Andretti Driving Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 06:50 PM
FastMaz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Andretti Driving Experience

Follow Me…

“Follow me six car lengths behind and offset half a car on the inside so I can see you in my mirror” stated my driving instructor. With those basic directions I was ready to start my adventure at the Mario Andretti driving school at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. I was enrolled in an advanced class with a potential top speed of 170 mph, student skill and track conditions pending.

Opened in 1996, the Las Vegas Motor Speedway is a 1.5 mile, 4 turn track with 120 banking. It hosts NASCAR, IRL and CART, several driving schools and numerous local club events. There is also a drag strip, a 3/8 mile short track and dirt track. The infield garages are air conditioned.

There were about 12 participants in my group; all were high rollers on a complimentary package from Caesar’s Hotel but me. A mixed group, but excited as anyone. I was signed up for the 4 sessions while they were on the 2 session package; this cooled their arrogance.

The cars are modified Indy racecars with 350 ci Chevrolet short block engines producing 600 hp and single speed transmissions. We were pushed down pit row and popped the clutch to start the engine. Oh Lord, please don’t let me stall!

Suited up in Nomex and strapped in, I was ready to go. My instructor passed me on the right, as I was pushed by a four wheeler. Easing off the clutch and on the gas, the engine roared to life and I was off. Steering was quick and precise. The first session of 6 laps, I topped out at 151 mph. This was followed by one session of 8 laps and 2 of 10 laps each. My maximum speed was 166 mph.

As I got comfortable with the car and the track, I tucked in closer to my instructor. I was actually hoping to push him to go faster! We passed several slower students and their instructors. The car really seemed to settle down and stick to the track at about 150 mph. With the throttle almost buried for each lap, the steering was quick and precise requiring only small input. As I write this two days after the experience, my shoulders are still stiff.

BettyLou, my new and charming bride, took an unexpected ride in a two seater. I must confess that she probably went faster that me….just have to go back and do it again!
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2004, 09:36 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I did the same type of driving experience at California Speedway. See my report at: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/117453-fastest-28-miles-i-ve-ever-driven.html

It was really fun, although my best average speed was 158.68mph (something like that)..

Thanks for the race report
Old 10-28-2004, 10:36 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a load of fun. It is amazing the experiences available today. You can drive a race car, fly a MIG fighter do the weightless dive in a jet. Soon, the average citizen will be able to travel to outer space.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:13 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmblu
Soon, the average citizen will be able to travel to outer space.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Enjoyed the write up Maz. Did your bride hit more apexes than you?
(And congratulations on the new significant other)
Old 10-29-2004, 12:53 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the NASCAR Driving experience at Atlanta Motor speedway in August--18 Laps....It was incredible--I got up to 149MPH and could have gone a bit faster--it's amazing how much torque those cars have...if you enjoyed that, I HIGHLY recommend the Porsche Driving Experience at Barber Motorsports park in Birmingham--it is a very different experience, but boy does it make you respect what a totally stock Porsche can do [despite the fact that they are liquid-cooled ] As I write, the 997s should be there now.

Quick Reply: Andretti Driving Experience