Sponsored by:

gearbox oil, grinding transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default gearbox oil, grinding transmission

this is well covered territory, i know. but the most active old posts discussed how some were having trouble sliding into 2nd or 3rd without grinding when the car is cold. i have that trouble all the time, warmed or cold. i've avoided it by leaning the shifter against the entrance to 2nd or 3rd, waiting till i could 'feel' when it was ready to slid in. this is successful. i should add that shifting above 4000rpm also seems to help, especially 2nd. 3rd always requires that hesitation.

my question is if this is still normal...seeing the tranny is mildly sensitive even at operating temp. i'm having the gear oil changed tomorrow. midwest eurosport suggests Castrol Syntec. i've read here that Redline is the goods to go with. i had a tech test drive it once to see what he thought. he said the trans is smooth- no problem. however, i rode with him and it he drove it like he was trying to shave five tenths off his test route record. i don't drive quite so 'spiritedly' on my way to work everyday. i say it's still a bit notchy. i'm a traffic reporter. he's a porsche tech. i think i'm right

anyone have a fresh perspective?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:42 PM
garychios
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to change the gear oil myself as well. What is recommended for a street car? I want to keep the synchros all happy!!, along with all the gears!

As for grinding clutch. I would bleed the system with new fluid.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:55 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I have had good luck with Mobil 1 75W90 synthetic. I believe this is what the factory used originally, FWIW. There have been reports of people straying from Mobil 1, some actually returning back to it with better results.

Keep in mind Porsches Getrag made gearboxes have never been known for ultra quick shifting. Definately have the oil changed. More often if you have LSD..
Old 09-08-2004, 04:32 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

I used Motorex Prisma ZX 75W90 synthetic gear oil and it works well.

See also http://p-car.com/diy/transmissionfluid/
Old 09-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched back to Mobil 1 from Motul Synthetic, got a slight improvement. It still grinds going into second gear when cold unless I pause in the neutral gate.

Has anyone tried Swepco? I know it is dino oil, but it works really well for the older boxes.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:14 AM
BlkC4S
Instructor

I had swepco 201 for a while and switched back to Mobil 1. I found Mobil 1 to be much better when the gearbox is cold.

My first shift into 2nd can grind. I can't explain it, but I've found just pushing the clutch in, shifting from Neutral to 2nd to first and then letting the clutch out on the first cold start seems to help. I have no idea why.

Originally Posted by Pete Lech
I switched back to Mobil 1 from Motul Synthetic, got a slight improvement. It still grinds going into second gear when cold unless I pause in the neutral gate.

Has anyone tried Swepco? I know it is dino oil, but it works really well for the older boxes.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:02 PM
hatchy
Racer

I have opposite problem--I only have notchy shifts when the gear oil is hot. When the oil is cold, I have no issues at all. Any suggestions? Want to hold off on new synchros for as long as possible...
Old 09-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just put a fresh load of Redline in. i'll give it a go and report back.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:34 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Redline in mine and it cleared up a grind between all gears when I first bought my car. I was thinking the synchros were shot.

After the oil change, the grinding went away and the tranny felt like new! Hope you have similar results... Good Luck!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/114693-first-diy-done-wow-what-a-difference.html
Old 09-10-2004, 08:58 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 256 Posts

Tried Swepco then went back to Mobil1 75-90W. Definitely recommend Mobil1. No need to fool around here...

Quick Reply: gearbox oil, grinding transmission