Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver height - comfort

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 03:39 PM
JDP993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 6'7" and have the seats in the stock location. It is OK for shorter drives but a bit cramped on longer trips. It doesn't look like you can get the stock seats to go all the way back so they would touch the back seat, the seat is too wide. My plan is to go to the GT3 seats with modified Brey Krause brackets so the seats would be as low and as far back as is possible. I think this would give me plenty of leg room.

JP
Old 11-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

You know, there is always something to learn here on Rennlist. I have been around from what seems like the begining and this is the first I have heard about the extra holes in the seat.

I am only 6 ft but sit a little splay legged and would like a little extra room. Plus I would not have to move the seat all the way back and run it up against the stops which causes the drive gears to bind. Then I have to "go nuts" on the seat to free it (see stuck seat posts that come up every month or so).

Sounds like a good project to dink around with this weekend. I would like more headroom too...any ideas for full electric seats?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:22 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

There is a good description on moving the seats on the 964 list-you'll have to search for it though. Also in Adrian Streeter's 964 book.

Al
Old 11-05-2004, 05:46 PM
JDP993
Intermediate

Upon closer inspection the previous owner of my car must have had the seat moved back as the front most hole in the seat track is in the rear most hole in the floor pan seat mount. I guess that's why it has been tolerable all these years. The inboard side of the seat is also hard up against the transmission tunnel so I think that is it for the stock seat in terms of reward travel. For reference the front seat bottom cushion is 5 inches from the sheet metal below the rear seat so there is definitely some room to work with still.

The non reclinning seats (GT3 and others) are a little narrower in the back because they don't the reclinning mechanism. Whether they are narrow enough to accomplish what I want remains to be seen. Any comments or recommendations from people who have tried this would be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:03 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam and seem to fit just fine in my car. It is a cabriolet though which seems to have a tiny bit more headroom. The only complaint I might have is that my size 12 feet are probably bigger than Porsche designed the pedal area for. I've never looked at the seat rail to see if its been moved back (from previous owner) but I'm a happy camper.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:21 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I am 6'3"/31 inseam and when I had my 993 with the seats in the rear position I was fine.

But the purpose for my post is to warn each and every one of you that if you are going to remove your seats for any reason, get a set of allen wrench sockets. You WILL STRIP the soft allen bolt heads if you try to use a standard allen wrench. Trust me and ALL the other old timers here who have learned this the hard way.

Oh, and don't strip the nuts in the floor either as that is also a big problem. Make damn sure you dno't have the bolt cross threaded. Don't ask me how I know.

Good luck,

E. J.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

One of the (many) reasons I wanted my Targa is because of the head-room. I am just over 6' tall and have at least a few inches above my head. I can wear my track helmet with the roof closed and not hit the roof...unlike my old 83 coupe or my friends 964. ;-)

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Driver height - comfort