Sponsored by:

Short Shift Kit sold by AJ USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 06:47 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Question Short Shift Kit sold by AJ USA

Anyone have it? Is this any good? I'm a little dissapointed by the long throw of a 993 'box. The search I did here came up with a pretty involved kit by another company that involved among other things, physical changes to the tunnel under the body. That's not for me.

Any other solutions tried? Or do I just get used to it?

<a href="http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/inventory/view_category?cat_id=11" target="_blank">AJ's kit</a>
Old 08-16-2002, 07:17 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All wheel drive requires the tranny tunnel to be dimpled to make room for the throw, if I'm not mistaken. I purchased the short shift kit from Mike Schatz for my C2 and it does not require this for installation. Mike sells the factory RS kit. Excellent upgrade.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would the factory RS kit require any modifications to be placed on a 993TT?

Any other drawbacks to a short throw system? Why don't all Porsches come straight from the factory with a short shift system?
Old 08-17-2002, 12:21 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anir,

I believe that your TT would require the transmission tunnel to be dimpled slightly to allow more clearance for the throw.

Good question - cost? The RS parts are better. One piece that came out of mine was plastic and the RS part that went in was metal. Its a shorter and firmer throw.

Sam
Old 08-18-2002, 09:14 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a simple sketch of the installation:

Old 08-18-2002, 09:24 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
I was talked out of this mod last year by my shop.
The reason was they saw more than a few guys new to the track miss a shift (5 to 2) because of the shorter throw of the RS shift kit. Less room for error. I think this winter I will do the upgrade as I now have a couple of years under my belt. For the street I think it is a fantastic upgrade, but if your going to really track your car, the above point is something to keep in mind.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:45 AM
leslie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Eric in Chicago:
<strong>I was talked out of this mod last year by my shop.
The reason was they saw more than a few guys new to the track miss a shift (5 to 2) because of the shorter throw of the RS shift kit. Less room for error............................For the street I think it is a fantastic upgrade, but if your going to really track your car, the above point is something to keep in mind.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Eric,

I am not sure why your shop talked you out of the purchase. There are many reasons why I love my RS but the shift action is definately the number one reason. I have never come across another shift action as well weighted and accurate as that on the RS and I would recommend this upgrade to anyone without any hesitation whatsoever.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:22 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 258 Posts
I have a 95 993 with a factory short shift upgrade (don't know exact number, but it can be easily looked up..).

Can't comment on feel, for this is all I know. Curious how this differs from RS setup.

Gotta love RS stuff...
Old 08-19-2002, 08:32 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anir,

Perhaps it is the slightly greated effort required to shift or the associated cost for the "better" parts. I only drove one car with a regular shifter before purchasing mine with the short version. I feel the car should have come this way. Of course I also feel that the car should have come with the LW flywheel, sport motor mounts, hybrid turbo's, Bilstein suspension, etc......

Quick Reply: Short Shift Kit sold by AJ USA