years, 20-40 lbs. facing forward, 5-30 lbs. facing rear. DEACTIVATION DEVICE MUST BE INSTALLED BY PORSCHE DEALER. Top Tether system, reclining option, rear-facing capable, seat belt lock-off points. LATEST SAFETY STANDARDS.
Part Number: PNA-986-025-00
Price: $385.00 "
Old 12-12-2001, 07:41 PM
Raff993
5th Gear

I have a 21 mth old (27 lbs, 36 in long) and use the Britax seat in the rear, fits just right in the base (of course I use a towel to protect the leather). He is comfortable but front seat has to move as far forward as possible. Mom (5'10") fits but little to no leg room. My son loves driving around town with me with the top down. I also bought the Century Brevarra Classic (2001 model) and for some strange reason the base is wider, hence can't use it in the rear of the cab. I speculate the cab has a different rear seat spec than coupes. BTW, Britax cost &lt; $200 vs Porsche Convertible which is $350-$400.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:35 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts
In order for your Century Brevara seat to fit the back seat, it needs to look like this

Old 12-12-2001, 09:52 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts
and it will look like this in the car
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/993CenturyBrev.jpg
Old 12-13-2001, 05:16 AM
Barney
Intermediate

TB993TT, I sure don't hope you bought the Recaro seat after having read my post. I use the Recaro seats and the Britax/Romer seats in "normal" seats. I just purchased a 993 Targa which will be delivered next month, and I have not checked that I can put either of the child seats in the rear seats of the 993. As I gather from the posts above, the Britax seats will fit. As to your front seat-children question, I understand that children are in danger of suffocation because of the airbag, they are likely to hit materials with their head that are not supposed to be hit by heads. The safety considerations during the design of cars are all based on an adult in the front seat, not a (small) child.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:51 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Barney
I bought that Recaro before your post -it is a substantial looking seat but only suitable for the front.
Thanks for your additional comments - I can't see the "suffocation" thing being an issue as airbags deploy then deflate all in a split second, not long enough for suffocation. What you say about materials and small heads, I agree with, but I point out that back seat dilemma again -in a crash the child seat lurches forward at least 15 inches (from footage I have seen) The rear carbon look of my sport seat would do far more damage than any air bag could. I guess I am going nowhere with this until one of the crash test organisations actually tests out what I am suggesting.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:49 AM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

Terry et al, How is the security of the Century Brevara fitted with the 993 rear seat belt in your opinion?

Here's a picture of my Brevara in the car, http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/century.jpg
My base is as pictured above, but I have a different version without the armrests. IMHO although it fits OK, the seat is not quite secure.

The 993 rear seatbelt buckle counterpart is rigid, quite long and attached to the central transmission "tunnel". I've noticed that under braking this longish extension will rotate forward around the bolt that holds it in place. The length of the part gives the seat 2-3 inches of freedom to go forward in this rotating movement. FYI I've tightened the seat belt really well IMHO, and secured it with the clip provided to stop it slipping.

I'm contemplating to fit the anchor supplied with the seat to the car's structure behind the seats and feed the strap through the rear speaker deck to secure it. Has anyone actually done this? Or is there a good way of fixing it with the seat belt that I have missed?

And the issue of 15" of forward motion the case of an incident is getting to me too. Would it help folding the front seat forward when the kid is in the car with the front seat not occupied?

TIA, Nol

Quick Reply: Child seat in 993 -opinions please