Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 03:14 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that both of these wings from Getty or MaShaw are probably polyester based resin in either c/f or glass. I am sure the heat from the engine isnt enough to deform polyester resin based tails, but polyester isnt very stable thermally. Also, c/f wont be that much lighter than glass given they are both the same thickness and resin system.

Desired would be C/F with epoxy based resin,(pre-preg even that much better) with nomex or aluminum 3/16" core in between three plies of fabric. This, of course, is costly, but can be done to yield a high quality, light and strong part.

The RS wing is one of the not too distant projects that I had planned, (along with others). If there is enough interest, say maybe ten or so RS tails, what would you think about a cored, epoxy based c/f RS tail?

I may be able to justify material costs for tooling, and move this item to the front. Given that I am swamped with some C-5 Vette c/f projects at the moment, let me give some thought to a realistic ETA and costs for RS tails.

I will give Mike Shaw a call to get some idea to what a group buy would cost. I will also ask about RS splitters while I have him on the phone...
Old 11-11-2004, 03:54 AM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by icerbofh
I want a GT2 wing...
Mine would be up for sale if this RS wing group buy proceeds.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:59 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KraZy007
Mine would be up for sale if this RS wing group buy proceeds.
You have a PM
Old 11-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Racer944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add to the list, I would also be interested in the RS front splitters along with the wing if that helps to get a better deal.

My main concern is confirming/making sure the quality of the product is appropriate to the level of our cars. Like most of you I'm sure, I really do not want to stick cheap stuff that will not last or look appropriate on my car. If that were the case, I would almost rather spring for the factory parts and take my $$ lumps or go without...

Cheers;
Eric
Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric,

I was just checking Gert's site... the fronts are $640, pricey but I could live with that.

I bought my fronts last year from MAShaw, high quality for fiberglass but I'd have been more satisfied with the factory... now I wish I had gone that direction.

The rear spoiler is another story, $2600 is too pricey for me. That's roughly 5X the aftermarket price, so that's why I'm looking at the aftermarket.

I'd love to hear if Chris W can do something before spring... I imagine working for a race team he has to be as attentive to detail as I do being an engineer designing jet engines. And that's the sort of product I want to buy. Of course the price has to be reasonable or I'll just do without.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Racer944
Racer

Hi Jeff;

Your right, Gerts price on the splitters is pretty good and I too would likely go with these factory parts "just because".

Out of curiousity though, what makes you say that you "would have been more satisfied" going with factory versus the MA shaw pieces you have? Problems? Looks? Just because?

I too agree about the price of the wing... very difficult to justify for that piece.

Cheers;
Eric
Old 11-11-2004, 01:55 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

OK, who could help me out by taking some rough measurements of the area for this RS tail? I need some really rough dimensions to calculate material costs, also tooing costs..
Old 11-11-2004, 02:24 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Racer944
Hi Jeff;

Your right, Gerts price on the splitters is pretty good and I too would likely go with these factory parts "just because".

Out of curiousity though, what makes you say that you "would have been more satisfied" going with factory versus the MA shaw pieces you have? Problems? Looks? Just because?

I too agree about the price of the wing... very difficult to justify for that piece.

Cheers;
Eric
I am also interested in the difference between MA Shaw and factory. On their web site, MA Shaw points out that the splitters are made from flex resin. Is this not the same material used for the factory pieces?
Old 11-11-2004, 02:35 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

When I bought my front RS splitters for Shaw, he recommended that I buy the Porsche part rather than the fiberglass repro. Those fronts take a beating, and fiberglass can crack. It seems that he now has an aftermarket resin based product. I don't know anything about it. I am very happy with the Porsche part I have. He also said that he recommended the fiberglass tail, to save money. It is not as susceptible to impacts. I would like to hear from someone who has had both. 993PET had them both, if I remember, but I'm not sure he is still on this page.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

I have the MAShaw RS tail. No real complaints and it was alot cheaper then the factory part. I did order the front spliters and side skirts from Gert. When the wing was painted some pin holes developed during the baking process.

Todd
Old 11-11-2004, 05:17 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I emailed Mike at MAShaw yesterday and he responded with what I consider some very good pricing on the RS Euro wing in fiberglass for a Rennlist GB.

Hope he doesn't mind... here is his email...

"Dear Kelly,
we can do a group buy deal for rennlist. Price is $450.00 for the 993 Euro
RS rear spoiler. Our 993 euro rs front spoilers is $285.00 a pair. John at
rennlist has them on his 993.
Michael"

I expect shipping will be added to that already great price.

Anyone else get any feedback from their sources, yet?
Old 11-11-2004, 05:21 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

good job Kelly. That is a good price.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:43 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

That is certainly within my range. I'd go for it. Perhaps they will send them to us individually, if we take care of consolidating the purchasers and cash flow.
Thanks kkim for taking the initiative
Old 11-11-2004, 06:45 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm still waiting to hear from my Getty contact.

Kelly, can you ask Mike how much the RS tail in C/F would be.

Tanks Brah
Old 11-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Jack Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm also interested in purchasing a set of high quality splitters and wing.

Quick Reply: RS wing quality