Sponsored by:

Long term parking options in/near NYC

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 06:34 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I moved to Manhattan and lived there years ago I brought the newer BMW I had at the time. I found the garages on the east side enjoyed driving my car too much in their lots. I later moved to the Port Authority building lot. I later checked the Westchester and CT papers and rented a garage near one of the Metro North stations. That worked well, but later found out I was not driving the car, and it was not that important to me anymore. Sold the car, and when needed a car (about once a month) would rent one. When I moved out of Manhattan, I saved enough money to buy a 911.

There are many fine cars obviously garaged in Manhattan. I guess if I got adjusted to a few scratches here and there, it would be fine if I drove the car enough. As we know, we owners are the first to see our dings and scratches, and 95% of the other population never notice it.

Lived on both coasts, and enjoyed both places.. I am sure you will enjoy Manhattan too. PM with questions. Good luck with the move.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:42 PM
mdr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I lived in NYC years ago, you will soon discover that you are better off without a car because the nicer the car you have, the more you will get worried. Bumper to bumper parking was quite common, and you just can't complain if someone does that to you since that's how it was in the city. Otherwise, I will move to Westchester or other nice counties, buy/rent a house/townhouse and keep the car there, and commute to NYC, and enjoy the car on the beautiful countryside.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:16 PM
flatair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a car in NYC is definitely a liability, no doubt. You don't NEED it, it's very expensive, roads suck for stiff suspensions, NYC cabs are maniacs, etc etc. But it absolutely can be done. Personally the great reason to have a car in NYC is *escape*, never park it on the street anywhere unless you're staying with the car and won't be there very long. You never know what will happen to your car - a couple of months ago i walked by a bum peeing on the door handle of a car. Nuff said. Thus if you're going to have a car in NYC to escape NYC, better to make the garage close and convenient. PM or email me at innovationis@hotmail.com if you'd like more info, I can help you find a good safe spot for your car if you decide to bring it.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:50 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks so much for all your help. For the winter anyway, I found a private garage (well, 1/2 of one) in Forest Hills (very nice neighborhood), a few minutes walk from the express E train from Manhattan. We'll have to reassess during the summer, but for winter storage, this should be great.

Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Forest Hills. I have an apartment right there! 1/2 block away from the E/F train. I'd volunteer to give her a little exercise from time to time if you'd like.

Quick Reply: Long term parking options in/near NYC