RUF wheels by OZ, why they are HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 03:25 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pong,

I have some pics from the event, and I can share them with you

The highlight from the event (at least to me personally) was the various generations of Ferrari F1 cars running together at Laguna Seca. It was my first time seeing the F1 cars on the track and it was very exciting, never seen anything like that before (makes me want to go to Indy next year )

As far as the wheels go, I have no clue on how heavy the RUF wheels are but I think they do look nice. I just don't buy into Asgar's explanation that you mentioned above but that's just me
Old 08-16-2004, 04:00 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

just a theory - you may want a more solid less bendable wheel at 200mph+. simply because when you hit something on the roadway at those speeds you are mroe likely to bend a light weight wheel... i buy that explanation - but not the performance one.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:01 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Here a few of the pics that I took from today's event, Pong

Old 08-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Why would Manthey Racing go all the way to order special lightweight 1 piece BBS wheels ( 15lbs.!) for their new street conversions? They are not american, and they believe in reducing unsprung weight obviously!

I have to think Manthey know what they are doing.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi There,

Good debate.

I agree that in theory lighter wheels should provide an advantage.

I do however still question why Porsche fitted Speedline wheels (on the weighty side) to the 993 RS and GT2 (albiet with magnesium centres) and Sport Design's to the GT3 Mark1. I understand from the grand master Viken that these wheels are fairly heavy - even by other options availbale in their day.

All three of these cars have been heralded by motor noters the world over as perhaps three of Porsches most involving drives (as far as production cars go) in the last 10 years.

My point simply is that Porsche should know well enough about unspung weight - its not a new concept. Wheel weight I suspect is a trade. Durability I think is a valid factor - especially at speed. The "feel" of the wheel must also be a factor I am guessing and perhaps the heavier wheels have an advantage here. Physics would determine that braking and acceleration could suffer from weight so perhaps thats the down side.

I suspect there is no right or wrong here and that there is a compromise as always with ligher versus heavier. Naturally as materials and technology improve this may no longer be the case....

Thats my $0.02 spent.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:53 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I agree with your thoughts Macca. I presumed you were reffering to the 996 GT2 in your first post, since the 993GT2 wheels are fairly light ~11kg for the 11" rears. The 996GT2 wheels on the other hand are very heavy - as you say Porsche know what they are doing and have the pick of the latest technology. Powerful Porsches for the street are fitted with sturdy wheels and that seems to be more important than the unsprung weight issue (although Porsche made quite a song and dance about the ceramic brake discs reducing unsprung weight on the 996GT2). I have been told by a few people who I consider knowledgable that the primary reason for my cars propensity to crush the stock 993GT2 mag wheels is the extra weight of the 993tt and all the torque being ground into our potholed roads.

Quick Reply: RUF wheels by OZ, why they are HEAVY