Long term parking options in/near NYC

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 10:27 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Long term parking options in/near NYC

Well, it is finally happening. I'm moving to NYC.

I'm not going to part with the 993, but I also don't want the parking monkeys to adopt an attitude of "it is just a little scratch" sort of approach. So I'm looking for other options. I don't plan on driving it often...not at all in the winter, and weekends during the summer, as I don't need a daily driver in Manhattan obviously.

So, anyone nearby have a garage space they want to lease out, or know of options in/around Manhattan?

Thanks,
Old 11-09-2004, 10:58 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I have space in my garage. Take a left on Rte 84 and go north for 3.5 hours.

Dave
Old 11-09-2004, 11:24 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Hoboken

There's a parking garage in Hoboken, NJ (right across the river). It's the second stop on the bus from the port authority bus terminal in NYC. A five minute trip and 2$. I dont know if they are full right now but when I parked there - they had a few nice cars in the building - and decent space between vehicles. It's right on park ave & 14th st in Hoboken - behind the hess station.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:28 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 530 Posts

Really depends where you live in Manhattan. I could recommend monthly parking at the Port Authority bus terminal. It's on 42nd street and the Lincoln tunnel so it's easy to get in and out of the city and you can park the car yourself. Security is very tight (because it's the bus terminal) and I wouldn't be worried about a break-in or theft (knock on wood). I would not trust ANY of the valet parking garages in the city - I had only bad experiences.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:40 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts
Default True

I've seen a few porsches at port authority - a few C4s models even. I also see a lot of door dings there because the parking is so close. I wonder of you can request a certain spot if you're a monthly customer?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:43 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Isnt there a guy named Jerry who lives in NYC who has a garage just for Porsches ? IIRC he is on Rennlist and may go under the alias of Jimbob something or other.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:08 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd opt for brooklyn... 8min. drive across the bridge & less if you take the train. there's a "nice" garage on montague st. (almost next door to '180 montague')... kept my 986 there for a while w/o any dings etc... nj is cool too... but not sure how 'safe' they are, as i've never parked there.

several places to park in manhattan, i also used a 'gmc' garage on w.3rd st. between macdougal & 6th ave. but expensive. www.gmcpark.com/downtowngarages/

bol on your search... btw: if you're moving to the city, you may want to look @ buildings w/ avail parking... will be much cheaper & convenient for you.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:42 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steve g
Isnt there a guy named Jerry who lives in NYC who has a garage just for Porsches ? IIRC he is on Rennlist and may go under the alias of Jimbob something or other.
Is that right??
Old 11-10-2004, 03:13 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by AZ Rich
... I saw an ad for $150/month near 134th street and Riverside Drive (Hudson Parkway). It is about 4 blocks from the 1 and 9 subway. Is this a safe area? I would probably drop it off on Sunday evenings, and take the subway back to Midtown.

don't think you'd wanna park anywhere above the 90's. (esp. a nice car).. also, fwiw... in nyc pickin' a garage & space will be a bit of a chore esp. if you're lookin for a deal & some garages will actually turn you down if you appear picky (kinda' like co-op apartments). had a girlfriend who drove a 740, she got the boot after making a claim against her garage (this even after parking there for 3 plus years).

also, if you can find 'nice' garage parking for less than $300-$400 per month... (imho) it's a deal/steal. just my ¢2. i was lucky, got my work to pay my monthy parking & i tipped the valet regularly to keep an eye out & leave me on an end spot.

p.s. --- cheaper/safer parking will be way downtown, battery park city -or- mid-town, like murray hill area--- i'd at least check those first... a lot of the garages are owned by city-wide co's, so they can quote you prices. bol

btw: unfortunately buildings w/parking offer parking on 'first come' basis... & a lot of buildings have a 'wait list'.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
I've seen a few porsches at port authority - a few C4s models even. I also see a lot of door dings there because the parking is so close. I wonder of you can request a certain spot if you're a monthly customer?
One of them must have been mine (no door dings BTW). Port Authority is $375 (my apartment building would be the same) and you need to get waitlisted for monthly reserved parking (6 mo - 1 year). I always enter the garage before 6:30 am or after 8:00 pm and you can pick a good safe (from door dings) spot - that's why I prefer this over a reserved spot. For daily commuters it tougher because the garage fills up by 7:30am and then it's usually closed for daily parkers (only monthlies allowed). I agree most of the spaces are tight.

