Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have to pay tax on a 993 purchased out of my state?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 10:52 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, did I misunderstand. There's a big difference (cost wise) between 5-7% sales tax and the few hundred bucks paid for the annual (tax deductable) ad valorem. Thought the topic was tax on a purchase.

This is one good reason to buy a used car (to register in GA at least) from a private party; avoiding that extra couple $thousand in sales tax if bought from a dealer.

Last edited by ecobb993; 08-29-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:02 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mlincoln
I find myself in the odd position of agreeing with Agro. While it is natural to wish to avoid getting dinged by taxes, "taxes are the price we pay for living in a civilized society" (Oliver Wendall Holmes).

FWIW, the rules in Utah are you either pay the difference (if any) in sales taxes between the purchase state and Utah, or else you turn in your registration and plates from the other state (in the case of an imported vehicle when you move in) showing that it is a used car not recently purchased.

When living in Europe for a year I bought a US-spec Saab. Upon importing it to the USA I did not have to pay Utah sales tax because I turned in my one year old Swedish registration and plates (well, they let me keep the plates as a memory) with proof of payment of Swedish VAT (way high, greatly exceeding Utah's puny rate!).

Mike Lincoln
i have tried to stay sort of out of all this, because the thread got way beyond what I was seeking advice about....i dont want to break the law, or otherwise be a slime ball...whatever the rules are, i will abide by them...

but let me just say to your oliver wendall holmes comment, if you saw the amount i pay the gov't in taxes vs. what i use in govt programs/benefits, you would not be preaching to me about a civilized society!! :-)
Old 08-29-2004, 06:39 PM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

purchased my C4S about 6 weeks ago in New Jersey. I had it trucked to Fl., (where I live). As soon as you try to register it they will whack you for your states tax.

Wishful thinking...

mike
Old 08-29-2004, 09:39 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
...if you saw the amount i pay the gov't in taxes vs. what i use in govt programs/benefits, you would not be preaching to me about a civilized society!! :-)
This is a very slippery slope and we probably should not go there as we are on the verge of being way but...you did so I'll just offer this: look at how federal tax dollars are being distributed. I think defense, social security and now interest on the debt consume the highest proportion of the budget. In which of those are you not a beneficiary?

No flame intended, just thought I would offer the response since you brought it up. Frankly, when it comes to our debt to Uncle Sam, we are all pretty much in the same boat on 1040 ROI.

Now, the State budget is a different story. I was on a State advisory committee when my state (CA) had a large surplus. The issue of returing some of the surplus to tax payers came up. The question was do we lower car registration fees or do we invest in social programs that build community infrastructure. I advoacted for the later as the $200 back in my pocket paled in comparison to the millions that would be going to be pumped into community programs that I would not benefit from. I lost. I am happy to have the $200, but it was bad policy and now that our state is in a deep multi-billion $ hole, the "Governator" is still protecting my $200. Short sighted IMHO.

And as to the vehicle reg fee and sales tax, I say loop-holes are just well disguized incentives. Use them, and the system to your advantage - that's why it is there, as a service to the public and an example of your tax dollars at work.

Also, it's good to see Ray back to his old form, I've missed him and his caustic, intollerant cut to the quick comments, almost as much as Jimbob - I'm not kidding!
Old 08-29-2004, 10:09 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
This is a very slippery slope and we probably should not go there as we are on the verge of being way but...you did so I'll just offer this: look at how federal tax dollars are being distributed. I think defense, social security and now interest on the debt consume the highest proportion of the budget. In which of those are you not a beneficiary?

No flame intended, just thought I would offer the response since you brought it up. Frankly, when it comes to our debt to Uncle Sam, we are all pretty much in the same boat on 1040 ROI.

Now, the State budget is a different story. I was on a State advisory committee when my state (CA) had a large surplus. The issue of returing some of the surplus to tax payers came up. The question was do we lower car registration fees or do we invest in social programs that build community infrastructure. I advoacted for the later as the $200 back in my pocket paled in comparison to the millions that would be going to be pumped into community programs that I would not benefit from. I lost. I am happy to have the $200, but it was bad policy and now that our state is in a deep multi-billion $ hole, the "Governator" is still protecting my $200. Short sighted IMHO.

And as to the vehicle reg fee and sales tax, I say loop-holes are just well disguized incentives. Use them, and the system to your advantage - that's why it is there, as a service to the public and an example of your tax dollars at work.

Also, it's good to see Ray back to his old form, I've missed him and his caustic, intollerant cut to the quick comments, almost as much as Jimbob - I'm not kidding!
we are talking about state taxes here, not federal... most of my state taxes go to fund programs that i dont agree with here in TX...but agree, we are getting way off topic...this is better suited for a conversation over beers...
Old 08-30-2004, 12:40 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
...this is better suited for a conversation over beers...

Hope we get the chance some time!
Old 08-30-2004, 05:18 PM
David '96 993
Pro

The only legal "loophole" in California (don't know about other states) that I could comfortably sleep at night over is if you buy a vehicle from a direct blood relative. There are no sales taxes to pay. Only processing fee's. This came straight from the DMV.

