Sponsored by:

Ruf BTR conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 07:12 PM
maz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ruf BTR conversion

has anyone had any problems with their conversion and if so who is capable of working on them also can you get the 490 hp kit as opposed to the 420hp on a 993 lastly how much does it cost including flying their poeple to do the work thanks in advance for your responses
Old 08-17-2001, 09:31 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Question

Also, very interested in this, with specific questions:

(1) Use converted car is put to e.g. garage queen through dedicated track car
(2) Number of miles on conversion
(3) Any major problems
(4) Conversion done in USA with Ruf techs ? or local techs ?
(5) Cost of conversion
(6) What was included in cost e.g. suspension upgrades, wheels, brakes etc. or just engine conversion
(7) Overall impressions

Can't be that many out there ....... but it would be great if anyone responded.

TIA
Old 08-18-2001, 12:57 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chris,

Why would anyone need that much HP?
Old 08-18-2001, 04:31 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

I looked into this several months back and contacted Stefania Corporation ( http://www.rufautomobile.com/ ) regarding pricing. I have a 1995 C4 Cab. They told me the BTR conversion can be done to my car. At today's exchange rate the parts and labor done at a shop of my choice is $26,500. Air fare (appx $600) for the tech and 5 days lodging is extra. I opted not to do this and bought a second Porsche, a 930, to satisfy my power cravings.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:31 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
You mentioned that RUF has upped the power from 420HP 993BTR to a 490HP package for the 993s. That is serious smoke......what does the package consist of OVER the 420HP BTR. FYI 490HP is with the special catalytic converters too------which means---make up catbypass pipes and you are into the 510+range and baby you have a streetlegal GT2 for not alot of money. Then if you add 2003 GT2 ceramic brakes youll have a lightweight land based interceptor missile from street and track and harrass George and the Vipers!
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 08-20-2001, 01:35 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
I am not certain cat bypass pipes will liberate an extra 20hp, the special 100cell units that Ruf use are pretty efficient and are tuned to the boost charactaristics the Ruf software allows, to get the benefit of cat bypasses, the software would need to be accurately calibrated on a static dyno. Incidentally, true to form Ruf's 490hp can be treated with skeptisism, I have seen a 993turbo R dynoed - it gave 540hp !!
Old 08-20-2001, 02:15 PM
D.G..
Instructor

Bill,

Did that $26,500 cover just the engine upgrade or did it include the accompanying list of 'required' upgrades?

Dave
Old 08-20-2001, 06:04 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 993 RS Clubsport:
<STRONG>You mentioned that RUF has upped the power from 420HP 993BTR to a 490HP package for the 993s. That is serious smoke......what does the package consist of OVER the 420HP BTR.</STRONG>
The "BTR" (single turbocharger) is still rated at 420 DIN HP. It is the "Turbo R" (two turbochargers) which is rated at 490 DIN HP standard.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:42 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Dave - I believe that was just the engine work. There would be some body work required and they did not say if the new tail parts and other cosmetics were included in the price (I would assume they must be). I asked them to send me a list of references and a brochure but they never responded. Too bad - as I was really interested, but my wife persuaded me to leave the 993 alone and "allowed" me to buy a 1986 930 to play with instead. I love the 80s Carerras, so maybe it was all for the best. It would have been cheaper to do the RUF upgrade though.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:32 PM
tc
Intermediate

Interesting Zcat.... I also inquired about some Ruf parts from Stefania but recieved no reply. I was just looking for little items like footpedals and/or wheels. Many weeks later without any response I found that Weissach was happy to comply. (Weissach.com, I think. They advertise in Excelence if it's wrong.)
Old 08-20-2001, 11:33 PM
leslie
Instructor

For what it is worth, my friend had a Ruf BTR here for about 3 years. It came equipped with the EKS system (Similar to the F1 paddle shift but with a regular stick and no clutch and a LOT more agricultural). When he first got it, we took the car for a couple of rides, scared ourselves witless and he eventually sold it with less than 5,000 miles on it.
The combination of a large single turbo and really soft springs made the car feel like a speedboat with a rocket engine strapped on......not too subtle and a real complete B_TCH to drive.(When the boost came on, the horizon would literally shift upwards!)
On hindsight, if the car had uprated springs and a twin turbo upgrade, I think it would have been a much better machine. Would tend to agree with TB993tt that the HP seems a little understated. Certainly, the seat of pants feel of the car was VERY different from that of a regular 993tt but I think the way the power was delivered by the single turbo had something to do with it.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:01 AM
Carmen
Advanced

For what it's worth, I've been to their shop (Stefania Corp), not for any engine work, just for a state inspection.
Shop is small, tidy though, only a handful of mechanics. I met stephania.. very nice lady.
You also may want to try ProtoSport in Pompton Plains, NJ. I had them do a little work for me, suspension, tires, exhaust work (like Robin does). They specialize in turbo work.. They have a nice large shop. Many of the cars there are from out of state.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:35 AM
Pete911air
Instructor

Originally posted by 993 RS Clubsport:
<STRONG>You mentioned that RUF has upped the power from 420HP 993BTR to a 490HP package for the 993s. That is serious smoke......what does the package consist of OVER the 420HP BTR. FYI 490HP is with the special catalytic converters too------which means---make up catbypass pipes and you are into the 510+range and baby you have a streetlegal GT2 for not alot of money. Then if you add 2003 GT2 ceramic brakes youll have a lightweight land based interceptor missile from street and track and harrass George and the Vipers!</STRONG>
Joe,
Keep dreaming.No 993 Ruf conversion will ever beat Gorge.It would take something like Konrads Turbo and a 20 mile stretch of straight Road to beat George.

Pete.

Old 08-28-2001, 10:29 AM
Gregg Willhoit
Track Day

Hi, I've tried to answer your questions below. Feel free to contact me or use the
board to continue the discussion.

Regards,
Gregg

(1) Use converted car is put to e.g. garage queen through dedicated track car
Daily use, mostly for fun. Try to take as many weekend trips to the Hill country
(I'm from Texas), as I can.

(2) Number of miles on conversion
(3) Any major problems
0 major or minor
(4) Conversion done in USA with Ruf techs ? or local techs ?
RUF techs did engine here in Houston. Local techs did suspension (RUF),
brakes (Porsche RED), wheels (Fikse), short shift kit (RUF), pedals (RUF),
body strengthening, Quaife LSD.
(5) Cost of conversion
Not sure, but around 45k including the aforementioned items

(6) What was included in cost e.g. suspension upgrades, wheels, brakes etc. or just engine conversion
see previous answer
(7) Overall impressions
Awesome performance, docile when not pushed. Suspension is a must, firm yet comfortable, stable
at high speeds (I've haven't pushed it, but I've gone 185). See the Dyno's pre/post conversion, you
can draw your own conclusions. Viking from Dealership Alternative (713-705-7714) managed/peformed
the work here. He is an excellent source of information, and the best Porsche technician I've ever
known.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/gwillhoit...r=/RUF&.view=t

Can't be that many out there ....... but it would be great if anyone responded.
TIA
you're welcome. If you've any more questions, gwillhoit@houston.rr.com.

Gregg
Old 08-28-2001, 11:43 AM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Pete @ Andial thats for the complement. But keep that our little secret I was hoping to make some money out of these guys. All joking aside you are 100% right Pete it would take Konrad's twin turbo and maybe 30 miles of road just to keep up. Pete there has been some talk down here in New Orleans that you are building (mister X) a twin turbo on kill what is the skinny on that? You know word travels fast in our little porsche community here in the swamps.

SWAMP MONSTER

Quick Reply: Ruf BTR conversion