My first ever track day by SlOW-LD GUY or How to upgrade your sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 02:36 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My first ever track day by SlOW-LD GUY or How to upgrade your sway bar

WOW, so many emotions last nite as I drove home, jubilation, want, saddness (that is was over), anticipation, gratitude, and a whole new love and admiration for my car, oh what a car! But first to some thanks -Thanks to Steve OFE for getting us together! A MONSTER thanks to Lord Viper (AGAIN!!) for saving my bacon. I was adjusting my PSS9's, Tom Webber saw my rear drops links were busted. I was completely flattened. My first track day, and indeed the whole weekend down the tubes! But wait!!! VIper Bob had a TRG sway bar in his trailer!! SOOooo , and I dont recommend trying this at home, my wife was forced to let the upgrade happen because we would have flushed $300 down the toilet.
(if you do try this at the track bring some ear plugs because the words your wife will use are NOT pretty!!)
So inbetween sessions, Lord Viper installed my new bar, courtesy of Scott Shipley (Bradford), and withouts Scotts knowledge! The bars were intended for Scott, and he had driven up to procure them! Scott showed up, and I ran and hid in a toilet stall, but I heard Scott and Jane just chuckle, so I could come out!!
anyway I only missed one session. So on the second session, I could go out! Lord VIper and I got in the car and Bob was pretty animated. Most of the conversation went like this.
"Ok Paul you want to line it up and then wait and NO! not now! .....oh well look at the next turn..... get over there now wait.... wait...NO not NOW!! Oh forget that one.......Get ready brake wait OH NOT!!.... Oh well there is the next one."
And there was the classic "What you are doing is VERY DANGEROUS! NOT GOOD!"
So needless to say the first session was not very artistic, closer to autistic.
But man, there were infinity's everywhere --Inifinitys on the left of me and Infinitys on the right and here I was stuck in the middle with Bob!!
After I got back Jauder was changing tires, car up on Jacks.
But on the second session I started getting "it" alittle better and what Bob was saying started sinking in. I cut 10 seconds off my lap times.
WHen I came back Jauder was changing tires again.
The third session, I went by myself and everything Bob had said was readily avialable in my little brain. So all those infinitys were toast!! I was killing em. They smelled bad too like burning brakes and burning plastic. But not as bad as the burnt up VW, who adjusted his exahust to point at his gas tank. But I cut off 5 seconds and was passing everyone except this guy in a SPec Miata, Magnus. He was kicking my butt!! I once made fun of Juader for that!! Not anymore..
Turns out that was Magnus 10th Track day!! What the hell was he doing in the Yellow group??!! I started to understand how to let the car work, and not fight it, I was not scrubbing so much speed and it was easier to go faster.
When I got back Jauder had his tires off.
I wish I had a couple more sessions, but it was Merritts turn Sunday (my wife) After we got done, we hung around the track drinking beer courtesy of Seege and Lord VIper and Austin Ford (NOT a car dealer). then we headed out to the BBQ place for revelry. But we had to wait for Jauder he was putting on a wheel.

