Sponsored by:

OT: Detail Shop Minneapolis?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 02:20 PM
james993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Detail Shop Minneapolis?

I am going to be moving to Minneapolis at the end of the summer. Does anyone have any recommendations for a detail shop there?

I think it is going to be a wee bit chilly up there in the winter; so I don't think I am going to really want to get out there to wash it myself.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2004, 03:06 PM
jusafan
Instructor

Where are you going to live? That will make a difference. I'm from Minneapolis, though I don't live there now. I can get my brother to recommend a place if I know where you are going to live.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:09 PM
james993
Intermediate

Jusafan,

I am going to be living next to the University of Minnesota campus on the West Bank.

Thanks for the help, I would definitely appreciate the recommendation... there seem to be a lot of detail shops, and from past experience most places don't even manage an average job of it.

Much appreciated!

James
Old 08-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

James -

Don't do it!

If you value your 993, you will find decent storage, put the car on jackstands, and do all the other things needed to store a car about 6 months.

Go buy yourself a winter beater and let it take the abuse of below zero temps, road salt(!) and slip sliding drivers.

My .02 worth - lived there 6 yrs.

best wishes
Old 08-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

James:

Another option is to rent a spot in a heated garage near your home or work. When I lived in Kenwood - downtown Mpls. adjacent - I found a 15 story residence with several levels of heated parking and a washing bay just a few blocks from my home. On the days when the roads were wet or the car would pick up salt, I quickly washed it before parking. A much more enjoyable alternative to letting someone else put swirl marks in my paint. Don't forget to buy winter floormats.

Enjoy the move, and don't forget to try Lucia's on 31st and Hennipenn Ave.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:06 PM
jusafan
Instructor

The advice from the others is good. But I'll check with my brother and get back to you in a day or so.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:59 AM
james993
Intermediate

Thank you to all for the good advice... I think I am a step ahead of you! I am going to be taking my Jeep out there. (Sorry, should have put that in my first post) I think it will be a little better choice for Minneapolis winters. I have also already found underground heated parking for it. Unfortunately no wash bay though. Which means I am going to have to do something to keep the salt off the car.

Jusafan: I'd still appreciate any recommendations!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:19 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

James,
Welcome to the Twin Cities. We have a very active Porsche club and I'm sure you will enjoy the cities. Go to NordStern.org and sign up for the discussion boards. I'm more into racing than waxing but someone on there will have an answer for you. Or, if you are in town next weekend, stop by our concurs event. For sure someone there will be able to help you out.

Feel free to PM me if there is anything I can do to help out with your move.
Jim

Quick Reply: OT: Detail Shop Minneapolis?