I sure wish my father was into Porsche's, but unfortunately he isn't
Old 08-30-2004, 07:12 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

State sales tax ? What's that....? Oh ya, that's why I moved north over the border from Massachusetts to New Hampshire ! 0% sales tax, and 0% income tax. And not it is not made up for in any other areas - Registration fees for my 993 are about the same as my Toyota pick-up.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:04 AM
Agro1
Banned

Originally Posted by adsc4s
I guess owning a Porsche doesn't automatically give you class. Lighten up.
No it sure doesn't - but that's a nice assumption...Since you have the $$ to afford a Porsche, you automatically think that puts you in a different socio-economic status than someone else ?? It's morons like you that even USE the word "class" that give Porsche owners a bad name.

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Why would I waste my time proving my "point?" It was you who made a brash, unsupported generalization based on nothing more than supposition. As it happens, I know your statement is incorrect & posted so readers (including any impressionable youth researching registration laws) would not be mislead. I'm sure that before you've finished researching the 50 states you'll acknowledge your error.

OTOH, I'm also sure no one will think any worse of you if you admit your statement was not researched and may have been inaccurate.
Ok Dan, since I made what you call a brash unsupported statement - prove me wrong. Just saying "I know your statement is incorrect" only proves you know nothing; or is your specialty motor vehicle law ?? Furthermore, if you were in fact concerned with what other readers will read here, then enlighten THEM and set the record straight. Because you (as usual) have added nothing to the data base of knowledge here for future readers researching vehicle registration, if anything you've made an ambiguous "generalization". So to expand the wealth of knowledge on Rennlist, please cite for us the state's vehicle code that says one can operate a motor vehicle registered out of state indefinitely.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:44 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Agro1
No it sure doesn't - but that's a nice assumption...Since you have the $$ to afford a Porsche, you automatically think that puts you in a different socio-economic status than someone else ?? It's morons like you that even USE the word "class" that give Porsche owners a bad name.
I honestly don't care what you think about me because you don't know me but let's stop right now with the assumptions. First of all, I do have the money to afford my Porsche but so does 99% of the people on this board. So I guess we are all in the same socio-economic class. Secondly, I am certainly not a moron. Thirdly, I have class and I had it way before I was a Porsche owner, as do 99% of the people on this board. So I guess that puts you in the 1% minority.

All of this anger and name calling because I told you to lighten up. Agro, you really need to attend some anger management classes before someone takes that chip on your shoulder and shoves it up your a$$.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

...It's morons like you that even USE the word "class" that give Porsche owners a bad name.
Geeeze Agro, are you off your meds or what? All those who read Adsc4s post and assumed he was referencing socio-economic status indicate by saying "nay." All those who thought Ad was discussing "class" within the context of a person who treats others with respect, dignity and general good will, say "aye" - The "ayes" have it. Agro, you are WAY out of line on this one - but you must know that already and I'm certain that you have heard this from others - outside of Rennlist - from time to time.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:26 AM
Agro1
Banned

Addison, this has nothing to do with the "chip on my shoulder", it has everything to do with the fact that you associate owning a Porsche and "class"; or even use the term for that matter. A Porsche requires a certain amount of $$ to own, which is the reason many on this board own them. You clearly fit into that category, otherwise you wouldn't use the analogy between a high dollar car and someone's socio-economic status in regards to how they behave/act. So next time you look down your nose and make dogmatic, narrow minded remarks such as using the word "class" - remember that guy with no class may just break that stuck up nose of yours.

Originally Posted by fbfisher
..." All those who thought Ad was discussing "class" within the context of a person who treats others with respect, dignity and general good will, say "aye" -
Usually that's called MANNERS - and I have none, on the internet - no secret there.... But now we're talking semantics. I know what Addison meant, and so does Addison. But you can do your best to live with your eyes wide shut and your fingers jammed in your ears...
Old 08-31-2004, 02:37 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok Dan, since I made what you call a brash unsupported statement - prove me wrong.
Time to back up your mouth with your wallet. Although I've been willing to provide a great deal of professional time & advice for free to Rennlisters both on & off line, you're not in that category. You claimed that "EVERY state has a time limitation on how long you can operate a motor vehicle registered in another state." I responded that your generalization was inaccurate. As I see it, to prove yourself right, you need to research the laws of 50 states. To prove you wrong I'll need just 1 state.

So here's the simple deal, IF you've got the cahoneys. We each deposit $1,000 cash with an escrow agent. If I don't prove you wrong, you keep my grand. However, if I do prove you wrong, your $1,000 goes to support Rennlist & you agree to be permanently banned.

Your move, big guy.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:46 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Usually that's called MANNERS - and I have none, on the internet - no secret there.... But now we're talking semantics.
Yes, Luke, you clearly have no manners. Oh, this certainly isn't semantics. You either have manners or you don't. Clearly you do not. And I highly doubt your lack of manners stops with the internet.

My statement was clearly based on your lack of manners. I could care less what socio-economic class you are in and I certainly don't feel any need to share mine. Stop trying to think for everyone else and try thinking for yourself before you open up your big mouth or keyboard.

You are a moron.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:33 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Addison, this has nothing to do with the "chip on my shoulder", it has everything to do with the fact that you associate owning a Porsche and "class";
Hey Agrovating - don't worry, you prove this statement patently false.

Hey, what are you going to do about Dan's challenge? I'll throw in another grand that says you don't have the ***** to do it.

Quick Reply: Do I have to pay tax on a 993 purchased out of my state?