Sponsored by:

CR-1 Radio Removal--Trafficpro Arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004 | 08:11 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Default CR-1 Radio Removal--Trafficpro Arrived!

My Trafficpro arrived today from Crutchfield's. I got the harness wired up and soldered, and I'm ready to install it. Any tips on getting the stock CR-1 radio/cassette player out? Does it take a special set of "keys".

I have a Magellan Roadmate 700 that I use in my other cars, and I take it along when travelling for use in rental cars. These little GPSs are a wonderful travel aid. I'm hoping that Magellan will have European maps in time for my next trip this spring--I drove all over France and Germany last year with no city maps, and it can be very frustrating...

BobbyT
Old 09-09-2004 | 08:16 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes it takes a special set up keys. You can get them at the dealer. Or maybe Advaced or something.
Old 09-09-2004 | 08:47 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

It's fairly easy to remove the CR-1. You'll need a very small flat head screw driver.

1) Gently pry off the plastic trim ring around the radio. This will expose the mounting points behind it.
2) On either side of the radio will be a "gravity" lock. Basically a flat steel hook that drops down and locks the radio into the frame.
3) You will need to raise these locking plates up. There should be a pin that sticks out on either side. Using the flat head screw driver raise both sides up and pull the radio out.

If the CR-1 is old, the pin may not stay raised and you might have to hold both pins up and then tug. This requires three hands.

That's it. Takes 2 minutes.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 09-10-2004 | 12:08 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I've used to remove my CR-210. I'm not sure it'll work on the CR-1 though. Good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7920341780
Old 09-10-2004 | 12:23 AM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

BobbyT,

I plan on ordering a TP this weekend. Did you order a specific harness from Crutchfield or does the existing harness hook up directly since the TP was OEM in Europe? It looks like Crutchfield lists a VW/Audi harness for the car?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 09-10-2004 | 01:34 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Paul,
Crutchfield's includes a harness marked "VW/Audi", and instructions on how to wire it up to the Trafficpro harness. I've got that part done. The instructions had a couple of mistakes, but not too difficult to sort out.

I tried a couple of locations for the GPS antenna. So far I like it on the left side of the dash, next to the VIN, with the cable tucked behind and around the end of the dash. It is very unobtrusive there.

BobbyT
Old 09-10-2004 | 02:19 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

BobbyT,
Did you have any difficulty locating the Speed signal and Reverse signal wires from your car for the Trafficpro? Where are the wires located? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-10-2004 | 02:28 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Jason,
I haven't gotten that far, but I'll keep you posted. I still can't see exactly how to get the old CR-1 radio out. I think I see the gravity locks that Peter mentioned, clearly visible on each side of the radio front. With them unlocked, the radio is still held firmly in the dash.

BobbyT
Old 09-10-2004 | 02:36 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Thanks BobbyT! Please keep me posted as I ordered one (Trafficpro) myself today.
Old 09-10-2004 | 10:58 AM
914und993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul -

My 1996 993 came with a CR-210. The car's harness plugs right into the Traffic Pro. For the speed signal, "backlight", and reverse signal, you need to add a contact for each of these to the stock harness plug. Its not hard to do, you get the right parts (they are little metal pins) from Porsche (there is a part#, don't have it at hand) - they cost about 50 cents apiece. You solder a wire to each of the three, and then push the pin in through the rear of the harness plug where it will permanently seat itself. Not hard to do.

Having said that, all you really need to hook up is the speed signal. Mine works fine without the reverse signal hooked up, and the "backlight" just causes the TP to switch from black letters on lighted background, to black background with lighted letters - but you can set that manually anyway.
Old 09-10-2004 | 05:18 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

BobbyT,

Once both PINs are raised, there should be nothing else holding the unit in. Make sure that both pins are lifted to their highest points. It may be snug. I would not recommend a sharp tug but certainly pull on it a bit. I would grasp the unit by placing two fingers into the cassette opening and pinching with the thumb on the lower portion. Pull straight out.

Failing that, see if you can wiggle one side loose and then the other. Sorta slowly pull side to side. I only did this a month ago and I don't recall anything else that I had to do for the unit to slip out.

Thanks,
peter
Old 09-10-2004 | 08:35 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm still stymied trying to get the old CR-1 radio out. I took the car by two local "stereo" shops, but their "techs" didn't have a clue. I just got off the phone with Crutchfield's, and their tech said it takes two U-shaped tools to unlock the unit and pull it from the dash--contrary to Peter's actual experience in removing his CR-1. I've sacrificed a little bit of skin to the cassette opening already in trying to pull the radio out with the little gravity locks released, but something still seems to be holding it--it doesn't budge.

Any other ideas?

BobbyT
Old 09-11-2004 | 12:02 AM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Well, I'm stumped. Mine was so easy. The local Porsche dealership was kind enough to demonstrate how to remove it and then it was pretty easy to replicate once I got home. Here's a shot of what the side of the stereo looks like, there shouldn't be anything that could catch:

Old 09-11-2004 | 12:28 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hello Peter,
The picture is a great help in visualizing what the side aspect of the radio looks like. I'll try to pull it out using some homemade tools, and if that doesn't work, I'll visit the dealer on Monday to solicit their help.

Thanks again--you have been most helpful.

BobbyT
Old 09-11-2004 | 01:02 AM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

I think I figured it out. My mounting frame has no top notches. As such, I move the PINs to the top and the unit slides out. But I dug up an older frame that I don't use anymore and noticed notches at the top. As such, move your PIN to the CENTER as closely as you can and start tugging. That should finally do it.

Sorry for the error, didn't realize my frame was an oddity.

Last edited by TamiyaGuy; 09-11-2004 at 01:21 AM.

Quick Reply: CR-1 Radio Removal--Trafficpro Arrived!