Sponsored by:

Child Car Seat in 96' 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 02:19 AM
Bret
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Child Car Seat in 96' 993

Anyone have experience putting a child's car seat in the backseat of a 993? I know I've seen a couple pictures of board members with them installed. Any help with techniques, specific brands or whatever would be appreciated. My 3 year old really wants to go for a ride in Daddy's "new" car (bought it a month ago), but her current car seat is virtually useless in the back. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-11-2001, 03:15 AM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 3.5 yr old, and we've had a lot of experience with car seats.

First advice - stick to the back seat. Front is an option, but see below.

The key is weight. Under 40lbs, they need a car seat, with straps etc, and really you have to have an anchor point. I had one installed in my 1981 911SC, but I think they're only in the Canadian version of the 993 as standard.

If over 40lbs, then they need a booster seat. The 993 has a three point rear belt, which is mandatory, but the key is the small "butt" area in the back seat.

The only seat we found for the 993 that was workable was the Porsche Zoom/Comfy. It's msde by Britax, and is very high quality (we have a total of 8 car seats with one child - don't ask), and we use it in other regular cars too. The back is identical to another Britax Comfy back, but the seat is narrow and fits just right. Our daughter loves it, and is happy now that she can ride in the new car, if not the old one now she's too big and the belts are not three point.

The Zoom/Comfy seat is about $200, or $400 if you get the airbag-disabling kit. I was quoted $195 at Beverly Hills Porsche, but Ogner Porsche started at $215 and matched the 195 and had plenty in stock.

The ONLY downside is that the fabric is horrible - teddys holding Porsche balloons.

As for the front seat, you CAN use it with the airbag disabler, but my STRONG recommendation - stick to the back seat.

There are other car seats and baby seats available, but they really are just for front seat operation so you need the disabler, and that's expensive and requires fitting.

Bottom line, the child needs to be 40lbs and get the Porsche Zoom/Comfy
Old 08-11-2001, 03:18 AM
Dave Crellin
Racer

ooops - almost forgot. We just did a 1200 mile long weekend trip from LA to San Francisco, with lots of freeway work and coming south on Big Sur - the car seat was perfect and our daughter slept really well even on very long journeys
Old 08-11-2001, 11:19 AM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't remember the details, but I think the other option for a booster seat is the Century brevada classic. Please confirm this because it could be another century model. It has been discussed a lot on this board, and you can check the archives.

I don't agree with the above post that you need to be 40lbs to use a booster. My 4 yr old daugher is 37lbs and there is no way she could fit into a regular baby seat. She is just too big. She has been in a booster seat for over a year now.

I use the porsche zoom/confy seat and it really does not fit perfectly in the back. It fits, but because of the seat belt buckle, the car seat doesn't fit completely flush to the actual seat of the car. The porsche zoom/confy is a very high quality though.
Old 08-11-2001, 12:08 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anir seems to have that answer for you Bret, he can tell you all the info you need on child seats in a 993. Remember if you have two children riding please get them matching seats simpson makes the best maybe you and Anir can get in on a group purchase.
SWAMP MONSTER
Old 08-11-2001, 02:23 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts
I have the Century Brevara Classic, about $75 at ToysRUs and similar. Back seat only. Fits well, but put a towel underneath to protect the leather. Wish I could post the picture, but somehow it won't work when I drag it across.
Old 08-11-2001, 03:26 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bret,

Dave summed up your options very well. As he recommended, I stick to the back seat with the kids - largely because my wife sits up front, and I didn't want to pay extra for the disabling device. I've not seen any rear-facing infant seats that would fit, but I think you have several options with booster seats for older kids like yours.

In the pic below, you can see our Century booster as well as the Porsche Zoom (about $180 through http://www.schatzmotorsport.com/ without the disabling device). Both work fine, although they are just a bit large for the space. As a result, they sit right up against the seat belt receiver. But they are secure.

The rear seats on a 993 are about booster-seat sized to begin with, so my 3 1/2 year old is getting close to losing the booster (maybe a year or two).

My kids get upset when we try to take any other car wherever we're going. In fact, my two-year old daughter always wants to sit on the Ducati as well. Our kids are getting an early start on their automotive passion.

Old 08-12-2001, 06:41 PM
Bret
Intermediate

Cool

The smile says it all! When asked, after a minute of riding silently, whether she liked riding in Daddy's "new" car the response was "Go faster, Daddy." Being an obiliging father I did. We both had smiles on our faces. Mom even seemed to be having fun. Thanks for all the help!
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Porscheride.jpg

Bret
96' 993
Old 08-12-2001, 06:49 PM
Bret
Intermediate

One more time. Just trying to figure out how to acutally insert a photo into a reply as opposed to the URL.

Bret
96' 993
Old 08-12-2001, 07:00 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bret,

That's the smile of a bona fide Porsche enthusiast! She looks like a sweetheart.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:05 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/993ChildSeat.jpg

Centruy Brevara Classic as mentioned above.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:00 PM
Bret
Intermediate

Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>Bret,

That's the smile of a bona fide Porsche enthusiast! She looks like a sweetheart.</STRONG>
Thanks. She is and I think I'm going to be in big trouble when her 16th birthday rolls around!

Old 11-03-2001, 01:40 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Sorry to drag this thread back up,but I've been searching the web for an hour and can't find anyone selling the Century Breverra Classic seat in the UK. Toys R Us over here haven't heard of Century. I beleive Century are associated with Graco, but there web site has no mention of Century. Can anyone point me in the right direction in the UK. Failing this has anyone got any reccomendations for a child seat for the rear of '96 993tt which is available in the UK.
Thanks
Old 11-04-2001, 04:16 AM
Dave Crellin
Racer

As far as I'm aware, the Century brand isn't available in the UK (we're British and bought seats for here and there).

Also, Consumer Reports here in the US wasn't sure about the belt guide on the Breverra. I think the the Zoom/Comfy is available in the UK, and it's made by Britax and high-marks in the safety/consumer reviews.
Old 11-04-2001, 01:55 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
If you check the Century website

Century

under worldwide contact information it lists

United Kingdom
Graco Children's Products
PO Box 5991
Basildon
SS14 3GJ
England
Tel: +44 (870) 9090501
Fax: +44 (870) 9090505
consumer.services@graco.co.uk www.graco.co.uk

I have the Brevarra, and it looks almost identical to the Graco Contour.

You could always drive down to Halfords/Argos/ToysRUs and try a few.

Porsche ownership is full of little surprises - I bet the joys of searching for a child seat never crossed your mind when you decided to buy a TT...

--Paul--

Quick Reply: Child Car Seat in 96' 993