Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 12:39 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
Talking Fastest 28 miles I've ever driven...

Today was a blast to say the least. Spent about three hours at California Speedway in Fontana driving an open wheel car with the Driving 101 driving school. Well one cant really call it a school, more of an experience really.

This was my Christmas present from my lovely wife that understands my automotive sickness (that I think we all have here at Rennlist).

She got my the Driving 200 program which included a photo-op with the car, certificate of completion, lap time printout etc. This included 14 laps around this two-mile oval.

I have driven the 993 around half of the oval and the infield road coarse last year at the California Festival of Speed. So I had an idea of what banked turns are about.

The Driving 101 cars are tractors from what I am accustomed to working on and being involved with. But, the cars are used exactly what they were built for (and cost much less which enables this type of business to survive). They have small block Chevy's in them with over 650hp. Manual single speed trans, an in-and-out box really. Like what Sprint Cars use.

Much to my surprise, they have slicks, big firestone, Champ car slicks! This coupled with the huge amount of downforce makes for a really safe and stable car for idiots like me to drive

They push start you and you always follow an instructor about 6-8 car lengths behind. The instructor sets the pace based on how you apear to be doing. The max average speed is 155mph(the cars will go 185 mph average at Fontana according to the instructors). If you stay with the instructor, and push him so to speak, they realize you are ready to pick up the pace.

The first session is 6 laps, which felt like 3. They bring you in, ask you how you are doing etc. and provide any tips if needed. Send you back out for 8 higher speed laps, increasing the pace little by little as you progress.

Its amazing how heavy the steering is, feeling every little seam in the pavement. The front tires are right in your face with the feeling like your feet are hanging out there in front of the car. I kept trying to sit-up as I am used to a more upright driving position.

The car has a typical oval set-up with positive camber on the left side, toe out at the left rear. This helps the car turn on banked ovals. Very little steering input is required, only lots of fore-arm strength. A reminder to myself while driving helped as I told myself DONT DEATH GRIP THE WHEEL. I didnt want the typical arm-pump. I also had to keep telling myself 'trust the tires and downforce', 'trust the tires and downforce'. I dont know what lateral G's I was experiencing, but probably the most I have ever felt as I was pressed against the right side of the tub in the corners, despite being ratchet-strapped down by the friendly guy who buckled me in

All in all, a very well run program. I got a lot of enjoyment watching others exit the car with a HUGE grin on their faces, including yours truly
Definitely worth the price of admission.

I need to edit some video my wife took, but here is a picture of the car I drove. Derrick Walker would be proud, Blue #5

At the drivers meeting, they talked about all the rules, do's and donts etc. One funny 'tip', was DONT PASS THE INSTRUCTOR...it makes a very short day for you...duly noted.

My fastest laps were over the allowed 155 mph. I had three over 158mph average at 6780 rpm. As a HWFM team member, I appologize!!

BTW, Since I used my gear, I had a Porsche crest decal on the side of the helmet, a few others asked what car I had. I of coarse had to talk about Rennlist, PCA, POC etc. Just gettin' the message out!!
Attached Images  

Last edited by chris walrod; 07-16-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:45 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris,

That looks like too much fun to be legal. Great write-up. Can you give a rough idea of the cost. Just what I need right now... another money sink.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:53 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea Chris great write up!! SO whats it cost??
thanks again Chris!
Old 02-29-2004, 12:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Cost?

My wife wont tell me, but she got a special package deal with the Driving 200 option. They offer a 100, 200 and 300.

She hinted it was around $650...

Break it down to $46/lap to your wife or s/o (or both) it may be an easier sale....hehehehe
Old 02-29-2004, 12:59 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Here is a link to their site:

http://driving101.com/

Boy your wives are gonna hate me....

Last edited by chris walrod; 07-16-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:37 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

You know this already but I'm gonna say it anyway. You have a nice wife.

Great write up Chris. And what a great day. Awesome looking car. 650hp. That sounds like fun!

chuck
Old 02-29-2004, 01:42 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
Cool! Now you have to hint for this next:

GP1 - F1 Drive

Kim, that linky no worky, but PLEASE dont fix it... I dont even want to see it, if you know what I mean....
Old 02-29-2004, 01:45 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally posted by csertich
Chris,

You know this already but I'm gonna say it anyway. You have a nice wife.

Great write up Chris. And what a great day. Awesome looking car. 650hp. That sounds like fun!

chuck
Chuck, thanks for the compliment. Yes my wife is very special
Old 02-29-2004, 03:53 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Very cool, and expensive

Does it count if I have driven a rental car on a few F-1 circuits as recent as last year

Montreal was really narrow, even in a rental car, errr my Pontiac Grand Prix in Avis livery That track looks much wider and open on TV..
Old 02-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up, thanks! Amazing the cars can do that with a single gear. I never knew the standard setup for ovals, it must feel really odd trying to go in a straight line w. that configuration - especially with a cross-wind.

$650 -- well, let's see: that's about one set of tires for the SRF, maybe I can part with that...
Old 02-29-2004, 10:33 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up Chris - sounds like lots of fun.

My guess is that you were right around 2 g's at that speed. If 220-230 mph is 4 g's then you were right around 2. That is a pretty intense load the first few times you feel it, especially for the sustained time on the banking.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the write-up, Chris! The cars look like a blast to drive, especially with that power-to-weight ratio. Who makes the chassis?

I've actually been poking around the Skip Barber and Jim Russell websites, giving some semi-serious thought to a three day course. Track driving is such a drug...

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 02-29-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:49 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Chris

I too enjoyed your write-up, even tho it jeopardizes your good-standing in HWFMR.

You (and Mark) would really enjoy the Skippy cars.
The school cars are still manuals, but once you do the 3-day, you drive the sequential box. That is an absolutely ball. Clutch? I don't need no stinking clutch. (but then you know all about them)
Old 02-29-2004, 11:56 AM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

Chris,
Sounded like a blast.

At the drivers meeting, they talked about all the rules, do's and donts etc. One funny 'tip', was DONT PASS THE INSTRUCTOR...it makes a very short day for you...duly noted.
I did the Richard Petty driving experience in Las Vegas and one guy did pass the instructor. He got black flagged and blacklisted. He was some ego maniac that was bragging that he drove race cars and the instructor was not going fast enough.

It is amazing how those cars stick to the pavement around those turns.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:42 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by tsjoel
I did the Richard Petty driving experience in Las Vegas and one guy did pass the instructor. He got black flagged and blacklisted.
Man, some people have no sense of humor! I mean, 'don't pass the instructor'. What do they expect -- that's like waving a red flag at a bull.

Hope they don't read Rennlist...

Quick Reply: Fastest 28 miles I've ever driven...