Sponsored by:

Willow International vs. Streets of Willow This November

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Streeyts of Willow

I met Slapshot, DJ, John and lots of other Rennlisters at Streets of Willow. It is great getting to meet fellow Porsche lovers, who want to drive their cars to their personal potential, and learn in the process. Few of us will ever learn to drive to the potential of the car, unless you happen to be Cort Wagner, etc. You may add your name if you feel you are an exception..

Anothe big bonus for me, I had the opportunity to run with a REAL 993RS with the 993RS CS aero package. The driver bought it in Europe and imported it to meet DOT and EPA standards. We got to battle it out for a few sessions. My car and I held up pretty well. I got around him the first session (I sort of think this may have been a courtesy pass) and I pretty well stayed with him on the second session. He had a bout $80,000 in the car. If I look at what I paid for my car 5 years ago $60,000, and what I have in it...well let's just say I could have been driving a 993RS!

Here is the rub...for $80,000, you can also buy a 993TT, so many choices, too few $s.

I digress as usual...bottom line the Porsch Owners Club Streets of Willow Events are great fun, and safe too. I have a bias as the Membership Chairman...but I maust say, no member has ever asked me for their POC membership money back!
Old 11-08-2004, 04:35 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martin, come out with PCA this weekend, same place as POC except we will use the back bowl area ;-)
Old 11-08-2004, 04:48 PM
David '96 993
Pro

This weekend at SOW looked to be the usual fun track weekend, but at the drivers meeting I got a bit of a surprise. I see in the stands a guy from high school (22 years ago) that I have not seen at any POC events before....

Low and behold, it is Christian "aka: Slapshot".

Christian, it was great seeing you again after so many years. It was a blast seeing your reaction after your first session. Chris Wiles is a terrific instructor and said that you were the perfect student. You listened, did what he said and didn't try to drive over your head. He said he wished every student could be like you...honestly.

Great weekend, great weather, great seeing all of the Rennlisters and meeting some new ones. Alan, couldn't miss your beautiful car and thank you for your offer. DJ, great seeing you again after so long. DJ gave me my first "real ride" in his 993 at Buttonwillow about 4 years ago (before I had mine). Craig, good meeting you and I hope you enjoyed the harness bar. Martin instructed me about 3 years ago when I had first gotten my 993....

Rennlist is a great resource and I have alot to thank for it...except my checking account
Old 11-08-2004, 04:55 PM
mleds
Racer

I now have more respect for my machine, the skill of other drivers, finding the correct line.... and a whole lot more. Amazing time there, pics to follow later on. This site is awesome, although I have found myself concerned about upgrades on a car that far exceeds my driving level already. I already called POC to see about the next event. Great time, thanks guys.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:49 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

David, yes, it was great to hook up. The world is so big and then, in the snap of a finger, the boundaries really don't stretch too far at all. Great to see you really racing. You looked fast and smooth out there. We'll definitely talk more over coffee before the next sessions in 05.

Michael, nice meeting you and your Mom. For me, you nailed the thought of the day: "I have found myself concerned about upgrades on a car that far exceeds my driving level already."

Be well all.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:06 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mleds
I now have more respect for my machine, the skill of other drivers, finding the correct line....
Michael, I take it POC did not require a roll bar for your cab?
Old 11-09-2004, 01:07 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Christian, sounds like you had a lot of fun. I'll have to take you up on your offer one day soon.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:28 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Alan, no pics? Wish I could have been there!
Old 11-09-2004, 03:29 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fred,
Check out John's thread

pix here
Old 11-09-2004, 11:16 AM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hello FO3. No rollbars required for the novice stuff. And can't wait to have you join us. Fred, you would have absolutely been in heaven and no doubt leading the way. Next time hopefully.

'blu is back! Right on!

Quick Reply: Willow International vs. Streets of Willow This November