Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reminder notice: Wash DC/Baltimore area Meet & Drive 11/7, Sunday 10am in Rockville

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 08:32 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 878 Likes on 442 Posts
Default Reminder notice: Wash DC/Baltimore area Meet & Drive 11/7, Sunday 10am in Rockville

Just a reminder notice as this thread got buried beneath... It's finally here! The next Rennlist Washington DC Metro area "Fall Meet and Drive" will be occur on Nov 7th, Sunday, at 10am in front of the Starbucks at the corner of Old Georgetown Rd and Rockville Pike in Rockville, MD. We'll meet there from 10am to about 11:15-11:30, then drive to Cherner Classics in Potomac
http://www.cherner.com/classiccars/index.html
to check out their ever changing selection of classic muscle cars, used Porsches (they have 3 993's for sale there), and the occasional exotic.

No affiliation, just a fun place to look around + they're closed on Sundays so no salemen to deal with.

After spending 20 minutes or so there, we'll head down River Rd to I-495, hop on the beltway towards Virginia for a couple of minutes and get off on the first Virginia exit - Georgetown Pike (Rt 193) heading towards Great Falls, Virginia. Now we'll be on wonderfully twisty roads that lead to our lunch spot in about 5 miles, "Great Falls Tavern". ( 703 ) 757 - 4770 at 9835 GEORGETOWN PIKE, GREAT FALLS,VA.

Friends of mine that live in Great Falls highly recommend this 2 year old restaurant. They serve up delicious and reasonably priced food to the locals, with a Sunday lunch buffet that's only $14.95 p/p . This includes coffee, a glass of champagne, orange juice, eggs benedict, salmon, prime rib, omelettes, vegetables, fruit salad, etc, OR you could just order an ala carte item off the regular lunch menu.

So, you could show up just for the "Meet" part, or do the drive and not eat, or do the whole thing! Please do let me know if you care to eat at the restaurant (unless you already have), so I can let them know approximately how many will be dining. Right now I have a reservation set up for 20 people between 12:30 and 1pm. Email me at stever500@comcast.net to RSVP for that part, or just post a response on this thread.

Look forward to meeting some new folks as well as seeing those of you I've met before.

Regards,
Steve R
Old 10-31-2004, 09:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Have fun, guys! Wish I could be a part of it.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:09 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this the Starbucks in the Wildwood Center?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have fun! I'm really going to make one of these. My Pharmacist (partner) is heading out to the Eagles-Steelers game (Go Birds) and I told him I would cover for him. I'll keep watching for another run.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:44 PM
peterf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve,
I am sorry to say that I am going to miss this one - I will be out of town. Hope you guys have a great time. Let's have another one soon.
Peter
Old 11-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

No Mark, not the Wildwood Center... It's the Starbucks at Mid Pike Plaza right in the parking lot in front of Bally's Gym. Do you know where that is? It's RIGHT on the corner of Rockville Pike 355 and Old Georgetown Rd.

Hope to see you there!

Steve
Old 11-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Oh here is the thread! I must be blind when i run down the main list! Sunday...autocross is that day too! ... I think i might come to this instead!
Old 11-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Sounds great, Tony. It wouldn't be a local Meet and Drive without you.

As bad luck would have it, I was pulling my car into the garage tonight talking on my cell phone trying to make a sale and I rubbed the whole rear passenger side of the car that sits above the rear wheel against the darn garage door. Arghhhhhhh! This is one of those times I wish I DIDN'T have a widebody!!!

Oh well - what can ya do. I'm bringing it to Europros in the morning to see if they can repaint it by Sunday. If not, I'll just bring it as is, damaged and not looking so great. It scraped down to bare metal along the whole wheel arch - whatever that thing is called. F*** me.

Steve
Old 11-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Steve,

That blows the big one. I'm sorry to hear of the damage.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:57 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Steve,
Big Time Bummer!! I live in Great Falls and will meet you all there at GF Tavern at 12:30. Count me in for one for lunch.

George B.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah ive decided! Im coming to the drive! Ide rather spend a fun afternoon with friends than wake up at 5:30am for 4 autocross runs, as much fun as it is!

So count me in for the whole thing, and lunch as well.

