Protecting Cab Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:28 AM
stormy down
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting Cab Rear Window

Cab owners,
Ordered a Cab “Window Pillow” from Mid America Motorworks (Tweeks). Looks like a pillow in the catalog picture but what actually arrived was a 4” dia “sausage”. We’re only talking a $15 item, but I just want to know if it will do as good a job of preventing rubbing as one would expect a wider pillow to do. Is the OEM Fleece for the Boxster any better?
Appreciate input from anyone who’s tried different methods to protect their rear window from scratching or creasing.
Thanks.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:41 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stormy - I have no clue, but from my experience, ANY material - including micro fiber - will leave marks on the window. I can imagine a scenario where the pillow is vibrating (rubbing) and will leave marks as well.

PLUS, dosen't this make putting the top down a two person job, one to hold the switch and one to keep the pillow in place as it goes down?

Fred
Old 09-10-2004, 12:06 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a new top (since January) and already have on crease/point on the left side where the top contacts it each time it's lowered. Since I don't always use the cab boot (lazy) I know I won't use any pillow. I was pissed off at first but have accepted it.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using "Lemon Pledge" on my window to reduce the chance of scatching. Mine tends to scratch where the top material makes contact with the folding window.

Dave
Old 09-10-2004, 01:27 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I am about to replace my top. I have been wondering if putting a tint or film on both sides of the window will protect it - thinking that the tint can be replaced easier and cheaper than the window. Anyone tried this?
Old 09-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Korny993
Advanced

FB where are you purchasing your new top. Are you doing the install yourself??I ask because I am about to go down the same road and a DIY is out of the question.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:56 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Korny993
FB where are you purchasing your new top. Are you doing the install yourself??I ask because I am about to go down the same road and a DIY is out of the question.
There is a guy here in Los Angeles (Reseda area) that will do the top only (use your old headliner) for about $1,000 installed (less if you want blue or black - I need Classic Grey). It is made in the US but looks factory, very nice and a great price. Keeps the car about 3 days. I just have to find the time to get it over to him.

You do not post your location so I don't know if this is realistic for you or not.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My top was replaced 3 years ago. I don't use any pillow. I treid a terry towel for a while but didn't think it was worth the effort. I use a microfiber towel to wipe the dust off before I lower the top (and I ensure the window folds well when I put it down. I usually have to stop mine after it's 75% open to give the top a tug to ensure I don't pinch the fabric with the pins. At that Time I ensure the window is folding nicely and then finish dropping the top. I use the boot 95% of the time.

I use Meguiar's plastic cleaner and polish on my rear window and it does a great job of removing the scratches. After 3 years it still looks like new (or at least close to it).
Old 09-10-2004, 08:48 PM
stormy down
Advanced

Tom,
I do the same, dust first, open it over halfway and karate chop along the fold then lower rest of the way. My goal is to put the boot on all the time.
Sounds like preparation will do more than any pillow being jammed in there.

What is the specific issue with the pins? They look menacing, but what actually happens to cause damage? What piece of the top are you tugging?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pins will cause wear on the top when they hit it (not to mention the top doesn't go down all the way). I tug on the top right at the level of the roof's support bar (which also ensures the bar flops into the proper place).
Old 09-10-2004, 10:03 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tom tugs, I push the bar back as top is going down to ensure proper fold.

Quick Reply: Protecting Cab Rear Window