Helmet for DE events?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 12:10 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Helmet for DE events?

What type of helmets do people have for track days? I have a nice Arai Signet GT (below) for the bike. However, as I understand it, I must buy a fire-resistant model meeting Snell standards for automotive DE events. I'd really love something with good ventilation like the Arai.

Any leads on online racing supply places would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2001, 12:23 AM
mdi911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try: http://www.racerwholesale.com

I bought my bell M2 there a few years ago and they had the best price.
I went to a local shop and sized the helmet, when I asked the guy for a discount to match the Racer Wholesale price he couldn't even come close so I ordered from them. Although my helmet works fine and I have no problems, I would probably go with kevlar for my next one, it's lighter.
At least in our PCA zone, motorcycle helmets are not allowed and the car helmets must be at least SA95.
Old 08-13-2001, 12:59 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

There are 2 big possibilities: Open face and close face. I have a closed face and I'm sure that if I had a crash I would be happy that I have a closed one but every time I get in the car I wish I had an open face... Anyway, most important advice is try the helmet on for 30 minutes or so before you buy. You'll feel the pressure points and will know what helmet fits you better. Last thing you want is a headache at 150MPH...
I live 30 miles from Racer Wholesale so I went there, tried and bought....
Old 08-13-2001, 01:28 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

RE "fire resistant" - guess you mean SNELL "SA" rating. Ths is TOTALLY dependent upon organization putting on event. Some require "SA" rating, others (us for one) say "M" rating is OK. Got to check with organization putting on event.

Our judgement is that driver's education events are largely for teaching safe high speed driving to people who come out in their street cars. Coupes don't require any sspecial equipment like roll bars for race harnesses. We don't mandate Kevlar driving suits, so mandating a "SA" helmet is a bit overboard. Then again, get a helmet with a SNELL "SA" 2000 rating and you will probably be OK for anybody's event.

From using Simpson and Bell open-face styles, I feel Bell makes the better quality helmet. Then again, will likely go to a closed face next time. Have heard of a few people having outside dirt/rocks thrown up at them and a closed face saved them from injury.

Online places for helmets include Racer Wholesale and O. G. Racing; do a web search.

One warning - if you intend to customize a helmet, make sure it fits FIRST. Know one person who shipped a helmet from the supplier directly to a customizer. When he got it back, he found out the helmet didn't fit him! He was out a few hundred $$$$, and to say he was "ticked" would be putting it mildly.
Old 08-13-2001, 02:29 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Anir
After speaking w/a number of drivers, I bought an SA-2000 open face Bell MAG-4 for my expected 1-2 DEs/year in my coupe. Consensus was closed face offers marginally more protection (most likely from an exploding airbag) w/negatives of more weight, some reduced visibility & less ventilation.
The best price I found was from www.racecarsupply.com.
The owner was friendly, helpful, and very knowledgeable. I had the helmet a few days after placing my order.

BTW, apart from flame retardant materials in the SA, it is my understanding the SAs are designed for multiple impacts as opposed to the M's single impact.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:19 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

In some PCA regions the requirement is SA95, (I believe the acceptance of M rated helmets at PCA DE's will become more and more rare) but get SA2000 which will last you five years longer. I have the Bell SR-Pro, it is a full face but doesn't have an eye shield, which I decided wasn't necessary in a coupe. Purchased at O.G.Racing, (ogracing.com). I'm a happy customer. You'll probably also want a helmet bag, ask if they will throw one in on the deal.
Old 08-13-2001, 03:24 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

I recently bought a Bell M2 SA2000. I was totally disappointed in the quality of this helmet. The lining was loose and the fit was positively horrible. Previously I was a died-in-the-wool Bell fan.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:52 PM
pete77930
Racer

Thumbs up

Anir,
If you want to make a day trip for helmet shopping, Theres a place in greenfeild Indiana called Comet kart sales. www.cometkartsales.com
They are a huge racing/gokart shop.
They have almost all Simpson and Bell helmets in stock so you can try them on. I've bought both of my Bell dominators(they weigh under 3 lbs. each w/ custom paint.) there at a good price. This is a great excuse for you to take a drive in your turbo
P.S. Don't buy a bieffe f1. I had one, looks great but no periphial vision.imho. And all bell helmets should come with a helmet bag for free from the factory, mine did.

Best of Luck,
Pete 77' 930
Old 08-13-2001, 11:02 PM
pete77930
Racer

Anir,
BTW, consider a neck brace, Support from
Sparco or MIR etc.etc. they take a lot of load off your neck during cornering and you don't notice the helmet weight as bad.
Consider it a $40.00 HANS device.
Pete 77' 930
Old 08-14-2001, 12:20 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't skimp on your helmet. After all, your brain is your second favorite organ!
Old 08-15-2001, 03:15 AM
Bob Bennett
3rd Gear

I bought from racerwholesale as well.
http://www.racerwholesale.com

Helmet came quickly, and there was a promo for a free bag which was nice. I bought the Bell Sport II, and have liked it a lot. Hasn't fogged up, hasn't gotten too hot etc. I prefer the closed face - I didn't want to have something go wrong and have my face hit the steering wheel completely unprotected...

Make sure to order the right size - it's important if you actually have to "use" the thing. I found racer wholesale's instructions on determining your size very helpful and Bell's instructions on determining if the thing fits when you get it to be pretty thorough.
-Bob
Old 08-15-2001, 01:05 PM
becker - 97'C4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Anir

Find a place where you can go and try it out mail-order is cool but it's not the same unless you know the size that fits and even then...

Also get the neck-collar I just got mine( the sparco with bump on the back) and tried it this last weekend at an event and for a while it felt weird but I quickly got used to it.

In the end the car is just a piece of metal (a nice one) that can be replaced but you don't want some of 'your' parts to get damaged.

Cheers
Old 08-16-2001, 03:24 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Anir and all others DE drivers one important piece of safety equipment that was not mentioned is a (hans device). A must encase of a high speed crash.

SWAMP MONSTER

Quick Reply: Helmet for DE events?