I am sooo sorry to hear that Steve! Bring it anyways, we wont say anything! I know we have ALL had moments like that! I did something similar with the GTI one night. It was like 2am and i had to drive someone home. My car was parked outside and i was kinda tired so somehow i forgot the trash cans were on the street for monday collection. I dont know how i forgot that they were all lined up behind my car. One of those 2am things i guess! HAHA, i hit reverse and knocked those suckers like 5 feet! I felt SOOOOOOOO stupid! Luckily i only got minor scratches on the underside of my bumper, which buffed out decently. Its black metallic paint too. It could have been much worse! Gotta love plastic panels that dont really dent too!

See everyone Sunday!
Old 11-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks George, Tony and Mark...

George, I'll see you around 1230pm then at the tavern!
Tony - I'll see you at the Meet around 10am, blemishes be damned.

By the way, does this (directions below) look like a good route to the restaurant from Cherner Automotive, or is a less complicated, straight shot there on Rt 193 from the 495 Beltway a better, easier bet?

From Starbucks in Rockville to Cherner Classics: Cool cars to check out…

Leave the parking lot of Mid Pike Plaza by turning RIGHT onto
ROCKVILLE PIKE/MD-355 S toward MD-187/OLD GEORGETOWN RD. go 1/10 mile and
Turn RIGHT onto MD-187 S/OLD GEORGETOWN RD., go 1.9 miles and
Turn RIGHT onto DEMOCRACY BLVD. go 4.3 miles and
Turn LEFT onto FALLS RD/MD-189. go .6 miles and
End at 9916 Falls Rd Potomac MD – “Cherner Classics” and park at the lot across the street.

To the Restaurant (Great Falls Tavern) from Cherner Classics: Brunch $14.95 p/p

Turn RIGHT (south) out of Cherner's and follow Falls Rd for ~2 to 3 miles to T at Macarthur Blvd.
Turn LEFT on Macarthur (follow for ~2 miles).
Bear RIGHT onto Clara Barton Pkwy.
Stay in the left lane.
Bear LEFT and follow signs to 495/Virginia.
As you cross the American Legion Bridge, stay in the right lane as it is the exit for 193/Georgetown Pike.
After exit from 495, stay left to go towards 193.
Then move to the right to turn west on 193.
1/4 mile past the light at Old Dominion/Great Falls Park, turn RIGHT on River Bend Rd.
Follow RB Rd. to stop sign (~2 or 3 miles of twisties and blind crests), continue going straight.
At sharp 90 degree left, the road's name changes to Beach Mill, continue on Beach Mill (a couple of fun woopdeedoos followed by nice twisties).
At T with Walker Road, turn RIGHT.
At T with Springvale Road, turn RIGHT.
After 1 lane bridge and couple of twisties, turn LEFT onto Utterback Store Rd.
Follow back to stoplight at 193/Georgetown Pike.
Turn LEFT onto 193.
Putt-putt back to Great Falls village.
Great Falls Tavern will be on the RIGHT just past the Shell station after the light at Walker Rd.
"Great Falls Tavern". ( 703 ) 757 - 4770 at 9835 GEORGETOWN PIKE, GREAT FALLS,VA.

Steve

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 11-03-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:06 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Do the Old Georgetown road.... if there is not much traffic, it is a nice drive. Come one, come all!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:18 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have a great run...Sorry I will miss this one. Out of town on business-Again (:
Very sorry to hear about your adventure but I'm sure EuroPro will take care of it
Enjoy the run.....
Old 11-04-2004, 01:08 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Hey Bobby - You'll be missed - maybe next year!

I took my car to Euro Pro's this morning and they said it actually doesn't need to be repainted as it didn't go down to bare metal!? They said they'd order the stone guard decal ($98!) that goes over the rear wheel arch as it got all roughed up when I drove it up against the garage door yesterday

- doh! I thought the car would need to be repainted but they claimed that they could buff/polish it out in an hour or so, and just reapply the new stoneguard decal after taking off the old one. I'll be happy if that's true. I bring it back in Friday morning to have the work done. I decided to spend the $20 to have the stoneguard decal overnighted as opposed to waiting a week or so for it. I hate when the car doesn't look just right, plus, I wanted it fixed in time for the Meet and Drive this weekend. Vanity sucks!

Peace,
Steve

Quick Reply: Reminder notice: Wash DC/Baltimore area Meet & Drive 11/7, Sunday 10am in Rockville