Need some opinion regarding selling of my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 06:37 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Need some opinion regarding selling of my car

Don't worry I am not going anywhere, just considering of buying another 993...

How fast can I sell my 96 993 for if I am asking $50k for my car?

It is a 1996 993 Carrera Coupe, 6 speed, 47,000 miles, CD changes, Porsche hi-fi option, 18" technology wheels. Owner added option, euro twin turbo front bumper cover, original factory twin turbo tail. With books and detail records.

What is the realistic wholesale trade in value for this car at a Porsche dealership?

TIA

Old 08-15-2001, 06:50 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Robin,
Your car has "eyes" as they say in the biz so it should do well in the retail high 40's market. $50K is streatching with 47,000. miles. I traded a '95 993 coupe on my '97. The '95 was flawless with the full leather option and they gave me 33K trade. That was 5 months ago so you probably are not much higher wholesale. She looks like a nice retail car. Never had 4 wheels off unless you were in kitty litter...
Bill Walczak
993 DE Club Sport
Old 08-15-2001, 06:55 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin, There are lots of 993s for sale down here. I would think your car would wholesale in the low 40's. Your much better off selling it on your own. It's such a nice car, you should be able to get $50k. Did you find a c4s? Tell us about it. Mike W
Old 08-15-2001, 07:02 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

From your desciption and all the pretty internal pictures I've seen on this board, cost is not out of line I feel. Car seems pretty spotless. Then again, I'm not buying the sucker.

You checked Anderson's writeups in "Excellence" magazine? How about www.edmunds.com for wholesale prices?

Regarding how fast you can sell it; you're not in a redneck area where all they care about are pick-um-ups, so you have something going for you. Don't know what sources you're going to advertise in (local PCA newsletter, "Pano", "Autoweek", or this board, or others) so I would say anywhere from 1 week to 3 months.

(What in the world model of 993 could you want after this one? C4S? TT? Plus getting a M3 in place of your 323? What happen - you win the lottery?)
Old 08-15-2001, 07:05 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Hi Robin,

Because I am selling my Targa, I have a good feel for the demand of these cars and what they are bringing in. Yours is a bit special, with the added tail and front spoiler, etc... but the 47k miles probably negates those features. I wouldn't trade it wholesale, you probably won't get over 40k.

You could probably pull in around 45-48k private party. I know you may be disappointed with these numbers, but the economy has dragged down the market value of our cars...

Good Luck
Old 08-15-2001, 07:14 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Robin, I would imagine you could ask $50 in the local Atlanta paper and get $48 pretty fast. I would think Atlanta would be a good place to quickly sell a car - pretty cosmopolitan...

More importantly, what are you getting???

E. J.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:10 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Robin,

I second Rob's comments.

I had my eye on 993s for the last 12 months looking for the "best deal" My 95 C2 with 54K miles was $38K out the door. Had a few little items to be fixed, nothing major.

Your's a mint with extra goodies that a dealer won't give a hoot about. Clean is good but the mint part will only put money in their pocket when they resell it retail.

I would hold out for a private party buyer. It will take some time, but it will be worth the wait IMHO.

Sean
Old 08-15-2001, 08:44 PM
Carmen
Advanced

Robin,
If you can, like the others have mentioned and you can wait, sell on your own. As for trading it in, you will get burned.
I have been contimplating the same issue, even thought of consignment. Haven't sold it - YET....
The good part is if you can wait, you are still driving a Porsche - hmmm - ain't so bad.
But if you need to get rid of quickly to get other pcar, do what you feel is the best, and makes YOU HAPPY. .

Carmen
Old 08-15-2001, 11:45 PM
dino
AutoX

Sold my 96 993 Coupe with 18,000 miles for $50,500 3 months ago. Blk/Blk ,18's, Sport seats, full leather, alum dials, painted crests, motor sound, prem/hifi sound.
Car was in perfect/concours condition and it took me 2 months to sell it

Dino
Old 08-16-2001, 12:44 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Drop buy your local Porsche dealer: See what he'll give you for the car, with and without add ons.

It looks like you'll be getting $0.30 on the dollar, consider removing all the added goodies and sell them separately, including the Big Reds. You'll probably pick up a nice chunk of change for these items.

Or, put the car on e-Bay.

I would think a Rennlister would be interested in the car, as it stands. Good luck with the project.

If I were buying another 993, I'd be looking at a 993 RS from Europe. What a super car!!!, and 300 HP.

Martin
Old 08-16-2001, 01:12 AM
PCA RacerX

Hey Robin 993 DX In Atlanta, I think you should trade in or sell that "Turbo" look-a-like Porsche you have and opt for a real mean and fast car like the Corvette Z06. I have one of them and the thing rips. I really think it kicks the pants off even the 996TT. Thats one of the reasons I decided to buy it. Also, it was only 50K which is a hell of a lot cheaper and faster than the 996TT(which doesn't say much for Porsche). Anyway, when you sell your car for around 36K, you won't have to drop much more cake for that Vette. Have fun deciding what to do.

Daily Driver:
2001 Corvette Z06, Silver
Racer Car:
1994 964 C2, race prep
Old 08-16-2001, 11:12 AM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

what's up,
why in the world would you wanna sell that beauty, your at the top as far as I can see, there's only 1 way to go from there, what happened? Mr.Jones across the street got a 996? What ever you do don't listen to that racer and trade that lean mean red machine for a vette of any configuration, thats the worst idea i,ve heard in a month and a half! Don,t worry,be happy with what you have, why cant people do that??
Old 08-16-2001, 11:36 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
Robin,

First of all gorgeous car. I may be in the same position as you. Was considering selling my '95 C4 to trade up to an S model. What I found is like others said, the economy is dragging down values. I sincerely think your car is worth $48-50. I would personally never wholesale it to a dealer unless you are wheeling and dealing on a car they have in stock. Then you may have something. I know a guy who goes to the Manheim auction and he said theses are going for low 40's there...but again that is wholesale. My opinion? If you can deal with the tire-kickers and hassle, sell it on your own. Otherwise, find a dealership with a clean version of what you want and work out a deal. They want to sell the car as much as you want to buy it, and they have a significant margin to work on. Good luck and email me off line if you want any other info.
Old 08-16-2001, 12:56 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Robin I agree with PCA RACERX to a point I sure hope you upgrade to a 993tt. One quick question did that new car and driver on the porsche getting drilled in every test run cause this sale?
SWAMP MONSTER
Old 08-18-2001, 12:36 AM
H. Miller
Racer

Question

CAA wrote "Was considering selling my '95 C4 to trade up to an S model."
CAA, I have owned a 95 C4 and now own a 98C4S (A.Silver/gray, 23k) and would like to go back to the 95 C4 for a couple of reasons, mostly because I don't want to have so much money tied up in a car.
Would you consider trading for the right 'S' car?
miller27@viafamily.com

Quick Reply: Need some opinion regarding selling of my car