Supercharged 993 on the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 05:34 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged 993 on the track

Hi all,

I have a '95 993 C2 which I use mainly for track days (DE events) here in the UK. It has been upgraded with PSS9's RS sway bars, strut brace and Michelin Cup sports. (as well as other mods such as RSR's and internal trim items etc) I have also just bought TT big reds for the front and am awaiting a set of RS big red calipers for the rear from Gert.

It has done 73K miles and runs really well on the track, but as allways I yearn for more, especially to deal with the GT3's

So I have also just bought a TPC supercharger kit which is in a box in my garage awaiting fitment (winter project)

Boy is that slope slippery!!!!!

My question is will I blow up the engine if i use it on the track? What about the gearbox and differential, drive train etc will it take the strain?

Should I put on an extra oil cooler?

What should I do to minimise the potential risk of overstressing the car given track use?

At the moment I don't plan an intercooler.

Have searched the archives but they don't give a lot of clues as to track use?

TIA

John S.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:43 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

great questions. Maybe you should PM Sachin as he has spent a lot of time dealing with the TPC SC in his car.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:06 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Thanks for the advice, I have PM'd Sachin.

John

I hope he replies to the thread for all to see
Old 09-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

If you run on the track, You should add a Cargraphic oil cooler even if you don't have a supercharger.

And, if it were my car I was tracking, I would add an intercooler to the S/C. That extra heat is not doing your pistons or combustion chamber any favors.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:43 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
If you run on the track, You should add a Cargraphic oil cooler even if you don't have a supercharger.

If you order today, you may get it before the end of winter.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:58 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

John,
Also there seem to be differing opinions as to whether or not changing the engine compression is needed. Sachin did not change his and is comfortable with it, others (Steve W. for example) recommended lowering the compression to deal with the boost. I suppose only long term use will tell which is correct. Obviously I would love to find out that SC our cars without changing the compression won't affect the engine long term - that would save a great deal of cash on a terrific mod. Either way, I think spending the couple grand more on an intercooler is definitely the way to go with this mod.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:00 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Which winter?
Winter 2007.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Sent you a PM as well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats on your decision to SC your car. You will be amazed at the difference.

In regards to track use. I'm just getting started myself. Although here's a list of things you MUST address regardless of Track use, in order of priority.

1) Ignition system - Replace everything. Plugs, Wires, Distributors & Rotors, and Ignition Coils or you will experience random misfires. The SC just amplifies everything.
2) Intercooler. Mine was custom. I can send you details. Hot Intake air is not good.
3) Oil Cooler - I don't have one, but if you are considering track use its a must, especially if you don't have an intercooler.
4) Not sure if u have a C4S, but beef up your brakes. I was fortunate to start with a C4S which had the big reds.

Good Luck, and let me know if I can help in any other way.

EDIT:
I'm not sure what impact the SC will have on the drivetrain. I know I'm a bit more carefull with my shifts now. I feel confident that my drivetrain can handle it since my C4S is AWD which is the same as the TT AWD (I think)

Last edited by Sachin Misra; 09-29-2004 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 09-29-2004, 04:22 PM
nman413
Drifting

Which decade?
Old 09-29-2004, 04:33 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

More HP= more heat.. Add oil cooling capacity at a minimum.. Sounds like a fun project....for a rainy, cloudy day
Old 09-29-2004, 05:21 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Chris, 360 Hp + 40% more torque through two wheel drive on the track - Hmmmm not sure if a rainy day would be a good idea.

More seriously I need something to do this rainy winter in the UK. Last winter it was PSS9's, roll bars, strut brace, RS motor mounts ... etc

Thanks for all the advice guys, oil cooler is a must, luckily I dont have air con so have a nice space in the left wing and also for fan, relay in the fuse box etc.

Any ideas on fitting a stock set up from the right in the left where the air con would normally go?

Or what about a standard oil cooler core since I have space? Do i really need to go cargraphic?

Do i really need an intercooler? Surely an additional oil cooler will suffice?

Thanks

John.

P.S. Yesterday my wife asked as I was off to work if she could put the box of "rubbish" in the corner of the garage out for the trash men, when I told her no as it contained £4000 of supercharger kit she was not happy!!! I had only got permission for an upgrade (vague) of an unspecified amount! I had to leave very quickly for work.

When I got home the spare room was full of new clothes, shoes etc "for the winter" - " well if you can spend that much on your car........." - why don't they understand!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

An oil cooler reduces oil and engine temps but will not reduce intake air temps the way an intercooler will.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:09 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sachin Misra
Sent you a PM as well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what impact the SC will have on the drivetrain. I know I'm a bit more carefull with my shifts now. I feel confident that my drivetrain can handle it since my C4S is AWD which is the same as the TT AWD (I think)
Not 100% confident of this one, but I'd bet $5 you don't have the TT driveshafts, or the G64/51 internals ..... but don't let that spoil your fun !

cheers, Maurice

Quick Reply: Supercharged 993 on the track