Sponsored by:

Visit to Porsche Leipzig

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004 | 10:42 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Lightbulb Visit to Porsche Leipzig

Hi gentlemen!

I'll have a possibility to visit the Porsche factory in Leipzig end of this year. I cannot imagine there is a good reason for not jumping on such an opportunity!
Are they some of you who did it before? Do you have some good advice about the city, the visit, the hotels? Did you go there with you Porsche?

Thanks for help!

JP
Old 07-29-2004 | 10:45 AM
Agro1
Banned

3.8 huh, nice ride...Must be nice on the Autoroute
Old 07-29-2004 | 11:16 AM
993C4
Instructor

I was just in Leipzig, Weissach and Zuffenhausen a month ago. The trip was organized by the Porsche Club of Singapore.
We stayed at the Westin Leipzig. We did the factory tour in Leipzig, got to see Cayennes and the CGT assembly line. Simply incredible. We also got to drive all the different variations of Cayennes on the Leipzig circuit, but we didn't get to drive on the off-road track. That would probably have been very interesting and if you get a chance, I would ask to try the off-road track.
I aslo managed to catch the CGT testing on the circuit and car being assembled in the assembly line. Every car is hand built. They only produce 2 cars per day and so far, only 200 odd cars have been built and delivered. Only 1500 will be built and as of June this year 1300 have been sold, so if you hurry, you can still place an order for the last 200 units. It only cost a eye popping 450,000 Euro.
There's also a small Porsche Museum in Leipzig but it was somewhat dissapointing. I felt the Museum in Zuffenhausen has a better collection of cars.
If you get a chance, you should try and participate in the Porsche sport driving school. You get to drive GT2s, GT3s & Turbos under the supervision of Porsche instructors. That would have made my trip complete.
Old 07-29-2004 | 11:32 AM
AlexO
Intermediate

JP,
Absolutlely, check the birth place of Carrera GT out and just ignore all the Peppers! Sachsen (or Saxonia for English speakers) is a most beautiful part of Eastern Germany. I can not say much about Leipzig as a city, but downtown Dresden, Weimar and some other places around are very pretty and are of a great historic significance. Naturally, you need to take your Porsche, A4 should have some parts without speed limits and it has very nice high speed sweepers. And you can not ignore Dresdener and Freiberger beer, I supported both breweries heavily as a student long time ago.
Alex
’95 993 Polar Silver
Old 07-29-2004 | 11:36 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the infos!

concerning the eye popping price of the CGT, I saw one out of control on the Catalunya F1 circuit during the Porsche parade this year. It left the track, went for a 360 on the grass and came back on the asphalt where it stopped without touching anything.... 450000€ doesn't obviously mean the same for everybody!

Concerning the German Highways: yes it's very tempting to go up there with my car, but in november in northern Germany, this could send me straight to orbit....The weather will decide I think. On a dry afternoon, I saw 290km/h on the tacho! Must be around 275 real. At that speed, the stability is amazing, and when you hit the brakes, it's even more "extraordinaire"! The biggest problem nowadays is to find a portion of highway without speed limit and no traffic!

Cheers
JP
Old 07-29-2004 | 11:42 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Alexo,

as Belgian, I cannot ignore your recommendation for the two breweries!

Prosit!
Old 07-29-2004 | 01:30 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

I was there in June. Recommended!

Last edited by Jack Ennuste; 08-30-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2004 | 01:39 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have been to Leipzig many many times and it is one of the best places in the world. I didn't get to see the Porsche factory last time, but that entire area of Germany has the lion's share of historical and cultural treasures. Too many to list, but be sure to see the Thomaskirche, where J.S. Bach was the church organist and his house across the street. Check out the Hauptbahnhof - one of the largest train stations in the world. Check out the Voelkerschlachtsdenkmal - Napoleonic War Memorial. Dresden is truly one of the most beautiful cities in the world and will be even better in a few more years, when they have everything fixed. Musesums there are unbelievable. Eisenach and Weimar are also worthy of visits and there are countless gorgeous villages in between. I got to go to this area back when it was still Communist E. Germany and have spent a lot of time there since. The progress is amazing. Make sure you drink Radeberger and Wernesgruener beers. You are so lucky to get to go there. I miss it.
Old 07-30-2004 | 10:47 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Nice pictures Jack !

Rick, you know a lot about the area! I have a plan for 3 days travel included, but what you propose is tempting...I'll try to have a few more days off, to spent more time in the area.
You are from Alexandria! I've been there once with my wife. We stayed in a motel close to big satellite dishes in Alexandria (it was in 85). She was civil employee for the USAFE and got decorated by a general in the Pentagon! Big time! We spent a few days visiting Washington and the area. We brought good souvenirs from that trip.

Cheers
JP

Quick Reply: Visit to Porsche Leipzig