Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a speeding ticket at 110mph, options???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 12:28 AM
Levent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got a speeding ticket at 110mph, options???

OK gentle people, today going from San Diego to LA got a ticket on I-5 for speeding in excess of 100 mph at 110 mph. She said it took her 4 miles to catch up. She also said I was weaving, no signals, etc. but none of this written on the ticket. Anyone has CA experience with this and what should I do. Can I avoid this getting on my record by going to traffic school? This is my first speeding ticket.
Old 07-28-2001, 12:38 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it all depends on what she wrote you for?..ie. how fast..I think if she wrote you for under 15 mph...you should be able to do trafic school on line......www.traficschool.com...
Old 07-28-2001, 01:10 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Generally, when you pop the speed limit in excess of 30 MPH, you could get a Reckless Driving charge which is one level under a DUI. You didn't get that: You were fortunate.

In addition, with this > 100 mph infraction, you may not be able to go to Traffic School. Contact whomever has jurisdiction in your case and inquire on Traffic School. If they say yes, you are OK. You still have to pay the fine but it won't go on your record. If they won't let you go to traffic school, and if you have had any other speeding tickets, I'd suggest getting a lawyer to plan a winning strategy. You may have to go to court on this one, and if you do, DONT GO ALONE. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2001, 01:29 AM
Levent
Advanced

Ticket says: Exceeding 100mph, approximate 110mph on 65mph zone. That is it. Jurisdiction is in San Marcos.

This is my first ticket of any kind.
Old 07-28-2001, 01:48 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe California law states that the officer has to be exact in the speed you were going. Doesn't sound like she was that 'exact'

I would first see if you can take traffic school, then contact an attorney and see what he/she says. The San Marcos courts are off of San Marcos Blvd, behind 'Resturant Row' - South of highway 78.

Rick
Old 07-28-2001, 02:10 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I would probably say for you to count your blessings. I don't know how it is in CA, but here in Texas, you'd more than likely be hauled off in cuffs.

Consider yourself lucky.

-Matt
Old 07-28-2001, 02:14 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

You should check out an organization called the National Motorists Association (http://www.motorists.com) Someone told me about the group and they have a kit that you can get to help you get out of your ticket.

I haven't tried the kit yet, but from what I've read, it bascially makes you a pain in the *** to the cop, requiring them to show up multiple times to get documents, search records, etc. Eventually, you hope, the cop will get so frustrated that s/he won't show up and you'll get off.

I'd be interested in finding if the kit works. Also, have you invested in a Valentine 1? It saved me several times already. Once, I was doing 120 when it went bezerk and I slowed down. A cop rolled up beside me a few minutes later.

Jeff
Old 07-28-2001, 08:31 AM
Carlos
Banned

Ditto on the National Motorists Assn. Great group. They killed the double nickel. Long time member, money well spent. They have great info on speeding defense for all the states. If it's really bad they have lawyers who specialize in speeding defense in the ads in the bulletin.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:10 AM
JM
Track Day

Traffic school is not always the answer, my wife went to traffic school to get out of the points, which she did, but the ticket still went to the insurance and upped her rate. The ticket really needs to be changed to a non-point violation, but with a LARGE fine to make it worthwhile to the prosecutor. You need proffessional legal assistance.
Old 07-28-2001, 04:18 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Go to court with a lawyer in tow. Have your councel propose to the judge that you will take one full year of PCA Drivers Ed events. This will surely make you a better driver and the court should drop all charges in exchange for this agreement.
'97 993 speed yellow
Old 07-29-2001, 02:04 AM
cstreetdude
Intermediate

Unhappy

I wish I could give you some good news. I got a ticket on I-5 between LA and the Bay Area going 105. You have to appear in court and the ticket cost is $1400 at least for the 105 ticket I had. I think anything over 100 is the same price. I got half the fine b/c I didn't make up a lame excuse like the three people before me. I told the judge I was just being stupid and he cut it in half. Then he suspended my license for 30 days .

The best part is when your insurance company finds out. My first one did not renew my policy and then my insurance doubled. It is totally lame since I have never been in an accident. I got my ticket four years ago, it goes off after three years but it is a 2 point violation. I am glad its all behind me. Get a good lawyer, maybe you can get it reduced or something. I had to go all the way to Coalinga for about 5 minutes of court time. It was not a fun experience. Also if you get another 100+ ticket in the next five years they start suspending you licence for six months at a time.
Old 07-30-2001, 01:30 PM
mjc
Intermediate

As cstreetdude mentioned, you may need to appear in court for this. You will probably receive a followup mailing in a few days with specific instructions (amt. of fine or appear in court).

My coworker got nailed a little while ago up here on 280 doing in excess of 120, he was pulled over and told the cop it was a clear afternoon with no cars on the road so he opened it up ...the cop wrote him up but for doing 105 and said he'll probably wind up in court to explain.
Old 07-30-2001, 02:06 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

You definitely need a lawyer for this one. Otherwise as the previous posts indicate, you are looking at a serious fine and possible suspension of your license.

The lawyer will talk to the Prosecutor and Officer to see if a plea bargain at a reduced charge can be worked out. Most are receptive to the idea since it reduces their work load and gets them through the docket faster.

Of course, there is no guarantee of that, but it is better than going in there trying to represent yourself.

Just out of curiosity, when the PO asked you if you knew how fast you were going, what did you say? Trust me, they write down anything that can be used to incriminate you.

I am not an attorney - I only play one on a television show.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:06 PM
Cris
Track Day

Under no circumstance should you go in and admit that you were doing triple digit speed. She aproximated your speed and it is a crap shoot for her to prove it at best. I would go into the pre-trial hearing and tell the DA you were doing 89 tops. Tell him you are willing to do the driving school thing and/or pay a fine. If that does not fly schedule the trial and postpone it a couple of times. During that period of time talk to an attorney and let him negotioate the penalty. 100mph + is not a minor infraction and you need to get your guns loaded and prepare to defend yourself.

Been there done that, on a long lonely (or I so I thought) stretch of I 70 in the middle of nowhere (kansas)
cris
Cris
Old 07-30-2001, 09:35 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Mine was 110Mph on I-5 between LA and the middle of nowhere with 5 other cars I did not know. I was the SLOWEST. They all went to jail, but they let me go because "I had a good attitude".

1. Court
2. Suspended License
3. Huge Fine
4. Doubled insurance rate for 3 years.

Sucks.

Go really fast 0-40Mph, much more fun and no tickets!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Got a speeding ticket at 110mph, options???