993 Forum 1995-1998

Car seat placement in the back seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 09:26 PM
Konrad 996tt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Car seat placement in the back seat

Does anybody have tips on mounting a children's car seat on rear seat of a 993? There seems to be a mounting anchor for the teather strap behind the rear deck. Do you really have to mount an unsightly hole? Any ideas?

Konrad
Old 06-18-2002, 12:53 PM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

I'm in the process of updating this DIY with far more detail. I'm going to take final pics tonight and hopefully post soon. You can see the work in progress at my website. Click on Maintenance, then the child seat picture. I wanted to get this done sooner, but I watched a movie last night instead of getting on the computer.

One tip I'll add that's not on the site yet: it IS significantly better to move the female portion of the seat belt to the outside of the seat. That way you can get a good pull on the lap belt strap (with Channel Locks in my case!) to cinch it up as tightly as possible.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:27 PM
Griffin Brown
Advanced

Konrad, don't know how old your kids are, but mine have been riding in the back without car seats since three. They seemed just as snug in the little seats in the back of my car as they did in the car seat in my wife's Suburban. I know there is some risk on the ticket front, but sure seemed to work fine. Of course, if you're talking about a new born, then it's a different story.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:57 PM
Patentman
Instructor

How about putting a car seat in the back of a 993 cabriolet? Has anyone been able to do this while still being able to put the top down (or starting with the top down and then putting the seat in?).

I have put one car seat in the passengers rear seat, and moved the passenger seat to its full forward position. This works ok, but the child seat is cocked at a slight angle and the passenger seat is virtually unusable for an adult. The rear shoulder and seat belt seem to hold this child seat in place ok. However, I dont think I can put the top down.

Of course, I would remove the windscreen first, but wanted to know if anyone has been successful using a child seat in a cabriolet with he top down. Thanks.

--
Barry Chapin
Barry.Chapin@techpat.com
1997 993 cab.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:01 PM
Patentman
Instructor

Oh yeah, one more thought (or question) - Is it illegal to put a car seat in the front seat (I live in Massachusetts). It seems that for a 993, the front seat (assuming disabled air bag) would be a safer place for a car seat than in the rear of the car, but I am not sure of the law on this (and Im a lawyer to boot :-).

Suppose a family only owned two two seater cars, like a corvette and an MR2. Would it be illegal to put the car seat up front in such cars to take young kids places.?
Old 06-18-2002, 06:04 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
I picked up a set of mounting brackets and a sparco lap belt to mount my child seat in the rear. Unfortunately the harness buckle doesn't fit very flush and takes some work to mount where it isn't in the childs back.

I haven't attempted any harness work yet. Is there a way to attach the harness in a coupe without chopping holes?
Old 06-19-2002, 11:38 AM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Patentman:
<strong>Oh yeah, one more thought (or question) - Is it illegal to put a car seat in the front seat (I live in Massachusetts). It seems that for a 993, the front seat (assuming disabled air bag) would be a safer place for a car seat than in the rear of the car, but I am not sure of the law on this (and Im a lawyer to boot :-).

Suppose a family only owned two two seater cars, like a corvette and an MR2. Would it be illegal to put the car seat up front in such cars to take young kids places.?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would have to say it's legal to have a child in the front seat. It may not be safe unless there is an airbag deactivation switch. That is the case with trucks. If all you own is a pickup, there is no problem putting the seat up front (rear facing, depending on weight of child). They even have child tether straps on the back panel of regular cabs - on the passenger side and in the middle. I believe they are federally mandated, and have been since about 1999. The Explorer has the tether brackets for the rear bench seats on the floor of the cargo area.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:26 PM
Poohbear
Track Day

My wife and I have been successful getting 2 child seats in my '97 cab. (windstop removed, of course). We put them in with the top down (easier to get at), and there's no problem when we put the top up. Our almost-3 year old gets the Britax Star-riser booster seat (chosen by advice from this board) behind the drivers seat. Like me, she loves riding in the Porsche...its a little short on leg room for her and I, but she doesn't seem to mind at all. Our 3 month old's car seat fits well behind the passenger seat, with alot of futzing around to get the belt tight. My wife and I are pleasantly surprised -- never thought we had bought another "family car"..

PB
'97 C2 Cab
Rennlist Member # 020425-3896

Quick Reply: Car seat placement in the back seat