question on removal of brake dust shields

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 01:09 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on removal of brake dust shields

i've been considering removing my brake dust shields. what are the down sides of doing this?

The upside of course is better cooling (which i could use on the track).

Is one of the downsides that when you run over a puddle of water you can warp your rotors? if so has that happened to anyone?

Also how easy are they to remove?

Thanks in advance - as always.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 08-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Bad idea. Downside is that when you run in heavy rain, when you hit the brakes you will get a "wet braking delay" where for maybe a second or more you get no braking till the water is wiped off the rotors. Have experienced it on an older 911 and on an Audi A4 that has some of the biggest (littlest?) pieces of garbage splash guards I've ever seen (a factory upgrade kit to increase the splash guard size helped a bit but not completely).

Spend some money and buy brake cooling ducts that duct air onto the rotor (pref. the rotor eye where it can be forced out thru the rotor internals)
Old 08-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took them off my 71 and 84, and did not notice any negative effects on braking or rotor warpage. If the 993 is like my others, the rotor must be removed to take of the shield. I am planning on removing the shields when I replace my rotors (probably in the next year or do).
Old 08-09-2004, 04:59 PM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

I took off the rear when I upgraded to RS brakes and calipers. No issues yet, even in rain, I retained the fronts.

No you do not need to remove rotors to remove. 4 - 10mm head bolts I believe. Did this about 6 months ago.

Andy
Old 08-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took mine off when I installed Big Reds a few weeks ago. Had one good drive in hard rain and noticed no delay in braking.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:28 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

anybody recall what these things weigh ? is there an added benefit of weight removal too?

i'd like to hear from more people.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:37 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Boris, these are stamped steel (thin) and weigh virtually nada.. I would keep them on if it rained from time to time, but this is Calyfornia after all... (I know, I just jinxed my next track day weather)

I have been looking at mine every time I have the wheels off, thinking of a way to mod the factory one to get more air with minimum drag penalty.. There is some room for NACA ducts on the lower half, IIRC..
Old 08-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't remove the rear one. It also acts as a heat shield for the camber link bushing.

I have the front ones off on my race car but honestly can't say it helped any great deal.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

The 993 cupcars retain the shields but they are modified. All the material is removed except for thin portions that extend out to go between the rotors and rubber boots(as Greg mentioned). I have raced in the rain(sometimes heavy) and haven't notice anything wierd.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:37 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 303 Posts

Say Bye Bye to the brake shields.

First, they are ease to remove. Go to P-Car and read the DIY on brakes. Check your brakes, clean your brakes, bleed your brakes, and then while you are there, remove the brake shields. On the rear, there are two phillip screws that hold the disc on. Remove the screws, then the rear discs, and then the shield.

Second, I have had my off for years and have not had any problems. I track my car three to four times a year and again have not suffered any suspension problem. I recently changed my suspension and did not see any bushing problems.

Third, it is easier to clean the inside of the wheels without the sharp brake shields. When I detail the car, I like to clean the inside of the Gemballa competitions. The shields would always cut my knuckles. Therefore, say Bye-Bye to the sheild. This is the reason why I removed them.

However, if you are doing this for weight reduction, then do not do it. I agree with Chris, they weigh "nada"

Kevin
Old 08-10-2004, 12:24 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

my reasoning for considering this is for added brake cooling - so i guess do you believe it noticeably adds cooling?

Cheers,
Boris

Quick Reply: question on removal of brake dust shields