Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil cooler and AC ballast resistor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 02:23 AM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bobby, on the AC side, the windshield washer tank is in the way I dont see how you could even access the plug. Pictures would help....
Old 09-21-2004, 03:04 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Jauder,
The plug on my 95 was located on the left side as you look in the driver's side headlamp opening, clipped onto the wall formed by the fender, down low. It's no longer in that location now that I remounted the resistor. If you still can't find it let me know.

BobbyT
Old 11-11-2015, 05:22 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Reviving this very old thread to report that I revisited these resistors, and found that after eleven years in the "new" location, they still look and function as new. No evidence of overheating at all, and they test in spec with the Ohmmeter. Still, in consideration of comments about heat from Graham, Dan, after consulting with Tore in Norway, and wanting to keep the heat away from the body surface they are mounted on, I decided to add a suitable piece of 1/8 thickness aluminum as an additional heat sink, along with a thin film of heat transfer paste, to the back of the provided heat sink, and mount the oil cooler fan resistor in a new location. Maybe this will be good for another decade.

Here is a picture of the new location. It is still easy to access, but in a nice stream of air when the fan is on (otherwise too if the car is moving), and away from any painted surfaces that might be visible if heat damaged. Very difficult to get a picture, but this is a 2 X 3 X 1/8 aluminum plate, bolted to the lip of the rear edge of the headlight bucket bottom tray, so it sits down below the tray. Not visible even when the headlight is pulled out.
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2015, 08:48 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the update. I noticed mine had been replaced sometime in the past with the improved resistors (no record of it...). They looked alright though I have no idea how long they'd been there.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:59 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Kurt,

You can test the resistors easily with an Ohmmeter from the main electrical panel.

1. Locate relays in positions R04 (oil fan) and R14 (AC fan).
2. Remove the relay for the resistor you want to test.
3. Check resistance between pin sockets 87 and 87c. Pin socket numbers are embossed on the relay panel, so hard to read without good light.
4. Measured value should be in the range of .6-.8 ohms. The value stamped on the resistor is .45, but the readings shown allow for resistance of the Ohmmeter wiring and connections.
5. High resistance, for example 20 ohms, indicates an open circuit.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:57 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks Bobby.

I was actually doing a bunch of work up front (had the bumper cover off). I bought two new resistors anticipating finding some old, original ones. I went ahead and installed the new ones anyway.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:28 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Hi Kurt,

You can test the resistors easily with an Ohmmeter from the main electrical panel.

1. Locate relays in positions R04 (oil fan) and R14 (AC fan).
2. Remove the relay for the resistor you want to test.
3. Check resistance between pin sockets 87 and 87c. Pin socket numbers are embossed on the relay panel, so hard to read without good light.
4. Measured value should be in the range of .6-.8 ohms. The value stamped on the resistor is .45, but the readings shown allow for resistance of the Ohmmeter wiring and connections.
5. High resistance, for example 20 ohms, indicates an open circuit.
thank you for posting this, i need to check mine. well done relocation spot will prob use this technique.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler and AC ballast resistor replacement