BUT before I get to that, I have to say a new Legend was born on Saturday, a perky little fisty lady in a 996 was known as the TAPE LADY!! She was tracking her husbands 911(curiously without her husband who was home writing code as she stated!) and she completely taped the car except for the doors. At first I thought it was ALans riviera Blue 993. Everything was taped --the whole hood-- the whole front fenders- the whole rear fenders. I was suprised she didnt tape the wind shield and leave a little sqaure for her to see out, like the old WWII tanks. She was also my first passing victum. So we go to the BBQ place, and we had quite the shindig. Good food and good cold beer, especially the beer they called the MONDO beer! At those quantities who cared what kind it was! we partied late into the evening like 9PM, and retired for Sunday. I heard Austin and Jauder went out looking for girls at the Buttonwillow Taco Bell. But alas nuthing but hiefers out there!
Sunday was Merritts Day, so I was her pit babe. We got there early Sunday morning and things were a little cloudy for me. We had left the TT at the track and I couldnt remember where I had left the key. Merritt was pretty dog gone PO'd. And we had checked out of the hotel (hotel??!! Motel with a captial M!!)
and i had to go through my dirty clothes, and found it in my driving suit (blue jeans)
Jauder was taking off a wheel when we got her ready to go.
She went out the first time, and after watching her, I dont think she used the brakes. I am pretty sure she was going slow enough that she did not have to tap the brakes the whole session. Put it in 3rd, dont use the brakes, boil racing down to its simplest terms. 4 minute laps.
She pulled in next to Jauder who was putting on a wheel, and she looked tired.
The second time she went out, I saw her tap the brakes a few times and she cut a minute off her lap times. Turning, braking, GOOOOD!. I told her she should try accellerating this time. Maybe even shift! Also she said that Bob did not say much in the second session. I told her maybe Bob shouldn't have taken the Sunday Bakersfield Californian with him. So I told Bob to give her more input on the third session. WOOHOOO! I heard accelleration on the thrid session! there was braking! and Turning! and Passing! and she was smiling!! Alas, still no shifting but she did pass the Corvette! Two minute lap times (2:25)!!
She had started to get "it" To her credit, the second session was a nightmare. Cars were all over the track spinning, one guy went into the wall, and the session was red flagged IN A BEGINNERS GROUP!! I would not adivse Speed ventures unless you are a experienced guy, just too much caos. The intermidiate session was full at 40 cars, and they turned people away! It did not seem real organized. I almost pulled Merritt off for the day, after the second session. Luckily I did not, and her and Bob kicked butt on the third session.
When she got back she had a huge smile, I dont know if it was she was having fun or that Jauder was taking off some wheels.
As I said, I was just in sensory overload coming home. I learned I want to drive my car rather than look at it. I learned the car has alot of potential (jury is still out on me). I learned I want to do this more. I learned I dont know much. Maybe my kids dont have to go to college, theres always the military. But first I have to pay VIper Bob for the rear sway bar. I learned I absolutely love hanging out with my Rennlist buddies, the comdraderie is as good as the driving, what special people! Viper Bob who will help beyong belief, and brings track toys like scooters and pocket bikes. Steve OFE who always has a encouraging word. Rand who makes hanging out fun. Seege who has more energy than my 9 year old Sean. Jauder always quick with a smile and a joke, inbetween taking off and putting on wheels. Tom W who always has a bit of good advise and is just plain fun as the head of Turtle Camp. Scott Mellor who reminds me that no matter how nervous I am, he is always more nervous( Fast but nervous) My wife who always tells me that my budget has just been slashed. Chris Walrod who is just a plain nice guy, Max who is as humble as they come. Eric and Kelly who entertained Sean and gave me some great conversation! To all of you and all of you I forgot I just want to say thanks and lets go driving!!
PS I want to say a special thanks for Scott (bradford) for donating his TRG rear sway bar unwittingly so I could drive!!
I will attach pics to this thread tonite before MNF
I also want to thank the Dallas Cowboys for having a bye week while I was away!

CP--PONG YOU HAVE TO GO!!!!!!

Last edited by OldGuy; 10-04-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:42 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think we should rename viper bob or lord viper bob to darth bob. he lures you to dark side with all the uprades ...
Old 10-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Paul,

Glad the sway bar worked out for you. I'm sure you all had a great weekend, good to see all the Rennlisters. I hope to get out to Willow Springs before the years out.

Scott
Old 10-04-2004, 03:28 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

OG-

Awesome post. I have my first DE coming up at the end of the month. Can't wait!!
Old 10-04-2004, 03:49 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

LOL.... gotta love reading about another addicted track junkie!

...sadly our season will end soon.. but I guess it's just as well since funds would run beyond dry if we could track all year
Old 10-04-2004, 03:58 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I'm still nervous today, and I'm home safe!
Old 10-04-2004, 04:17 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

way to go OG!
Old 10-04-2004, 04:43 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Revelry

Ok here are some pics this is the BBQ place where we ate on Friday and Sat nites
Here is Lord Viper closest Seege just turning his head and TomW looking right at us. If you look 2 talbles in back the rest of the turtles were feeding and uh... Drinking. BTW I noticed turtles are really good drinkers!
Attached Images  

Last edited by OldGuy; 10-04-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:44 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default World famous and nationally renowned Tape Lady

She keeps Home Depot in business the Tape Lady!! Notice the guy next to her just by coming close has a piece of blue tape stuck to his wrist.
Arnaud is in the shadows in the back by the coors sign
Attached Images  

Last edited by OldGuy; 10-04-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:47 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Sunday morning strategy

Seege, Viper Bob, Rand, TOmW and ZCATS wife who was fast and giving Tom, fits going over the track layout Sun morning
Attached Images  

Last edited by OldGuy; 10-04-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Rennlist Row

Theres Skid Row and now Rennlist Row luckily there were some NA cars like Rands pastel yellow 993 to break up the monotony of TT's
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2004, 04:49 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

How about 'Darth Viper'? Jauder should be credited for that one

Paul, glad you had a great time and were safe! Hope Merrit had a great time as well. I enjoyed meeting you, Merrit and Sean. Sean and I had some fun taking pictures up on the tower balcony, early Sat morning. Wow, does Sean have energy
Old 10-04-2004, 04:49 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default THE GRID!

The first yellow group with my wife in the grid with the Viper
BTW the guy in the merc was an idiot in the dirt all the time. Todd would have sent him home!
Attached Images  

Last edited by OldGuy; 10-04-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:50 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Turtle Camp

There was the turtle camp setup up by head West Coast Turtle TomW
Mike are you watching!!
Attached Images  

Last edited by OldGuy; 10-04-2004 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:52 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Yung-thang coming off the track

This was the first pic of my wife before her first helmet hair pic which mysteriously disappeared
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: My first ever track day by SlOW-LD GUY or How to upgrade your sway bar