Sponsored by:

My first ever track day by SlOW-LD GUY or How to upgrade your sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Others in the photo are Andrew Dimas (with his mouth open) with brother Harry seated next to him and talking to Michele, who is seated across from her husband Bill (ZCAT) who is talking to Stan Dimas. Next to Seege is Pete.

Harry, Stan and Andrew brought 2 cars to the event. Harry's normal PCA "C" class 993 and the new car Stan and Harry put together (964 body with 993 engine). They dragged Andrew to his first track day so he could help test the '964'. Pete Michele and I did battle all day on Saturday for bragging rights to the 'slow' NA group - Michele won. I think Harry was about 10 seconds faster than we were and very closely followed by Arnaud.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:53 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The Viper Lair

this is where you go when all hell breaks loose and you have to be healed

The viper Lair
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you had such a great time OG,

Tomorrow, when the adrenalin rush dies a bit, read your post.

You will **** yourself laughing. All drugges out you were.

Only one thing left: slow in, fast out and never back off. Though with your 4wd tractor, this becomes a moot point.

I also have a great time at DE days.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:57 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default PJ and Ahmed

These 2 guys passed a CHP on Sun morn at 170+! The guy did not have a radar and called a CHP who did. the CHP came to catch PJ and AHmed and PJ's V1 went off and they both got off the freeway and hid, thinking their life was over. They told me their story after living to tell about it. Hiding thier 04 911's on a cattle truck at a rest stop. They both smelled of cow dung, and were still sweating telling me their story of horror. The names and smells were changed to protect the guilty!
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2004, 05:01 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OG. I was wondering, did you have a good and was your weekend exciting? DUH!!! Oh, and BTW, do you know anyone who changes tires?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:11 PM
nman413
Drifting

Did anyone get a count of how many times I took those damn things off? I got a nice workout just doing that.

Paul, you are absolutely hilarious. Oh and I had fun hanging out with your kid. I wish I could have borrowed some of that energy when I was trying to get out of bed this morning.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:15 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jauder I dont think I could do track events without you!! (oh and Viper Bob and parts expert Austin!)
Old 10-04-2004, 11:37 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
........................................................................ .........................................

CP--PONG YOU HAVE TO GO!!!!!!
Old Guy,

I was about to skip your tome and then I saw this line.

Well, this year has been a brutal year at work, and I'm trying to spend time with family. Also, my RUF needs a little more VB TLC. I hope to be all fixed up by year end. So if I can get my two big projects done by spring, I'll try my best to join you guys. I need to start with a safer track though, think the Mohave Desert is available?

I am shooting for a new track time record: FIVE minute laps.

CP

PS, Can you please give us a little more detail about Jauder and his tires/wheels. The details seem a little sketchy.

Last edited by CP; 10-05-2004 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,777 Likes on 2,367 Posts

OG, that was one long post. unfortunately i wasn't able to make it ;(.... i did TH today with jauder. wish i could have been down south.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:16 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

Interesting story on the two 996s shown above Old Guy. That could explain a few things to me about the silver (hardtop) cab that until now I found puzzling.

On his first lap of the day, I witnessed this 'route' taken at the corner I was stationed at:

I could only assume, given his rate of speed, that it was a planned move based on the "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line" theory. Mixing Mark Donahue's "The Unfair Advantage" book with his grade six geometry text book...very clever....

But on the next lap he didn't follow the straight line theory, OR the track for that matter... Now, after reading your story Old Guy, I'm starting to put two and two together.... after his run in with the law ,he was trying to camoflauge his car with a nice thick layer of dirt... "Jauder-flauge" if you will....

I can only assume that he realized he missed a spot, and went into the dirt on the third lap for a little touch-up:

Old 10-05-2004, 12:53 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Max,
I like, I like.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:55 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Paul, old buddy, your pics are lookin pretty good too! Keep em coming
Old 10-05-2004, 03:38 AM
nman413
Drifting

Aw geez. I only went in the dirt once, although I admit I was doing something silly. If you punch the throttle in third gear on a Turbo coming out of a corner, guess what? Massive wheelspin

I was having a blast lighting up the tires going onto the back straight and going over Magic Mountain. Of course doing this anywhere close to a wall (i.e. Sunrise) is recipie for disaster, as some found out Sunday. Last lap of the day, my entry angle was a tad too sharp to get away with that and off I went.

Paul, glad to have you and your family along anytime. I'm planning on doing lots more track days to make up for lack of talent. I'm sure you'll be ripping up the track in no time as will Merritt.

CP, I'm really bummed you were not able to make it. To make up for it, here's the tire story in full.
I have been driving on the same set of street tires for 11 DE days. The tires were rock hard. I kinda figured it might be a problem so Austin kindly agreed to bring another set of tires that I have down. My first session out had me sliding all over the place and I could get no traction at all. So, I had to get the new (used) tires mounted. After the spin, I had to get the wheels removed to reattach some body work as well as get the tires redone as there was a lot of gravel caught between the rim and tire causing leaks. Next, my brakes died going into Sunset so I had to bleed the brakes. So by this point, I've removed the wheels 3 or 4 times. Towards the end of the day I discovered that the left rear tire had a leak and I had been pounding around the track with 18 pounds of air. Was real lucky nothing bad happened. The car isnt running too great right now but it should be all better soon.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:43 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 662 Posts

Yes,

Many thanks to Lord Viper and his crew from DEVEK, they made a good track day into a GREAT track day.

Evan...
Old 10-05-2004, 10:48 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Evan it was great meeting you and doing wing anlges, next time I will bring my calculator.
Beautiful car!!

Quick Reply: My first ever track day by SlOW-LD GUY or How to upgrade your sway bar