993 Forum 1995-1998

Syncro replacement cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 01:15 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Syncro replacement cost?

There has been talk about fluid changes to fix the problem of a slight grind in second gear when cold. Does anyone know what it would cost to fix it properly with new syncros for second (also 1 and 3 maybe since the tranny will already be out)?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:57 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am wondering the same as well. To get around the grinding I have resorted to double-clutching second gear the first few minutes in the morning.

What tranny fluid is recommended? I used Redline MTF in my previous car (M3).

Last edited by MrRoboto; 09-28-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could call Cory at Autometrics in Charleston and ask. I see him rebuild transmissions quite often.

Last edited by Ron; 09-28-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:12 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

It seems that redline and mobil one are the two most popular.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:56 PM
Benton
Drifting

I think I read somewhere that the second gear synchro is pretty expensive compared to the others. I could be completely wrong though. Something about it being two piece? That may only apply to the steel synchros though, if I am right at all.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, and I thought this problem was just me!

I had this work done very soon after I bought my car two years ago, but my records are at home. I'll track down the records and post later.

I had both 1st and 2nd synchros replaced, then when it continued popping out of 2nd gear, went back and had 1st and 2nd gear replaced. However, after all that work, on cold mornings my car will still clunk or mildly grind into 2nd. What seems to work best for me, believe it or not, is to shift faster. From 1st, I put it in neutral, rev match, then quickly yet still gently put it in 2nd. The two finger method works for me (use only two fingers on the shifter, so as not to give much force into gear. I've read here others do the same.) If I take my time about putting it into 2nd, it will invariably grind.

I hope that helps. I'll look for my records tonight.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's pretty common for a mild grind on the 1st to 2nd shift when cold. This has been discussed many times over the few years I've been on the board. Some people have noted some change/improvement with different gears oil brands, but none that consitently eliminates the grind. The second gear synchro in steel is expensive (about $1500), but I do not know the price of the brass version (brass for street, steel for track). In any case it means dropping the transmission and pulling it apart which is likely to be over $1000 in labor.

It's an expensive proposition for a fix that is unlikely to fix the issue. I've had my transmission regeared (shorter gears and new synchros) and it still happens. It's a design issue that I would not worry about if it is limited to a mild grind only when cold - you are not causing undue damage to your transmission.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:09 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Tom W - Your post makes me feel a bit better. I thought I was killing my 2nd gear. I guess I will just continue to double clutch.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:49 PM
garychios
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In other cars, when the tranny is rebuilt and still grinds, sometimes the step of the flywheel is off or the clutch is warped or worn. Also the pedal travel needs adjustment or the system cables or clutch slave need bleeding. This is what I do on my Mitsu race cars and I run passed the 9500 RPM mark which kills synchros. I am sure some tweaking is also required on Porsches.

Mayb Viper Bob can chime in on clutch pedal adjustment.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Trackjunke - I replaced 1st syncro, 2nd syncro and cone ring, guide sleeves for 1 and 2, and gaskets. Parts were $500, labor $1500, for a total of $2000. Four months later I replaced the 2nd gear set which includes 1st gear as well (it's all one piece). Parts were $1600, labor I got a break since it was not fixed initially. So grand total is in the range of $3500 to replace 1st and 2nd gear including syncros.

I think my tranny was abused by the PO, thus the major problems I had. My symptoms included 2nd grinding regardless of outside temps, and popping out of gear when decelerating. I do not think my experience is typical. But even with these repairs, in cold weather mine will still make a slight grind into 2nd.

Let me if you would like more details.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:32 AM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get my fluid changed but I have trouble shifting from 3 to 2 at the track sometimes. It's almost like I overshoot the gate and go left enough to where you would engage reverse. It's a little disturbing but I usually end up getting it into the right gear eventually and keep going.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icerbofh
I need to get my fluid changed but I have trouble shifting from 3 to 2 at the track sometimes. It's almost like I overshoot the gate and go left enough to where you would engage reverse. It's a little disturbing but I usually end up getting it into the right gear eventually and keep going.
I'm no expert, but your problem sounds more like problems with the shifter mechanism being worn or out of adjustment. A fluid change won't help that.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:55 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by icerbofh
That happened to me the other day during "spirited" driving. Worn shifter linkage?
Old 09-30-2004, 09:40 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Adrienne,
Thanks for the prices. I dont seem to have problems downshifting even when cold. Just a slight grind when cold. I guess there is not point in fixing it until it gets worse.

Quick Reply: Syncro replacement cost?