I have never parked my Porsche in my building (upper East side in the 60s) but I have tried my "beater S4" and so far it's cost me $700 in repainting the rear bumpe twice in 1 year. Problem is that most (almost all) parking in the city is valet parking. Also forget about complaining about damage. As a monthly they simply terminate you for complaints. I would not park a nice car "north of the 100s".
Old 11-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i depends on cost
if you want to pay $400 you can have a nyc garage give you a 'predefined spot' and that is your spot and the valets do NOT have your key .. this will cost you more, but at least you can control who moves your car. Then put a car cover over the car when it is not used and you will not have any dents.
Next option, tip them better and have them put your car up on a lift when not in use .. same thing in that it will not be dented or dinged once it is up in the air
But, as you will not use the car all winter, you are probably better to find a place outside the city to leave it .. perhaps CT, NJ or westchester and then bring it back into the city in April.. this way you can save $300-400 month for free and pay a small fee to the 'country mouse' instead of a ny garage.

Perhaps call one of the porsche clubs in the regions outside nyc and ask them -- or ask one of the porsche shops that are also about 1 hour outside the city .. it should be ok to take a 1hour train ride in april to get your car.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:19 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

JPS,

I sent you a PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:20 PM
flatair
Racer

Some info for ya:

1) Price depends on where you live in the city. Upper east side is much more expensive than upper west side. Downtown varies, but good deals can be found if you park it near the water (i.e. west village all the way over). If you want indoor parking you're going to be paying $200+. I had a garage at 50th and 9th (good location) that was $250 a month *including* tax - beware when you look at garages, you have to add a HUGE 18.25%!

2) The 90's are fine nowadays, but if you go 100+ you have to be careful - parking in an indoor garage will be fine, but you have to be more "alert" when driving/walking in those neighborhoods. If you have a wife/girlfriend that will be driving and parking the car there, she won't want to do it at night.

3) Small garages are tons better. Best situation is live in a building with a decently priced garage. I live in a building at 60th and 9th with a fairly small garage, monthly rate for tenants is $300 with tax (not bad at all - plus you just run downstairs, hop in and go). The larger garages house commuter traffic and have lots of cars moving around all the time (big increase in chance of bumps) - you can have them park the car way in the back protected but it might take a while for them to dig it out. Annoying if you've gotta run.

4) Get to know the guys who work at the garage, be friendly, let them look at the car. I used to do minor work on my old 73, and the garage guys would be peering over my shoulder fascinated. Befriending the guys there, and adding a nice little tip here and there will get you a long ways. The 50th and 9th garage I belonged to was a huge garage with commuter traffic, but the guys there let me park my own car, and I found a couple of single spots protected by concrete support columns on the corner - a little extra and they'd move whatever was parked there and let me slip in. Depends on the garage and guys that work there, but many of them will be more than willing to hook you up if you hook them up.

That's all I can think of, oh wait - welcome to NYC! Drop me a line if you want to go out for beers
Old 11-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

I parked in a lot on 23rd and 2nd when I lived there. Large lot, huge waits, dings, nightmare. And that was a Cherokee. Before that, I parked in Jersey, which was OK after you get past the initial hassle, but I'd look for something that doesn't impede spur-of-the-moment rides too much (Hoboken, Brooklyn, Jersey City etc). There was a great Daily News expose on parking in NY: there's a lot @ 60th and 5th Ave that is more than ~$1,100/month -- and this was a few years ago! It may have been embellished, but they had anecdotes of folks going to Bergdorf Goodman and paying ~$60 for an hour.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:36 PM
1996 Carrera4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by AZ Rich
2. I saw an ad for $150/month near 134th street and Riverside Drive (Hudson Parkway). It is about 4 blocks from the 1 and 9 subway. Is this a safe area? I would probably drop it off on Sunday evenings, and take the subway back to Midtown.

In a word. HARLEM. I'd be nervous driving that far north, let alone parking there. There's a reason most maps of Manhattan don't even show as far north as 125th street. Waiting for a nice, safe and affordable monthly parking space in Manhattan is like looking for a very nice rent control doorman appartment on the upper east side. But, you never know. You may get lucky.

Good luck,
Matt

Quick Reply: Long term parking options in/near NYC