993 Forum 1995-1998

Life span of stock 993 shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 03:24 AM
993C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Life span of stock 993 shocks?

Does anyone know what is the normal life span of the original 993 shock absorbers (street driving - no track use)?

Are there any tell-tale signs when a shock is due for replacement?
Old 12-07-2001, 03:46 AM
R SQUADRON 911
Advanced

Depends. Do you have the MO3O option on the car? (via red monroe shocks) or do you have the regular shocks the green Boges?

I had the green regular suspension on the car with H&R springs nad the shocks were gone in about 2 years. I replaced them with MO3O shocks and it's been about 2 years with no problems at all.

If you have stock shocks and springs whether they be MO3O or not they should last for quite sometime. To tell whether your car's shocks are going visually you can see fluid coming out of the shock. Feeling wise you'll probably feel it over bumps and imperfections in the road (being more bouncy).

I hope this helps?
Old 12-07-2001, 06:02 AM
993C4
Instructor

hi r squadron,

not sure what stock shocks i have. i'll have to take a peek tonight. your boges+h&r springs lasting only 2years sounds awefully short.

when you say, 'last quite some time', how long is that? 5 years??

so far no leaks....

993c4
Old 12-07-2001, 06:34 AM
R SQUADRON 911
Advanced

I think depending how you drive they should last at least half the life of your car.

My friend has a 95 993 C4 and till now no shock problems. He has regular shocks on stock springs that's almost 7 years now. They are built to last.

Yes the H&R springs were quite rough and agressive for the stock regular shocks. I drive the car quite hard as well with a few track days.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:40 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

If I might chime in.. I had the same stock shocks with H&R's when I got my C2S in 97 and they went fast.. maybe a year or two, about 5-6,000 miles. I attribute that to the spring mismatching the shock, and I was doing a lot of track duty.

In a 993 with the rear kinematic toe suspension, you will know when the shocks are gone because in spirited driving the back-end will oscillate from side to side (you load the rear corner, then when you straighten out the car and unload, each side will rebound in sympathy with the other for about 4 cycles).. very exciting stuff on the track - probably no big deal on the street. Another sign is the front end bouncing out of sync with the back end of the car over whoopteedoos, aka undulating bumps.

I keep hearing great things about the Bilstein coilover system. You could build a strong argument, with the labor involved in changing shocks.. why not go with a whole new system that perfectly matches springs and shocks. Steve at Rennsportsystems sells them and graciously shares his extensive information on various suspension options.

Rennsportsystems
Old 12-07-2001, 10:55 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by 993C4:
<STRONG>Does anyone know what is the normal life span of the original 993 shock absorbers (street driving - no track use)?

Are there any tell-tale signs when a shock is due for replacement?</STRONG>
At 70k miles, I took my 95 993 in to have Euro M030 springs installed on my M030 equiped car. My original plan was to only replace the rear shocks with Euro shock, but upon closer inspection of the front struts, we found one slightly leaking (forgot if it was L or R), so both struts were replaced. Aligment shop felt that 70k for struts was about right.
Hope this helps
Old 12-07-2001, 12:02 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Wink

I'm going to agree with Jim. Driven hard (no track), my stock shocks were noticeably soft and were replaced with RoW M030 at 10k miles. The 030 was replaced at 20k.

Most drivers will gradually become accustomed to the gradually softening shocks, and not notice for quite some time. As an instructor, I get into other guys 993's all the time at the track, and even as a passenger, by the 2nd turn, I'm usually saying to myself, "shocks are pretty worn out...".

If you're just cruising around on the street, it probably doesn't matter. But if you're driving hard...
Old 12-07-2001, 12:18 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>As an instructor, I get into other guys 993's all the time at the track, and even as a passenger, by the 2nd turn, I'm usually saying to myself, "shocks are pretty worn out..."</STRONG>
No way are you riding in my school bus shocked car DJ - Forget it!
Old 12-07-2001, 12:40 PM
esb97targa
Instructor

The previous owner had the car lowered with Eibach springs, but left the original green shocks on. I hear a loud clunk in the left rear of the car when going over a pothole, and it has stumped many a mechanic. My local P-car dealer said it sounds like it may be a bad shock absorber, but I have not noticed any leaks. Does anyone have a suggestion for a new set of shocks, keeping the same springs, I will do DE events but mostly street use.
TIA,
Evan
Old 12-07-2001, 01:46 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Evan,

I have the same dilemma as you. PO lowered the car with H&R springs and did not change the shocks (standard US). I have a bad right rear that makes a clunk and has the unsettled rear end as has been mentioned above. Our options seem to be as follows:

1. Replace both rear shocks (both because everyone I have talked to says if you change one you should change other on the same axle) with standard US shocks. This is the most economical solution but it will result in the same type of thing happening down the road a long with a “choppy” ride because the spring rates don’t match the shocks.

2. Replace current set up with ROW M030 set up. Results in factory lowered look with progressive springs that match the shocks, new sway bars, etc. The ride will be firm but not “choppy”. All parts can be bought from Gert for something like $1550. Could then sell your springs or you could get the M030 equipment without springs and use your current springs.

3. New coilover set up like the PSS-9's (there are other coilovers to choose from) on all four corners. Adds much flexibility with lowering and ride. Can be used with current sway bars, etc. or can be add adjustable sway bars. The PSS-9 and no sway bars cost something like $1850. Could then sell your springs.

4. Replace shocks (all 4) with after market ones that match your current springs. You would have to change all 4 because you don't want unmatched shocks on the front and rear of the car. I don’t know the cost on this because I am not really considering this option. If I decide to change all 4 I will either go with the ROW M030 set up or the PSS-9's.

Did I miss anything anyone? I haven’t decided what I am going to do yet.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:18 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi:

In my experience, the stock 993 shocks do not seem to last longer than 30-50K miles. After than, they are rather floppy and do not control the cars dynamics anymore. This applies to the firmer M030, as well.

These OEM shocks are made by either Monroe
(German) or Boge and are an OEM-spec shock.

High-quality aftermarket stuff like Bilstein's PSS-9 or their new OEM replacements, valved in HD, lasts far longer and in most cases carry a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser, if bought in the USA. H&R also does a good job of standing behind their products and their stuff will outlast any of the OEM offerings.

Installing a good set of coilover's will not have a negative impact on ride quality and will permit you to install a pair of larger adjustable swaybars to permit the tuning of understeer/oversteer balance to your skills and tastes.

Hoep this helps,
Old 12-07-2001, 02:58 PM
George Helser
Instructor

I have a 1997 C2 coupe with factory option M030 (USA) and the Porsche dealer installed
H&R stage 2 springs (lower & stiffer) at 0 miles.

At 30,000 miles, there is a little oil leakage at the top of the front shocks. Not enough to run down the shock, just visible when the car is lifted. The shocks still seem to be damping OK.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 12-07-2001, 03:46 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>

No way are you riding in my school bus shocked car DJ - Forget it! </STRONG>

I don't need to ride in your car, E.J. . . . I can see from here that your shocks are wore out.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:47 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by esb97targa:
<STRONG>My local P-car dealer said it sounds like it may be a bad shock absorber, but I have not noticed any leaks.</STRONG>
They don't have to be leaking at all to be considered worn, bad, or broken. It's what's inside that counts. If it's leaking, it's likely been wore out for a long time.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>

I don't need to ride in your car, E.J. . . . I can see from here that your shocks are wore out.
</STRONG>
DJ:

I've been trying to tell him that very same thing for a year!

Maybe he'll listen to you,....after all, what the hell do I know about these things?

Quick Reply: Life span of stock 993 shocks?