993 Forum 1995-1998

Detailed engine bay today....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 05:52 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Detailed engine bay today....

Griots engine cleaner sprayed on and soak for several minutes...light agitation to trouble spot areas, finish with leaf blower dry, then spray on Griots engine gloss treatment.....
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2004, 06:21 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks great! Its amazing how rewarding this type of project is. Good job!
Old 10-03-2004, 07:05 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

n i c e !!!!

how long did it take? btw; have to confess i'm a griot's user too.

Last edited by 24FPS; 10-04-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

really only took about an hour...maybe even a little less....the engine cleaner once sprayed on really loosens the dirt/grime... i used a very light brush, because if you use to much agitation, it can take off the black coating on some of the plastics... i probably let the Griots engine cleaner sit on for about 20min, then worked on the engine with the brush for about 10-15 min, then took high-powered spray to the entire engine/compartment. some prefer to start the car and dry the engine that way, but i prefer to use a powerful leaf blower...i spent at least 10 min just blowing the hell out of the engine bay, including poking the blower nozzle into all the tight spots, etc..... finally, i followed up by spraying the griots gloss all over the compartment...that stuff is almost like a clear lacquer....really shines things up...

i agree with others that some of the griots products are really rip-off in price for what you get, and i never use his wash or wax stuff because i am zaino freak...however, there are some key products i really like and use consistently from Griots....these are the things i really have yet to find a good replacement for:

- undercarriage dressing
- engine cleaner/gloss
- window cleaner
- interior cleaner
- rubber cleaner
Old 10-04-2004, 03:54 AM
TonyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Griots engine cleaner sprayed on and soak for several minutes...light agitation to trouble spot areas, finish with leaf blower dry, then spray on Griots engine gloss treatment.....
Looks great ! And you didn't have any electrical or belt-slippig problems after this ? How much residue in the engine pan or does this stuff evaporate ?
Old 10-04-2004, 04:31 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Sully,

You are now smitten with the Porker bug. Didn't take you long.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:02 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TonyN
Looks great ! And you didn't have any electrical or belt-slippig problems after this ? How much residue in the engine pan or does this stuff evaporate ?
No problems at all....

you know people caution about this....no water here or there on electrical items, or in certain intake areas, etc... admitedly, i used common sense and didnt sit there with water pressure on any particular wires, intake, etc.... i just sort of sprayed evenly across the entire engine bay. the beauty of the engine degreasing step is that the solution does most of the work....just spray off. however, to be extra careful, i do recommend a high-powered leaf blower....using the blower to dry out the compartment, most water is gone within 10 minutes or less....
Old 10-04-2004, 08:13 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Mr Sullivan You need to study with Mr Tom Webber. His #154 1992 964 track car is unmatched in concours condition. the paint alone is worth a museum spot. Why the way the oil clings to under the spoiler is great, it protects the spoiler from other track deposits that might venture there. The spot of primer on the drivers side rear fender flare is exquisite! It gleams with a shine only found on 200 grit sand paper. The paint on the hood is as shiny as... well.. tree bark, and the wheels are polished to a high..
high.. roughness. It is a wonder to behold, but I will tell you it does NOT slow the turtle down on the track he was blowing by other more powerful cars. And when he was done he would come back tot he pits and quickly grab a polishing towel, microfiber, and brush off his lawn chair and sit down.
He is a concours master!!

Quick Reply: Detailed engine bay today....